Engine Rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine Rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Just got quoted $599.xx for ACL Race Series pistons/rings from Repco. Strangely enough they said that their supplier can also do an ACL engine rebuild kit to suit an AU even though it isn't on their website for around $659. Didn't pay much attention as intended on sourcing everything myself or from machinist when time came but what are people's thoughts on the kit price? I have a feeling they may not know what they are quoting on...

Also does anyone happen to have or know where to find genuine ford manuals in pdf form? I only want the part on engine rebuilds and steering clear of buying non genuine or paying $335 unless I have to.

Finally, whose got a machinist to recommend in the brisbane/sunny coast area?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
Just got quoted $599.xx for ACL Race Series pistons/rings from Repco. Strangely enough they said that their supplier can also do an ACL engine rebuild kit to suit an AU even though it isn't on their website for around $659. Didn't pay much attention as intended on sourcing everything myself or from machinist when time came but what are people's thoughts on the kit price? I have a feeling they may not know what they are quoting on...

Also does anyone happen to have or know where to find genuine ford manuals in pdf form? I only want the part on engine rebuilds and steering clear of buying non genuine or paying $335 unless I have to.

Finally, whose got a machinist to recommend in the brisbane/sunny coast area?

$600 seems rather cheap...I think I got quoted $900ish from Repco...but my memory is shot.

An engine rebuilder might be able to get it cheaper since they buy bulk.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep, I expected around $600 for the slugs and rings, thought the kit with gaskets/bearings would have been closer to the grand mark though. Once I get a manual will list and price up all the bits I need and see how it compares (will have a better idea then of what isn't included in this 'kit' too).

Ahh, wish I had jumped on a genuine set of manuals I saw go on ebay a while ago for $100 then!

Uni and work haven't been stressing me out enough lately, I figure I need an engine build to up the blood pressure a bit. That and I have helped with builds for friends cars but never for my own and the thrill of having done the manual conversion has long worn off :lol: Start a new 2nd job next week and have a healthy looking tax return, so as soon as have paid the rest of a surfing trip for July will be on the hunt for a 2nd hand vct engine for stripping.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha, at $7xxx I think I might have to pass on that one! Plus then there's no fun and swearing when I break rings putting pistons in...

Thanks for the offer, will see where I'm at when I'm ready to go as far as engines go....I only just got made to get rid of an '83 911 shell (minus engine and box) because it was sitting here taking up room and either it was going or I was going (downsides of living with parents) :cry: So gotta make sure I have the $$$ to get my a** moving once I start buying parts...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I will keep that in mind.

Also who knows how far the pistons sit down the bore standard? From my calculations if I have them sitting at 15thou down plus an AU gasket should give me in the vicinity of 10.2-10.3 static compression (working off 66cc head?). I usually run 95 fuel anyway and would like to continue, plus have the tune fairly safe incase of bad fuel/need to put a bit of 91 in for whatever reason. I'm thinking with a cam to suit this should be possible?

This is going from two CR calculators on the net....doing it in excel I have ended up with 11.2:1 and still trying to figure out what I have screwed :roll: Does anyone make I beam rods to suit? I have seen spoon make I beams but apparently they are no longer available :(

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]