Fordmods Logo

Engine leaking oil: need help diagnosing problem (i6) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine leaking oil: need help diagnosing problem (i6)
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

ok, need help diagnosing problem.
Engine is only 30K old got fully rebuild, with AU head gasket, head work, bottom end balanced etc etc.

On sat arvo I realised some oil on the ground, opened up the bonnet to find oil spray marks underneath #1 & 2 spark plugs, and spayed all onto the firewall and down the block.

The oil seems to be coming from water pump area and sorta where the block meets the head, and I have also noticed oil sitting the welsh plug, whether it is running down or actually coming from there I don't know.

I get the impression that the oil is spaying out due to the amount of mess its made in the drivers side of the engine bay, but drove from geelong to melb doing 100, so that could be why.

This is the first leak its every head since it got put in my car last 12 months ago, the the engine feels as strong as its ever been

What could be the issue?

Cheers
Barnsy

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Firstly check power steering pump/lines.
Then tackle the tensioner pin/basket/housing (this would be the main culprit)
Lastly the timing cover itself.

They're about the only area's you can pin point on the i6 as the oil galleries are on the passenger side of the block.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

power steering leak,,if ya can get someone to sit in the car with the engine running and turn the steering wheel,you'l soon find your leak.

if not suspect the chain tensioner.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

is the oil like sprayed in the direction the Power Steering Pump turns? like is it sprayed on the underneath of the bonnet aswell?

I had this problem with my VN Commodore, I could Pull the pump rotary thing in and out, I know it's a commodore but I think the same would apply with the EA-ED's. If this is the case it's just the seal on that spinning thingo.

As I'm being a bum at home at the moment I could say come down to your house tomorrow and we could have a look at it together, seeing we are both in and near Geelong

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If it's your power steering, make sure you get it fixed quick. Power steering fluid are quiet flammable, if it hits the exhaust manifold it could start an engine fire.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
is the oil like sprayed in the direction the Power Steering Pump turns? like is it sprayed on the underneath of the bonnet aswell?

I had this problem with my VN Commodore, I could Pull the pump rotary thing in and out, I know it's a commodore but I think the same would apply with the EA-ED's. If this is the case it's just the seal on that spinning thingo.

As I'm being a bum at home at the moment I could say come down to your house tomorrow and we could have a look at it together, seeing we are both in and near Geelong

Thanks for the offer Speedy ED, I am in Melb for the rest of the work week, and will be moving house to the city next week permanently.

Its unlikely to be power steering fluid, it smells different and has a different texture let alone a different color, and power steering fluid is still 3/4 full.

There appears to be oil on the water pump extension where it meets the pulley.

I will get pix tomorrow to help diagnose the issue

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Did you remove the timing chain tensioner during the rebuild? If so did you make sure that the tensioner had a new O ring or aluminium washer fitted. The oil could be leaking from the tensioner assemby which is behind the power steering bracket and just up from the water pump. You should be able to tell the difference between power steering fluid and oil.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Did you remove the timing chain tensioner during the rebuild? If so did you make sure that the tensioner had a new O ring or aluminium washer fitted. The oil could be leaking from the tensioner assemby which is behind the power steering bracket and just up from the water pump. You should be able to tell the difference between power steering fluid and oil.

Yeah pretty much everything was pulled apart and sealed properly, photo's tomorrow in daylight should help,
As you have said it does seem to be coming from that general area where the tensioner assembly is

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I agree probably a tensioner leak. Happens alot.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As joolz mentioned, were new O-rings installed to the Cam chain tensioner? Also was a bit of gasket maker glue put on the Tensioner retainer plug which holds the filter basket into the actual retainer? (refer to image below, item on far left is retainer plug which has a bit of red on the thread...that's where I have put some gasket maker to prevent oil leakage from there).

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all your help, will have to wait until the weekend to get it fixed

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Post subject: Re: Engine leaking oil: need help diagnosing problem (i6)
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Anyone know what the end result of this was?

Is this a servicable item or do I need to pay someone to do this for me. I don't want to mess anything up, as in timing tension or anything like that?

Post subject: Re: Engine leaking oil: need help diagnosing problem (i6)
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

check for a drip of oil on the bottom 10mm bolt of the power steer bracket,where the bracket bolts to the front of the head.if there is oil there pull the ps pump off,and the p/s bracket off and look up the hole of the 10mm bolt.im betting there's oil in there.clean the hole out with carby cleaner or something similar.fill the hole with a good silicon,smear the bolt shaft in silicon,silicone in the crush tube in the ps bracket,and under the bolt head.refit everything and let it cure before starting the engine.
this problem is happening alot to ef/el and au falcons,the 10mm bolt goes through the timing cover into the block near an O ring befind the timing cover for the tensioner oil feed.if this O ring leaks it leaks out this bolt,not out the side of the timing cover.

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]