Fordmods Logo

Engine Rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine Rebuild
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Just a simple question, I'm pretty mechanically minded but this has always intrigued me...

Is an engine rebuild basically like getting a new engine? As my fairmont is getting a little old (300,000 kms) but still runs great, is it worth getting a rebuild sometime in the future just to re-strengthen it, i guess?

And what is an average price for a rebuild, for people who have had one done?

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

yes it is basically getting a new engine, EXCEPT the metal (block, rods, crank, etc...) may have hair cracks in them and suffer from major stress and strain, but for a stock motor, this wont really mater, after 300000km's your compression ratio couldve droped from 9:1 (example) UP TO an 8:1 (depending on how hard you drive it. Clearances form, parts start changing weight, power loss increase (not to mention the camshaft design 300000km's later, its been grinded down a fair bit that valves arent opening enough, timing has gone off, etc, etc...)

All in all, your motors only good for a POP or an everyday driver, but if your considering on pumping some horses out of it, a rebuild is the answer (not to mention blueprinting and balancing)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

Run it till it starts smoking and then rebuild it. It'll be an as-new job if you do it properly as you will be boring it out, replacing the piston skirts, and re-balancing and re-grinding the crank.

Cost - can't tell you exactly for Victoria but if I did the job myself, around a grand in parts. Around $2-2.5 k to have it all done for you. Possibly a better option for you would be to look at a secondhand motor with lower kays on it. It'll be a quicker job and a hell of a lot cheaper. Sounds like you're only using the car as a family hack type thing so you dont want to spend big dollars unless you have to.

1xEB with full EF Ghia interior and AU motor
1xXF with EF engine and full EF wiring. Now with milled AU head and Wade 1004 cam - damn she goes now!

Both sedans, both manual, both fast! The xfs quicker tho; one day I'll even take em down the strip :P

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: G60

VIC, Australia

Rebuilding can be expensive, a fair bit involved, but done properly you get a stronger motor than from the factory

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Toa wrote:
Rebuilding can be expensive, a fair bit involved, but done properly you get a stronger motor than from the factory
not if done through "Mark from it's performance" He can do engine exchanges where you swap ur tired/dead engine for a rebuilt one or he can rebuild your own engine... from mild to wild... not too expesive either... from experience!!

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

I had an HM 5 star reconditioned motor fitted to my cpi EB,cost $2700 drive in drive away, with a 3 year warranty.Very happy with it after 2 years. Maybe this is the easiest way, if you intend to keep the beast.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

I had an HM 5 star reconditioned motor fitted to my cpi EB,cost $2700 drive in drive away, with a 3 year warranty.Very happy with it after 2 years. Maybe this is the easiest way, if you intend to keep the beast.

The older I get the better I was!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]