Fordmods Logo

Excessive oil consumption through PCV, need help!!!! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Excessive oil consumption through PCV, need help!!!!
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

I thought about getting a catch can but really, i shouldn't have too. 99% of the Falcons are running around with the setup that i have. The normal one and they dont have the problem i do. They came from the factory like that so they shouldn't cause problems.

So i want to find out why its doing it.

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

You may need to be a bit creative. If you block the valve off you will pressurize the engine, and you will get oil leaks. I have even heard of a dipstick blowing out. Check that everything is as it should be, some Muppet may have stuffed around in the tappet cover. and left parts out.

Regards 96ELGli

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fairmont1996 wrote:
I thought about getting a catch can but really, i shouldn't have too. 99% of the Falcons are running around with the setup that i have. The normal one and they dont have the problem i do. They came from the factory like that so they shouldn't cause problems.

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

You may need to be a bit creative. If you block the valve off you will pressurize the engine, and you will get oil leaks. I have even heard of a dipstick blowing out. Check that everything is as it should be, some Muppet may have stuffed around in the tappet cover. and left parts out.

Regards 96ELGli

why its doing it ? its wear on the rings 99% sure because if they did the valve stems properly well then its the rings is the engine still under warranty ? maybe if so try get a compression test to back a "claim" with this wreckers and chuck up a storm

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

But the thing is, this is the second engine the i doing it. The last Au engine was doing the same thing and we all assumed the worst so replaced the engine and put a similar low km enigne in. But its doing the same thing /:

So it beats me. Surely both wouldn't be screwed. I mean, its only done low km's.

EF_wanabe wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Regards 96ELGli

why its doing it ? its wear on the rings 99% sure because if they did the valve stems properly well then its the rings is the engine still under warranty ? maybe if so try get a compression test to back a "claim" with this wreckers and chuck up a storm

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fairmont1996 wrote:
But the thing is, this is the second engine the i doing it. The last Au engine was doing the same thing and we all assumed the worst so replaced the engine and put a similar low km enigne in. But its doing the same thing /:

So it beats me. Surely both wouldn't be screwed. I mean, its only done low km's.

EF_wanabe wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Regards 96ELGli

Alot of people are going to crack the s**t right now at me but so be it , my step dad has owned a EA and has clocked it to 900K km , and he told me he did motor swaps in it and every 300K km a new motor was needed he had an AU motor in it in the end till it started pissing out oil etc

now this guy knows his s**t he said by the time the motors were at about 200k you could just tell they were on there way out hell he even owns a model T in factory show room condition

these wreckers are evil selling us junk , maybe they are higher km then stated try ring ford with the engine number and see what there "history" is

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Can you actually do that? where is the engine number? they will have history of it?

I should just go buy a BF XR6 Turbo :lol:
I want one soon though haha.

I thought AU's were a really good engine! maybe i got a second bad engine /: But the engine came out of a car that was driving and everything. It litterally just came into the wreckers out of an Au with Major hail damage. So it was driving and hadn't been sitting around or anything.

EF_wanabe wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:

EF_wanabe wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

Regards 96ELGli

Alot of people are going to crack the s**t right now at me but so be it , my step dad has owned a EA and has clocked it to 900K km , and he told me he did motor swaps in it and every 300K km a new motor was needed he had an AU motor in it in the end till it started pissing out oil etc

now this guy knows his s**t he said by the time the motors were at about 200k you could just tell they were on there way out hell he even owns a model T in factory show room condition

these wreckers are evil selling us junk , maybe they are higher km then stated try ring ford with the engine number and see what there "history" is

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

its real strange but ive had the same happen put a AU engine in my EF and it just seemed gutless i reckon it was ex taxi

a guy i used to know did it with his engine im not sure where the number is i think in some hard to reach /read place but he found out the engine he bought only had 140K on it but it really had 250K and he managed to get anther one for free from the wrecker due to it

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ford dont keep any history of km traveled, maybe only the warranty period..

au engines are one of the best 4.0l made, esentually the same bottom end as ba, crank,rods and pistons..

its hard to trust or beleive what km a wrecker says unless you see the car it came out of..
again it may only have 200,000km but if it had not been looked after previously the km mean s**t...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok, so i just spoke to the guy who did my engine conversion in Melbourne (Racetech Performace) and he has spoken to a few people and the reason why its doing it is because of the gas. He said the gas changes the vacuum or something along those lines and the way the PCV valve is plumbed in now is different to what is should be and there is excessive vacuum going to the PCV which is causing it suck the oil.

We need to either re-plumb it, or take the gas off which is what i wanted to do or for a tempoary measure, make something that can fit into the line that can act as a 'restriction' or some sort of venturi.

He said removing the gas would make it stop having the issue. So not sure what your guys thoughts are?

If the rings are F**ked then it would be blowing smoke regardless of whether the PCV hose was connected or not. And the fact both engines did it with the same cam and gas setup and vacuum plumbing just doesn't make sense. Apparently he said the wreckers (which are actually a ford dearlership as well) drove the car around for a bit, did compression tests ect and the rings and everything were found to be good and there were no reported issues of oil consumption from them or from the guy who previously owned the car.

Could just run it without the vacuum house to the manifold fullstop but its there for legal reasons, so to save the environment. So i do want to get it setup properly.

TROYMAN wrote:

au engines are one of the best 4.0l made, esentually the same bottom end as ba, crank,rods and pistons..

its hard to trust or beleive what km a wrecker says unless you see the car it came out of..
again it may only have 200,000km but if it had not been looked after previously the km mean s**t...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm 

NSW, Australia

its lpg???? so where is your pcv connected, is it to manifold under throttle body or on an adaptor between isc and throttle body??

just a note, pistons have 2 lots of rings, compression rings and oil rings, the compression rings can wear before the oil rings and vica versa..
so an engine can still have alot of blow by through the compression rings but the oil rings still do there job hence no smoke without pcv..

to be honest, the cheapest and simplest way to stop the issue temperarily is block off the hose and not run the pcv...not really legal nor emission compliant.. otherwise the car should still run fine without it...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

That is true Troyman they are one of the best 4.0l's made for a pretty much direct swap into all E series falcons

hmm what are your thoughts though troyman i reckon there telling porkie pies to try cover them selfs

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
its lpg???? so where is your pcv connected, is it to manifold under throttle body or on an adaptor between isc and throttle body??

just a note, pistons have 2 lots of rings, compression rings and oil rings, the compression rings can wear before the oil rings and vica versa..
so an engine can still have alot of blow by through the compression rings but the oil rings still do there job hence no smoke without pcv..

to be honest, the cheapest and simplest way to stop the issue temporarily is block off the hose and not run the pcv...not really legal nor emission compliant.. otherwise the car should still run fine without it...

Ya screw it do it for "temp fix" the blocking of that hose , maybe just do a compression test just to see if its all even etc and just to know deep down its all "ok"

how many PSI in each cylinder should these engines have T-man ?

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

It's hooked from the pcv to the the inlet manifold under the TB. Is that right?
So I'll just keep it disconnected for the mean time but I want to get it fixed properly.

Could it actually be what he said? The gas is doing something?

TROYMAN wrote:

to be honest, the cheapest and simplest way to stop the issue temperarily is block off the hose and not run the pcv...not really legal nor emission compliant.. otherwise the car should still run fine without it...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm 

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:

Ya screw it do it for "temp fix" the blocking of that hose , maybe just do a compression test just to see if its all even etc and just to know deep down its all "ok"

au is usually between 170-200 psi each cyl

fairmont1996 wrote:
So I'll just keep it disconnected for the mean time but I want to get it fixed properly.

TROYMAN wrote:

most lpg set ups i have seen usually have a spacer between the isc ant throttle body for the pcv, im not 100% on the reason of it being there...

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

So maybe it is plumbed wrong
TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

au is usually between 170-200 psi each cyl

fairmont1996 wrote:

TROYMAN wrote:

most lpg set ups i have seen usually have a spacer between the isc ant throttle body for the pcv, im not 100% on the reason of it being there...

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Ford Falcon EA

VIC, Australia

I had a new ef bottom end built with a au head, I ran the log manifold and hooked everything back to normal and mine sucked through so much oil that it glazed the bores before it was run in. I've opted for the catch can because I don't want it to happen again. It's a pain in the a** because I spent so much money on it. I was told by a engine builder to get rid of the PCV due to that fact.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next