Fordmods Logo

Engine running too cool 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Walker wrote:
Yeah Arm you're full of it, and this is coming from a guy who posted this:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
well i changed my oil today from castrol gtx3 15W/40 to castrol GTX2 20W/50, and my exhaust note has improved heaps, doesn't sound like a tractor anymore. Also the pacemakers are not making a loud cam overlap noise anymore either. Looks like the thinner oil was causing all my exhaust problems.


He has been voted in the "Tool Award" for 2006 LOL.



Talk to any engine builder buddy, the thicker oil you use will reduce the cam overlap noise coming from the extractor pipes and thus can change your engine note a little.

you must not be the sharpest "tool" in the shed....lol.lol....lol.........

s**t eh, i've built no less than 20 engines (Sorry lost count) and have never heard an engine change note like that.
Cam overlap noise out the exhaust from oil.... I think you've got both hands on it.
Try putting 20/50 in an AU 6.... Go ahead, i want you to lol.
You truly deserve to win the award after these comments.... Bwahahahahaha.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Only a idiots would use higher then 15/40w oils, unless they're driving 180km all day. it'll quieten engine mechanical noise down abit & better compression seal on the rings. so all you hear is more exhaust notes & less smoke on the rear view.

Yes, arm79 is right as well, sensors can play up over time.

EL_Fairmont, yes 92 stat was to meet EPA guidelines. did you know about the 82 stat engine wear bit at all?


hey Walker, it must sound like a tractor with 20/50, I feel sorry for those HLA when its a cold start. :lol:

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

Walker wrote:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
Walker wrote:
Yeah Arm you're full of it, and this is coming from a guy who posted this:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
well i changed my oil today from castrol gtx3 15W/40 to castrol GTX2 20W/50, and my exhaust note has improved heaps, doesn't sound like a tractor anymore. Also the pacemakers are not making a loud cam overlap noise anymore either. Looks like the thinner oil was causing all my exhaust problems.


He has been voted in the "Tool Award" for 2006 LOL.



Talk to any engine builder buddy, the thicker oil you use will reduce the cam overlap noise coming from the extractor pipes and thus can change your engine note a little.

you must not be the sharpest "tool" in the shed....lol.lol....lol.........

s**t eh, i've built no less than 20 engines (Sorry lost count) and have never heard an engine change note like that.
Cam overlap noise out the exhaust from oil.... I think you've got both hands on it.
Try putting 20/50 in an AU 6.... Go ahead, i want you to lol.
You truly deserve to win the award after these comments.... Bwahahahahaha.


Au falcons should run a 10W/30 grade oil, so why would i want to do that. e-series engines can run 15W/40 or 20W/50.

cheers...........

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Au falcons should run a 10W/30 grade oil, so why would i want to do that. e-series engines can run 15W/40 or 20W/50.

cheers...........


The only reason why you would run 20/50 on a E-series is because of the 82 degree stat wear thinggy. LOL

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
arm79 wrote:
fiftyone wrote:
do the dash trip thing to find the exact thing. i spoke to a radiator fixit man and the ideal ones for the fords is a 81


Yes... And the radiator fixit man has spent millions of $$$ and hours of hot and cold weather testing as well, to state that as fact. :shock:

Ford specify a 91 deg thermostat. I've used them for the past 6 + years in my EL and never had a heating or cooling problem. Every Ford that has come out of the facotry uses that temp thermostat.

The ECU is designed to run the engine at this temperature. Anything below may cause you to loose a few fuel saving features.

The needle sounds about right where its sitting. Look up the doco on dash diagnostics to bring up the diags. This will tell you the engine temp as a number.

The problem may also be your temperature sensor. As they age they become less reactive to temperature changes. They get covered in crap, etc, etc. When I changed mine, not only did I get more power and less pinging, but better fuel economy and a more accurate temperature gauge.


Man that is a crock of s**t.

The only reason why ford run a 92 degree thermostat is to meet emission standards. The computer will still work fine with an 82 degree thermostat. BPT performance shop sell these thermostats and have done enough tests to show it will not affect fuel economy. The ECU will still go in lean cruise mode.

On my car the temp needle sits just below the L. Never had a problem and fuel economy hasn't changed from when it was running a 92 degree thermostat.


Meeting emissions or not, the engines are still tuned to run at and above 92 deg.

The last time I saw the actual engine tune of one of the beasts, it showed that there was a fuel multiplier until 85 or so degrees, plus lean cruise would not turn on over 85 degrees.

One can only hope you get EPA tested with your 82deg thermostat then. :wink:

BTW, Based on your solid advice, I went from 15W/40 to 20W/50 to 30W/70 oil in my car for a better exhaust note. Your's must be special, as my note didn't change. :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Only a idiots would use higher then 15/40w oils, unless they're driving 180km all day. it'll quieten engine mechanical noise down abit & better compression seal on the rings. so all you hear is more exhaust notes & less smoke on the rear view.

Yes, arm79 is right as well, sensors can play up over time.

EL_Fairmont, yes 92 stat was to meet EPA guidelines. did you know about the 82 stat engine wear bit at all?


hey Walker, it must sound like a tractor with 20/50, I feel sorry for those HLA when its a cold start. :lol:

Hahaha s**t yeah, going back a few years ago i ran 20/50 in my EF, it caused it to tick it's a*** off on cold start... It might be good in places like Darwin.
Anyway, as far as i'm concerned this guy has already won the tool award.
He reminds of that guy a cpl of years back who said his EA could hit 260 + kmh.
Anyone remember that tool?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

just have a read of this from a site sponser..

http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/Ford%20Thermostats.htm

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

Doesn't say what temp thermostat they are using for the EF/EL's in question. Only the 5.4's and the Turbo I6's.

On my EL, my 91 deg thermostat has my always had my engine running at a comfortable and constant 93/94 deg.

If it went to 105 like they are claiming, the needle would be on the N or O mark on the gauge and near overheat.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

92º thermostat in my EL kept the coolant temp at 92º-94º as per Climate control in diagnostic mode.
Temp on gauge on 'A' all year round.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
just have a read of this from a site sponser..

http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/Ford%20Thermostats.htm

Have you got a link about your claim on thick oil?
Do BPT recommend it and do they also state the overlap sound comes out the extractors?
LOL
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

you just can't hack it that i was right about the thermostat.

it's as simple as that,...

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
you just can't hack it that i was right about the thermostat.

it's as simple as that,...


Are you related to an EB V8 from Sydney?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
you just can't hack it that i was right about the thermostat.

it's as simple as that,...


Are you related to an EB V8 from Sydney?

Sounds like it :?

Only proof you provided on the 82 degree thermostat was a small bit of info which is related to the BA 5.4 and BA DOHC 4L Turbo.
Explain how that backs up your claim?

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

I would claim all that if it was my product or a reseller. :lol: >>> http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/Ford%20Thermostats.htm

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
you just can't hack it that i was right about the thermostat.

it's as simple as that,...

You still didn't answer my question about the note from the extractors.... Any engine builders here care to comment?
Oh how i wish Flaming was here, you'd be my punching bag biatch.
I have to admit, you have amused me and made me laugh somewhat, but only because of your stupidity and lack of knowledge when you claim to know so much. Yet another Magazine Mechanic :roll:
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names