Fordmods Logo

engine questions 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

with fuel efficiency will i get atleast the same as std with thermo fans or better

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

sorry to get sidetracked but you played with the vernier gear troyman ? i played with mine heaps and found you can dial it in to work from idle or work over 3-4 grand. and it does go pretty well.
like most people that pay for a billet 519 i concur with wanting something else, in fact i wouldve saved the dosh and put an ecu/350holley with a speedway cam.
i'm pretty close to pulling the inection off mine and running a holley for consistancy,but don't like the idea of changing it over at rego time.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:52 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
with fuel efficiency will i get atleast the same as std with thermo fans or better

it will be about the same! the thermos dont make stuff all difference...

as for economy with the crow cam i went to the south coast at xmas i got 680km to the tank.
the trip comp had an average of 9.8ltrs per 100km..

but around home(city driving)its about 14 ltrs per 100kms..
which is about the same as it was with the std cam...
but with this cam i dont need to give it as much throttle to get it up and moving..

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:58 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
sorry to get sidetracked but you played with the vernier gear troyman ? i played with mine heaps and found you can dial it in to work from idle or work over 3-4 grand. and it does go pretty well.
like most people that pay for a billet 519 i concur with wanting something else, in fact i wouldve saved the dosh and put an ecu/350holley with a speedway cam.
i'm pretty close to pulling the inection off mine and running a holley for consistancy,but don't like the idea of changing it over at rego time.

i ended up with it set at 0 deg on the vernia gear..
its a comprimise.. one way it was slugish down low and good up top, the other way it had huge balls of the line but ran out of puff at about 3800.
and the way it is at the moment it starts its power at about 1800rpm and is strong to about 4500rpm but still revs to 5500 easy.. so its ok
but im now looking at a bigger cam...

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer, fair enough i got similar results, at the end of the day though, you want bigger bang you gotta get a bigger cam :p

i've also got issues from me being a lazy (unt running a bbm without a switch causing an invisible brick wall of lost power at 3800 and shyte loads of off the line torque or slug under 3800 and shower of shyte over 3800, and considering the longivity of these engines i'd prefer to keep mine under 3800 in day to day operations. so i'd prefer a bigger cam but still dialed in down low. i've got mine advanced (can't remember how much off the top of my head) but haven't replaced timing chain. so possibly could equivilate to yours troyman. never can tell with these 250's though, some are just freaks and some are just dogs.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thats not too bad though a little lower would be good was it 14l/100km in the town when those ford was new

but thats still good though better than expected.

will a high torque 2222002 cam keep the fuel atleast the same and what about advancing the timing a little

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

double post

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thanks guys

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
super smooth idle? a new cam for low down power will throw that idea out the window.

If he's looking for a cam that's good down low I would think the idle wouldn't be affected much.

Don't know about the crow cams, I have used the wade 1636 and its quite a good profile, and with a vernier gear you could adjust it to get torque earlier. Apart from that talk to the people grinding the cams and ask their thoughts too.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

just thought id ask here instead of putting out another post.

where do you reccomend i ring to get low km el engines preferably with accessories thats just had the head done or au engines preferably with accs for around 5-600 including freight to sa

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if you have to pay freight you won't get one that cheap....Pretty sure the freight would be $100 from within your state alone.

Best bet would probably be to scout the wreckers or this forum for cars with low kays getting wrecked

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

need one with warranty for a au engine or a el engine that has had the head done

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i doubt you will get one with low kays, a warranty, accessories and that has had (i am assuming by head you mean head gasket?) the head gasket recently re done for $600.

To get an AU engine to fit e series you will need to modify either the k frame or the sump too (but there's sticky's at the top of this section on how to do this).

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

will it be worth me getting a au engine put in using a distributor or getting another eseries block and putting the new head on later or using the old block. old block still runs good though

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fairmont1 wrote:
will it be worth me getting a au engine put in using a distributor or getting another eseries block and putting the new head on later or using the old block. old block still runs good though

i think this has gone on just long enough. DUDE use the search function.
it will answer all these question and many more

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2