Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
What sort of results does the one on the stand get on a leakdown test? :P

Excellent - As expected of a new engine. :wink:

sooty72 wrote:
How do know clearances, tolerances, torque settings and the like by "experience and seat-of-the-pants"? Or are you one of these wombats who just does everything up tight with a ratchet and can't see why that isn't correct? Don't encourage a rookie engine builder to go by the seat of his pants, when you know full well he will just get into trouble, and it will cost him way more than a $35 manual from super cheap.
I have been building engines for 20 years or more, and I use the appropriate manual or book EVERY time.
The scariest thing is someone with a little knowledge, who thinks he knows it all. But as we all know, the dumb ones have the best luck, so you keep going like you are, and we'll see you at the wreckers buying your parts.

He asked for a how-to guide, which as a trainer I generally find useless. Most people learn better by disassembling and getting their hands dirty. Unless you have a factory manual, as most of the other books I have seen are wrong.

And of course you need torque figures. Which ones would you like, I can generally rattle them off the top of my head. Or if asked nicely, I'd scan and post the book page on there for the benefit of everyone. But then as the good engine builder you are, you would realise you don't need factory manuals for torque figures.

Same with clearances and tolerances as well. All the book does is give suggested clearance values, which save you from calculating the values manually.

But in my case, I give the block to a professional. Let him do all the clearance work. He has the right tools and necessary experience to do the job properly. Its not something an amateur should tackle I would think.

As to the rest of the assembly, its simply a collection of around 60 bolts and the assurance of putting the end caps the right way round, piston notches to the front and silicon on the joins between timing cover and block.

I do hope that sways your impression of me. Considering all the member's cars I've touched and worked on, and no one has had a problem or crashed and died, either I do know what I'm on about... Or I really do have some pretty good dumb blind luck so far. f**k me, I hope it holds out. :wink:

P.S. I don't scour wreckers for parts for my car. New only. 8-)

P.P.S. My comment was said more in jest than anything, aimed at particular members. They know who they are. Apologies for offending your sensibilities. :cry:

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Thanks guys. I'll upload the rest when I get home tonight and I'll send phongus the zip file. If he can host it all as one file then we'll go with that and I'll delete the individual attachments.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

the jim mock one is ok but not in depth enough for beginners. best bet is to have someone with more knowledge around to overlook what u are doing and have the work shop manual or gregorys manual

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

no luck guys. Even as a word doc its too big. Can I email it to someone for them to edit or host somewhere?

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EBMontTom wrote:
no luck guys. Even as a word doc its too big. Can I email it to someone for them to edit or host somewhere?

E-mail it to me...

phongus@optusnet.com.au

Label it engine rebuild...I'll try and make a PDF file out of it at work.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I have received an email from Tom (EBMontTom) and converted the Word Document to a PDF file format. Though it did reduce the file size, it is still about 2.5MB in size. So for those who are still living in the 90s, it'll be a long download for you. For everyone else with high speed internet connection, should be quick and easy.

There is one other problem though. I have uploaded it to a free web host server which I used for my uni project and back then they had a limit to how many can view my site and how many uploads/downloads from the site. I am unsure if it's still the case now (been 2 years since) but I hope at least 10 people can download the file before the site decides to close mine for the month due to reaching the limit...

Anyways here is the PDF file of the engine rebuild with images courtesy of EBMontTom who got it from Best Fords Magazine, Issue 5.

http://www.freewebs.com/phongus/Inline6%20Rebuild.pdf

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2