Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Enging swap/working engine
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone. As some may know, H3AT's car was written off due to some lady not giving way. If the wreckers don't pay him heaps for the wreck, he will keep the wreck and sell parts...so if anyone is up for EL parts just holla me or him :P

I am taxing his engine cause it has lower kms and is running smoother then mine and want to drop that engine into my fairmont.

First of all, if I was to swap the engines (both engines are out of an EL...mines 96 and his is 98), do I need to tell my insurance company and VicRoads about it, quoting what not engine numbers?

Secondly...if the 98 motor is a hybrid...would it run with the my EL computer? If so then there is another problem out of the way.

I am guessing it will be a straight swap, so no problems in taking out and dropping in.

ETA for this type of project with my estimation would be about 5 days...considering it took me 3 days doing a T5 conversion.

Another thing I am wondering about is...what would be better. To do up the 98 motor slightly...such as putting a mild cam with better valve springs, vernier gear, lower compression and extractors? while the 96 motor is going to be rebuilt for a turbo/supercharger? or the other way around...98 to be blown or 96 to be mild?

blown motor is going into another shell :wink: :wink:

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Phong you and your bloody ideas. BA motor, Blown EL motor.... I take it you will need to use my ramps for this aswell? am I ever going to see them again? Lol.

Post subject: Re: Enging swap/working engine
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

phongus wrote:
Hey everyone. ..

Another thing I am wondering about is...what would be better. To do up the 98 motor slightly...such as putting a mild cam with better valve springs, vernier gear, lower compression and extractors? while the 96 motor is going to be rebuilt for a turbo/supercharger? or the other way around...98 to be blown or 96 to be mild?

cheers

phong =P~

Hey, if the 98 EL Engine is gonna stay N/A, do u mean raise the compression?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
Phong you and your bloody ideas. BA motor, Blown EL motor.... I take it you will need to use my ramps for this aswell? am I ever going to see them again? Lol.

bahaha...well BA Motor was way out of my league...my knowledge of that engine was just hopeless. At least with an EL motor I know what's going on. Blown EL motor will be a project...so I can see it collecting dust in the next couple of months...or till the end of the year. Mildly done motor is going into my daily driver. So I will have a spare motor sitting here :P

BTW you can pick up your stands...they are just sitting here :S

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Post subject: Re: Enging swap/working engine
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

locknut wrote:
phongus wrote:
Hey everyone. ..

cheers

phong =P~

Hey, if the 98 EL Engine is gonna stay N/A, do u mean raise the compression?

Oh yeah...raise compression sorry...I was thinking of the ratio figures, since the figures are smaller when compression is raised. Or am I completely wrong there??

phong =P~

EDIT: Yes...keeping one motor N/A and the other one blown...though I'm not sure which one to blow or to keep N/A.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have a feeling that the hybrid ECU's have a different catch code, but in reality it should be fine on your standard ECU.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Private9 wrote:
I have a feeling that the hybrid ECU's have a different catch code, but in reality it should be fine on your standard ECU.

Hmmm...so long as it runs I guess...if not I'll find I might just u se the ECU from his car. Is there a difference between futura and a fairmont (non Ghia) ECU's?

phong =P~

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

That's cool dude, a good comp ratio for the n/a would be close to 9.6:1 or nearing 10:1.

The blown one would prolly be around 8.6:1 or 8.4:1..

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

All you have to do is take it to vicroads, take a receipt for the engine and tell them you changed the engine, they'll come out and check the engine number and you're done.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Cool thanks locknut...will keep that in mind.

Didn't think it was that easy...thanks Walker.

I just have to wait if the wreck is kept or sold...hopefully he keeps it for the benefit of making more money for himself, me getting the motor and FM members in need of parts for their EL. :P

phong =P~

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

their is number on the ecu theyb are different numbers between the faironts and futuras, her eis the number you should have on back of comptuer,
the numbers for fiarmont you should have would be
96da-12a650-jb and the other number should be etv-15 i know the numbers on a futura are etv-14.
hope this helps, as long as these etv numbers are the same from one car to another then you will be fine. thes numbers i had to find as i needed a new puter for my fairmont.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]