Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine mount noise
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:04 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Once again, since the forums died.

My EA is making some strange loud 'knock' noises during accellerating, and decellerating. It also makes the noise when the engine is switched off followed by a slight vibration.

I've figured its not the brakes/calipers... It kinda sounds like the sway bar, but I don't think it is as the noise can happen when not even moving and all the bushes are intact and the D mounts secure.

What could it be???? Sometimes I think its comming from the rear, but I generally I can feel it through the firewall.

I was reading my Gregories Manual, and it states that noise after engine stopping is generally a loose flywheel. Does the rest of what I've described sound like a loose flywheel????

Is there anything else I can look at to try and find the noise??? Could an engine mount be doing this??

Any help please!!!! :wink:

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Last edited by Lukieman on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

I had similar probs with my engine mount. Changed it and she was rite as rain.

Would rattle, shake, bounce around. Have a good close look and you should see the crack.

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:34 am 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

I was driving it for a few hours tonight, and then after booting it a little to do a U turn, all of a sudden the bastard is now vibrating at Idle...

Its never done it before, shakes the whole interior around, and the dash vibrates like mad. Obviously it only happens at Idle speed. All cylinders are firing as I tested them all at idle, and there is a RPM drop on each cylinder.

I had a look at both the engine mounts (in the dark with a torch) and I have no idea if they are okay or not. Could it be the transmission mounts??? Engine mounts?!! Cracked intake gasket!???

The only other thing I checked was the timing... at Idle it sits around 15° BTDC, as I increase the RPM, it moves to about 20-30°BTDC, with more RPM the timing moves to a point where the light no longer reflects the timing mark on the cranckshaft pully.

Would it be my engine mounts or my timing creating the vibrations?!?!?!?

Also, it smells like its burning a little rich again... f**k!!!!

Help guys!!! No car, No job!!!

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Try looking at the front end

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:08 pm 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

Thanks for the few who were able to help on this one...

I figured it out, and the passenger side engine mount was missing ALL three bolts connecting the engine to the mount!!!!

How that happened I dont know, but putting them all back in has recified the vibrations.

The only thing that has me f**k is, I have no idea how ALL three bolts just happened to fall out. The support frame on the other side of the engine for the transmission was also missing a bolt...

I hope this doco helps anyone else who has the same prob.

SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

my cars doing this, only under braking and turning :s

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:25 am 
Smokin em up

NT, Australia

Just out of interest, also found the pivot bolt on the engine mount was loose... it could be moved by lightly pressing it. Tightened it up, and its basically eliminated all those annoying sounds I was questioning earlier.

But no wonder I have been getting a lot noise up front, thing thats got me worried now is, a lot of nuts n' bolts under my engine have been either loose or missing.

Does this phenomina happen regularly!?!!? How does a car just LOOSE bolts?!!

SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Lol, sounds like you've had fun! But id be wondering about a few things too. Ford ran out of loctite?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

lol, thats exactly what happens to me... now I know what it is, as soon as it starts doing that s**t... Hydraulic engine mounts on the way.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I had my engine mounts replaced as i found that when accelerate and braked i got a thud and vibrating sound happening. When i pulled them off they were split trough the middle. the noises stopped after i replace 2 of the three. I guess i should of replaced the transmission one but i couldn't be bothered.

As for the loose bolts well maybe the previous person didn't bother to tighten it properly and use locktight on it. Make sure your bolts haven't been cross-threaded. And use locktight glue. Make sure u tension the bolts to the correct Nm. That might be y ur bolts came loose last time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]