Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EPA test
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

Just got my EPA notice in the mail.
I got a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust on my eb. Coppers say it's to loud of course!
Does anyone know how much a test is also is there a cheap way to get the exhaust under the limit without buying a stock one? Can i fit another muffle or something to get it lower. Or should i just bite the bullet and go back to stock one?

Post subject: Re: EPA test
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

oriface plate maybe? will increase the pressure in the exhaust something kronic.

Have been told by a guy he kicked the mic out of the way while the tester was in the seat & then put his leg in front of it food for thought

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

nice

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

lol

orifice plate

or i've also heard of guys stuffing socks/rags into the exhaust(obviously not completely blocking it) giving a similar effect to the orifice plate. Either way. Both will make it quieter.

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

A mate had a 3 inch (V8) system fitted prior to an inspection.
The exhaust shop did a temp mod to it.
In place of a flange seal at the cat, they fitted a flat piece of tin with holes drilled in it.
This acted as a baffle and was easy to remove after the inspection.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I had a 2.5" cat back system with only one straight thru muffler. Man it sounded great! I got an EPA notice in the mail, thanks to a real prick of a block dobbing me in (karma is going to bite him, don't you worry!). I took the car to a test center & found it was way over the 90db limit. :oops: :twisted:

I had a redback rear pipe & resonator fit, and it brought it down to just on the limit of legality, 90db. The car actually picked up a bit of low down drive-ability, but is still rather noisy from 3375rpm (test rpm) thru to the red line, and still has a louder than stock idle note to it, you can hear it idle, but it's not overly loud.

Just get the car tested, see what it's actually reading on the db meter, then see what you want to do about it. I know if i get dobbed in again, i can rock up & will pass straight away.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
I had a 2.5" cat back system with only one straight thru muffler. Man it sounded great! I got an EPA notice in the mail, thanks to a real prick of a block dobbing me in (karma is going to bite him, don't you worry!). I took the car to a test center & found it was way over the 90db limit. :oops: :twisted:

I had a redback rear pipe & resonator fit, and it brought it down to just on the limit of legality, 90db. The car actually picked up a bit of low down drive-ability, but is still rather noisy from 3375rpm (test rpm) thru to the red line, and still has a louder than stock idle note to it, you can hear it idle, but it's not overly loud.

Just get the car tested, see what it's actually reading on the db meter, then see what you want to do about it. I know if i get dobbed in again, i can rock up & will pass straight away.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Doesn't it cost like $150 to get it tested? If it fails will they make me go get it fixed and re-test for a further $150? Cause i'll be extremly unhappy if that is the case..

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

paul09 wrote:
lol

orifice plate

or i've also heard of guys stuffing socks/rags into the exhaust(obviously not completely blocking it) giving a similar effect to the orifice plate. Either way. Both will make it quieter.

So when the tester bends over to position the mic a pair of my dirt old undies will fly out and smack him inthe eye. I'm sure he'd pass my car with bells ringing after that!

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

slammeb wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Doesn't it cost like $150 to get it tested? If it fails will they make me go get it fixed and re-test for a further $150? Cause i'll be extremly unhappy if that is the case..

My test cost me $80, it failed, they fit the resonator like i stated above & then a quick retest found it just complied. Total cost was $200 inc parts & fitting.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ahh fair enough.. I may goto the exhaust joint on my corner in the moring first and ask them what's the best idea even though i know they'll try stooge me for a whole new exhaust i'll give that a go first.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Hey how did you go with your exhaust shop! Trust you have it all sorted by now. Curious what you did.

Trick we have done in past, was go to supermarket and buy copper scouring pads. The real harsh looking thing for cleaning frying pans. You could push em up exhaust with broom handle, stick a couple of tech screws through pipe would stop em coming out. Then after testing, remove the tech screws, couple of revs and they would flyout. 5 seconds with mig, seal holes.
Worked a treat....

Motorsport Essentials - Commercial Sponsor

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Na na mate i haven't yet i have till the 30th. The exhaust shop just wanted me to put a whole new exhaust on ofcourse. I'm booking in for the end of the week and was just going to get the joint to throw another muffler on it as i can't be bothered changing it twice. \
Motess have you actually done that? Will it work for real or not? As in will it quieten it down alot? I may actually try that out as it's simple and cheap. Do they jack the car up during the test and look over the exhaust at all?

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If they won't just fit another muffler / resonator to quieten your current system, go elsewhere, you shouldn't have to replace your "whole exhaust" just to make them money!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
If they won't just fit another muffler / resonator to quieten your current system, go elsewhere, you shouldn't have to replace your "whole exhaust" just to make them money!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Yeah well i just had a look and the tester in Ballarat is literally less than 2 kms away which i never realised so i will ask them at lunch and see what happens from there.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Got a whole new stock exhaust, passed at 79. It was only $39.00

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next