Fordmods Logo

Enough is enougH! 

Page 6 of 8 [ 117 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
What flows more? a 3" piece of pipe that is about 2.5" long (say the tb for example) or a 3" pipe going from the TB to the filter (about 20" long). the short piece of pipe will flow greater then the long piece. What does this have to do with anything you ask? It means that the worst flowing component (pre manifold) is the intake piping, not the tb.

I'm pretty sure that the throttle body on these are fair bit smaller than 3". Secondly length of the pipe won't effect the flow, provided it's straight and all the same diameter and smooth. When there's bends and that they restrict flow.

There is still a loss. Its just more pronounced with smaller diameters and longer passages. Haven't studied fluid mechanics yet so if anyone has then maybe they can shed some light onto this. How big are the throttle bodies on E series falcons bearing in mind that XF throttle bodies were 3" diameter.

the tb is 65mm (2.559 inches) but the intake piping is still the flow restriction due to the bends. The 180 bend just befor the TB is the biggest culprit.

the was a test done by an Classic ford mag (UK) using a cortina fitted with a 2L pinto. it had a 2inch exhaust system that had two 90degree bend in it, they had those removed and replaced with a new section that used two two 45degree bends to do the same job. the car picked up 5hp using an everage of 4 run befor and 4 runs after. Proof the bends no mater how good will still reduce flow.

our intake have a 90 bend and an 180 bend the 180 bend resticts the already resticted (by the 90bend) air befor it enters the TB.

the most restrictive part of the intake pre manifold is the 180 turn that all the intakes have.

want the best flowing intake piping? get rid of your battery, it takes only 2- 45degree bends to get a pipe to where your bettery sits. you only need to work out how to stop heat from the headers getting to the intake

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Can you guys keep it quiet!!
Im still trying to do the math!

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Post subject: Re: Enough is enougH!
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
I realise everyone bags out 3in neck pods but i think it's about time people started thinker bigger!!!!!!!!!!!

3.5-4in pod setup with induction pipe to suit, dyno proven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone already knows that 3in pods only give minimal gain if anything. Go with R&D and pay a bit of money and you will see the results!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate, your a tug job!

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
the tb is 65mm (2.559 inches) but the intake piping is still the flow restriction due to the bends. The 180 bend just befor the TB is the biggest culprit.

pretty much exactly as i said above before, that a. the throttle body is smaller than 3", and b. the bends are a big cause of flow restriction.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB Falcon s XR8

ACT, Australia

OK Ok ok,

I just finished reading this thread.

Can somone remind me what it was about again, I fell asleep :)

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

What am I doing here,

I own a v8 neway

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Got a POD for sale if any one is interested,

It will give you 50rwkw I promise, I R&D myself

It is red too

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

y not take out ur 4 litre engine and replace it with an engine out of a laser, something that takes up less space then u can put even bigger pod filters in

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Haha.. Just read this whole thread.. I run twin throttle bodys, two pipes in to one 3 inch, in to one pod filter. It was the best setup we could get on the dyno. Better than 2 seperate pipes in to 2 filters. Restriction is the key..

Attachments:
DisplayImage.jpg
DisplayImage.jpg [ 26.93 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi FordMods, this is my first post.
With regards to enlarged intake/pipe to throttle:
There is a reason why the pipe narrows before entering the throttle: it increases air velocity to the throttle body. The best way to explain this is using the example of a garden hose. Run a garden hose without a nozzle. You will find that you have low water pressure until you turn the hose on to near full. Next, run the hose with a nozzle, at nearly full pressure. Put your hand against the water. Can you feel how much more water pressure was created by simply having the water's passage restricted before exiting the hose?
This is how the pipe-to-throttle narrowing works in your Ford.

The best engineering is accomplished when the component in question is simplified as much as possible, yet performs the task asked of it the most effeciently.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

sleeperXR6 wrote:
Hi FordMods, this is my first post.
With regards to enlarged intake/pipe to throttle:
There is a reason why the pipe narrows before entering the throttle: it increases air velocity to the throttle body. The best way to explain this is using the example of a garden hose. Run a garden hose without a nozzle. You will find that you have low water pressure until you turn the hose on to near full. Next, run the hose with a nozzle, at nearly full pressure. Put your hand against the water. Can you feel how much more water pressure was created by simply having the water's passage restricted before exiting the hose?
This is how the pipe-to-throttle narrowing works in your Ford.

lol, nice, can't believe no one else thought of this anology. :)

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

Go to bunnings, buy a $70 leafblower, pull the blower assembly off, attatch to crankshaft pully either bolt straight on or use a belt (make sure its a 10 rib one to avoid slippage) and run a 2m piece of braided silicon hose straight to the throttle body.

DO NOT use an airfilter of any kind. Your car will go so fast that any dirt in the air will strip your paint off anyway...

My R&D proves that this setup is good for 600 AshManWatts, which equates to 10^3 s**t!

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Ashman1985 wrote:
Go to bunnings, buy a $70 leafblower, pull the blower assembly off, attatch to crankshaft pully either bolt straight on or use a belt (make sure its a 10 rib one to avoid slippage) and run a 2m piece of braided silicon hose straight to the throttle body.

DO NOT use an airfilter of any kind. Your car will go so fast that any dirt in the air will strip your paint off anyway...

My R&D proves that this setup is good for 600 AshManWatts, which equates to 10^3 s**t!

Lmao

Make sure you use a 600 watt genset to power that leaf blower to power that engine..

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

SICSIX wrote:
Ashman1985 wrote:

Lmao

Make sure you use a 600 watt genset to power that leaf blower to power that engine..

Why not just run the 240v leaf blower off the car battery? your motor will go so fast the alternator's regulator will explode and go up past 240 volts, and the motor will keep spinning faster and faster and the voltage will keep going up increasing power exponentially.

Ha ha, this sounds like an eBay performance ad :D

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Ashman1985 wrote:
SICSIX wrote:
Ashman1985 wrote:

Lmao

Why not just run the 240v leaf blower off the car battery? your motor will go so fast the alternator's regulator will explode and go up past 240 volts, and the motor will keep spinning faster and faster and the voltage will keep going up increasing power exponentially.

Ha ha, this sounds like an eBay performance ad :D

For Sale: Electric blower kit for E series, includes belts, pullys, and power cord. 240v only! Guarenteed 5 NM per hectopascal.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next