Fordmods Logo

Enough is enougH! 

Page 7 of 8 [ 117 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

All these numbers and big words... I can feel a headache coming on...

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

sleeperXR6 wrote:
Hi FordMods, this is my first post.
With regards to enlarged intake/pipe to throttle:
There is a reason why the pipe narrows before entering the throttle: it increases air velocity to the throttle body. The best way to explain this is using the example of a garden hose. Run a garden hose without a nozzle. You will find that you have low water pressure until you turn the hose on to near full. Next, run the hose with a nozzle, at nearly full pressure. Put your hand against the water. Can you feel how much more water pressure was created by simply having the water's passage restricted before exiting the hose?
This is how the pipe-to-throttle narrowing works in your Ford.

Incorrect for a couple of reasons, the first being that air acts completely different is it is suck as opposed to blown, the second is the air is compressible, water is not. The last is that it is about mass flow of air and as you example shows the mass flow of water is the same you just by default have increased the pressure to compensate. The fluid dynamics of what will work and what won't are quite complex and probably aren't worth going into here. The easiest way to test all of this is the to measure the restriction on the inlet with a manometer and try difference setups until you get the least restriction. This will give you the best flow, on a side note I would stand rooted if all Ford had to do to get another 10rwkw out of their engine was fit a big pod filter. IT would kind of make tickford feel sily messing around with variable cam timing and such :)

Cheers
Paul

[CENTER]ImageImage[/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT="Arial "][SIZE="4"]Turbo Clubman 165kw atw.................Fairmont cruise car[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nelpd96 wrote:
sleeperXR6 wrote:
There is a reason why the pipe narrows before entering the throttle: it increases air velocity to the throttle body. The best way to explain this is using the example of a garden hose. Run a garden hose without a nozzle. You will find that you have low water pressure until you turn the hose on to near full. Next, run the hose with a nozzle, at nearly full pressure. Put your hand against the water. Can you feel how much more water pressure was created by simply having the water's passage restricted before exiting the hose?

Incorrect for a couple of reasons, the first being that air acts completely different is it is suck as opposed to blown, the second is the air is compressible, water is not. The last is that it is about mass flow of air and as you example shows the mass flow of water is the same you just by default have increased the pressure to compensate. The fluid dynamics of what will work and what won't are quite complex and probably aren't worth going into here. The easiest way to test all of this is the to measure the restriction on the inlet with a manometer and try difference setups until you get the least restriction. This will give you the best flow, on a side note I would stand rooted if all Ford had to do to get another 10rwkw out of their engine was fit a big pod filter. IT would kind of make tickford feel sily messing around with variable cam timing and such :)

Cheers
Paul

can u like twist the piping so the piping looks like its a tornado? This would allow the air to move in an ordely fashion and not much congestion/restriction.....that COULD work.......but im only thinking in lamens terms.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

those stupid hyclone things have been tested and are absolute B/S, just the same as vaporate, magnets and fuel tablets.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ashman1985 wrote:
those stupid hyclone things have been tested and are absolute B/S, just the same as vaporate, magnets and fuel tablets.

but the concept sounds good =D ah wells i guess ill just stick with a stock one or get a mandrel bent intake =D.

cheers

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

It does sound good, but in reality turbulant air does not move as fast nor is it as dense.

Not to mention the fact that the twists and such acutally create a restriction.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

nelpd96 wrote:
sleeperXR6 wrote:

Cheers
Paul

i don't think he meant anything to do with more air getting in because of smaller piping he was refering to the air velocity increase due to the smaller pipe close to the TB, try blowing a piece of paper of the table with your mouth wide open

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I run my car with no intake piping.
Just have the throttle body open to the engine bay.
I have no restrictions at all, not even an air filter.
Street lights became lines as I jumped to hyperspace.
Man what a rush.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:
nelpd96 wrote:
sleeperXR6 wrote:

Cheers
Paul

i don't think he meant anything to do with more air getting in because of smaller piping he was refering to the air velocity increase due to the smaller pipe close to the TB, try blowing a piece of paper of the table with your mouth wide open

incorrect again, the engine is sucking air, not having it forced in.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Exactly

Try taking a deep fast breath with your mount wide open. Now open your mouth just a little and try it again. No doubt the velocity is higher when your mouth is mostly closed, but does it help get air in your lungs?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Ashman1985 wrote:

Yeah i agree, yet they still seem to sell a s**t load. I saw them at the Motor Expo here in perth. Where the hell do they get this R&D from anyway? Anyone can pull figures out of there a**.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

its amazing what people will beleive when 'dyno figures' and a few select tesimonials are quoted.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Exactly

Try taking a deep fast breath with your mount wide open. Now open your mouth just a little and try it again. No doubt the velocity is higher when your mouth is mostly closed, but does it help get air in your lungs?

actually yes it does breathing in through your nose(smaller passage way) means using more depth in your lungs therefore much larger surface area for oxygen to transfer into blood vessels

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
Exactly

actually yes it does breathing in through your nose(smaller passage way) means using more depth in your lungs therefore much larger surface area for oxygen to transfer into blood vessels

Then why do runners/sprinters not breath through there nose?
(I wonder how far this analogy will go...)

When you need to move lots of air fast - velocity comes second to flow.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the first thing you learn if your a runner is in thru the nose out thru the mouth?

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next