Engine Smoke in the Morning 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine Smoke in the Morning
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

hey guys. i've got a 4.0L EB GLi auto sedan and i've got a problem where my car blows smoke in the monring. originally when i bought the car it had a whole bunch of problems ie. blown head gasket, 2 leaking welsh plugs, worn rotor button, worn dizzy cap and old crappy leads. i fixed all of these myself (i'm not an absoloute tool with cars so i'm fairly confident i didn't put anything back wrong). after all that work i accidentally overfilled the engine with oil which i drained back to the correct level after 2 days of driving. now when i start the car in the morning (its about 15 degrees) and i let it idle for a couple of minutes it makes a knocking noise then starts to blow white/blue smoke out the zorst and i can't figure out whats wrong. it doesn't happen when its warm (it still knocks :cry: but it doesn't smoke) and i don't have any idea what the problem is. the car is parked so the its slightly lower at the back if that is relevant at all.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Post subject: smoke.
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

Maybe valve stem oil seals. The oil gets past them when the engine is hot and not running and is in the cyl when u start up.
Does it blow a little smoke if u leave it ideling and then rev it.

Just a thought

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Post subject: smoke.
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

Maybe valve stem oil seals. The oil gets past them when the engine is hot and not running and is in the cyl when u start up.

Just a thought

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

mines got a leaking fuel injector when i start in the morning it smokes . Does it stink of petrol or oil when you start it.

Post subject: Re: smoke.
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

falconea wrote:

Just a thought

my previous car was an XF and that had stuffed vavle steam seals. that would blow a puff of smoke everytime i started it whereas my EB now doesn't blow it on startup, only after idling for a couple of minutes. so i don't think its stem seals.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

mreb wrote:
mines got a leaking fuel injector when i start in the morning it smokes . Does it stink of petrol or oil when you start it.

my car is actually on LPG and i never run it on petrol but i thought that it was a leaky injector that dropped enuf petrol into the plenum over night so i disconnected the fuel pump but it's still doing it.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

HOW MANY KS ARE ON IT? I WOULD SAY THAT SEALS ARE STARTING TO GO HARD AND MAYBE IT IS STARTING TO RELEASE A BIT OF OIL FROM THE BOTTOM END

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MARK.TANIA wrote:
HOW MANY KS ARE ON IT? I WOULD SAY THAT SEALS ARE STARTING TO GO HARD AND MAYBE IT IS STARTING TO RELEASE A BIT OF OIL FROM THE BOTTOM END

225 000ks. i don't know what sort of a life the car has had either.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]