Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: engine missing
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane

WA, Australia

aaaaagggggghhhhhhh my engine has dissapeared,
nah not really but i thought it was funny
i have an ED XR6 with shaved and ported head,pod filter,extractors exhaust,typical everyday mods,i have a misfire that happens intermitantly at idle and around 2000-2500 it misses more and is very evident,the leads are old but it sounds to be different to lead misfire or plugs as they are new,it also puffs sometimes reasonable clouds of white smoke when you flatten it,does any 1 think the map sensor playin up?
it blows a bit of blackish brown smoke every now and then.i did a compression test and that came up ok,the bearings are ok,oil pressure is reasonable but drops when its hot as usual,i am going to thinken the oil up as it only has 15w30 in it,any help???
PLEASE

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

valves or valve springs could be worn, might explain the puff of smoke everytime you flatten it.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Map sensor issue

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

seriously need some help with this or om gonna scrap the car

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

could be map sensor i would change leads and plugs to be sure white smoke could be valve stem seals when its cold or it could also be rings speakin from my cars past lol

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i did a compression test and it came up ok so i sort of phased rings out of question but then i looked at bearings when engine was out and the looked ok but my oil pressure is low and i just changed oil in it today and put a stabilizer in it too,its not even regoed but i need things to be sweet so i can lesence it

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

my comp test i did wasnt to bad eaither and oil pressure was fine but still burnt oil

No dose No Care

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i was sure the bearings were ok and the other day when i drove it oil pressure was stabilized and it stayed good,the car drove really good except when you flatten it then it puffs smoke but i think it goes away after a bit when you flog it

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

man rings have nothing to do with burning oil they do how help keep oil presure rings are what cause burning oil or leaking valve stem seals

No dose No Care

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i just started my car up again this mornin and when its cold it blows fairly large clouds of white smoke but it does go away after about 5 minutes of idle or couple minutes driving,any 1 think valve stem seals

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

First, as above, replace your leads, they may be working but below optimal conductive levels. Make sure your cat is actually flowing, you would be surprised how many times we've checked "good"catalytic converters and found them to be cause of engine misses and strange puffs of smoke. Then it may just need a long highway drive with a bottle or two of Spitfire, or similar, petrol additive in the fuel tank. Put some Spitfire into an empty household hand pumped spray bottle. Get away from any houses and when the engine is warm stop and remove the air inlet hose from the throttle body. With the engine running fairly quickly spray the carb/injector cleaner into the inlet, [do not use a pressure can for safety reasons]. The engine will gag a little but get keep the revs up, 2k max. Watch all the clouds of white smoke which should billow out of the exhaust, this is unwanted deposits clearing out of your combustion chambers/manifolds. If theres not masses of white smoke then you know your engine fuel circuits are clean. Replace air inlet piping and run the car normally at highway speeds to help the petrol additive do its work. Doing the above can only help your engine, so it won't be a waste of time and will at least eliminate a couple of the major causes of your engines symptoms
Cheers
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

the cat convertor was knakered so i just bashed it out,i will replace it at a later date,ive had 98 octane fuel in the tank with a couple of bottles of treatment,ive also cleand the throttle body but when i put the manifold on it was black and gummy inside,the valve stem seals were new but with the clouds of white smoke when cold and when you start it appears to be the seals,oil pressure picks up when the revs pick up so hopefully i should be ok to drive it about 500 kays to perth

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Fezagero,
Great that you've found the cat was stuffed, should fix up a lot. Your run to Perth will sure help, but if you have time still do the spray trick as soon as your engines warm. Five minutes or so will clean out so much of the crap that a blocked cat causes, save you heaps in fuel and enable your additives to work better. When in fuel they are only good for keeping deposits from forming, stuck up the throat in more concentrated form they really clean it out. White smoke usually indicates fuel or fuel deposits not oil, I would guess your stem seals are not the problem. Can't be positive because I can't smell the smoke from here. LOL
Oil pressure normally picks up when the revs rise on most vehicles with crankspeed related pumps.
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

thanx for your help,stem seals shouldnt be leaking as they were replaced when head was reconed which was about 3 months ago,what sort of spray is it i need and where would i get it from,im probably gonna do the bearings once i move so then i know there ok,the bottom end has about 250k on it so i might aswell plus i have had two othe falcons and there pressure gauge sat on about the 3rd bar when idlin,mine sits on the 1st sometimes just above zero,picks up to bout 6 when revs get to bout 3000-3500,car drives well except for the surgeing which i am puttin down to leads,does drink the fuel though

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How old is your oil filter? Actually its not age that matters but how much its had to clean up. As with the cat, a shagged oil filter can cause you grief. if in any doubt replace it. As far as the spray is concerned use Spitfire or a similar brand of fuel additive/injector cleaner in a hand spray bottle [eg empty Handy Andy/ shower cleaner etc] that you may have around the house. Set the spray nozzle to a "mist" setting if you can, you will only need a couple of hundred mls. and what you don't use pour into the petrol tank. I have found the best stuff is carby cleaner in a pressure can but using this near an operating inlet requires much caution and so I can't recommend it to anyone.
Clean the inlets as above, change oil filter, long drive and hopefully it will be much better.
Cheers
Paul

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next