Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine cutting out briefly
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Have recently had a problem develop. Starting from cold, the engine will cut out for a second or less - sometimes more than once - after 1-3 minutes of driving. It does it whether I am at part throttle or at idle, so it's not likely to be ISC solenoid. Normally it keeps running, but twice it has stalled after accellerating into traffic :evil: as soon as I have matched speed and let off the throttle. I am thinking probably shonky TPS, and have a new one on order, but am not sure.

If I am idling in traffic during that 1-3 minutes, and it tries to cut out, the ECU picks up the drop in revs, the ISC opens up and it revs to about 1100-1200rpm with the brakes on, before dropping back to normal idle. As it's an automatic, the jump in revs can overcome the light braking (to hold the creep) and the car lurches forward - very exciting in bumper-to-bumper traffic :shock:

Also, when starting from cold, it idles very low, stumbles and threatens to stall for 3-5 seconds before settling down to around 750-800rpm.

I had a TI Performance custom J3 chip installed a while ago (pure magic!) and everything including idle was good. This problem cropped up a couple weeks later, so is probably not related, but who knows.

Any ideas? Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: Engine cutting out briefly
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

Mine has sometimes cut out and had trouble starting for a week or so, then after a few days or weeks, it won't start at all.

Every time this has happened it has been the fuel injection (green) or ECU (brown) relay under the coolant reservior. They go around the same time, so I just replace them both at the same time.

If it stops starting all together soon, that would be my first suspect (check for voltage coming out of your relays before you go replacing them), but given that you're recently modified your ECU, I can't help thinking there might be a problem there.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I got rid of the idle issues by simply resetting the computer, and it starts just fine, so it is probably not the relays. But the low idle on starting is gradually coming back over a period of weeks, so there is something odd going on there. I have replaced the TPS with a new one and swapped the ISC valve, but it has made no difference.

I am still having the problem with the idle swinging up and down and cutting out completely after a few minutes of driving, normally when I take my foot completely off the accelerator. It only happens in open loop, so I doubt the oxy sensor is involved. I'm trying to get hold of a replacement ECU at a reasonable cost to see if that solves it.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I got rid of the idle issues by simply resetting the computer, and it starts just fine, so it is probably not the relays. But the low idle on starting is gradually coming back over a period of weeks, so there is something odd going on there. I have replaced the TPS with a new one and swapped the ISC valve, but it has made no difference.

I am still having the problem with the idle swinging up and down and cutting out completely after a few minutes of driving, normally when I take my foot completely off the accelerator. It only happens in open loop, so I doubt the oxy sensor is involved. I'm trying to get hold of a replacement ECU at a reasonable cost to see if that solves it.

Can it be something stupid like alternator wires expanding and contracting?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Could be something oddball like that. I'll pull the codes and see if they tell me anything useful.

Thanks.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Could be something oddball like that. I'll pull the codes and see if they tell me anything useful.

Thanks.

Goodluck mate

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]