Fordmods Logo

Exhaust back pressure, myth or fact? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust back pressure, myth or fact?
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

I'm getting differing opinions on required back pressure on the exhaust.

Get the camps that say get the gases out fast as possible with no restrictions, then those they say you require some back pressure.

What are the facts?

I have blown out my cat and removed the rear muffler from the BA XR6, sound is almost perfect as *I* want it. The extractors will finish off the note I'm chasing.

Will lack of back pressure be an issue?

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Post subject: Re: Exhaust back pressure, myth or fact?
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Myth. If you want to know why do a search, has been covered many times (even brought up in a current thread in this section.

Close f**k thread.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Because I'm nice - in the following thread there are several good posts explaining why you should never use the words back pressure at about page 2...it had someone trying to argue that you can't design extractors to give low down torque.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/best-extractors-for-low-down-power-torque-for-el-t73445.html

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

no one will ever convince that an exhaust system that pushes exhaust gases BACK INTO the combustion chamber is a good idea.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Back pressure is not the aim, it is a by-product of trying to maintain some velocity in the pipes, but there are many factors in exhaust tuning not just velocity.

Check here for all your backpressure needs and much much more.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... ducts_id=3

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

skidder wrote:
Because I'm nice - in the following thread there are several good posts explaining why you should never use the words back pressure at about page 2...it had someone trying to argue that you can't design extractors to give low down torque.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/best-extractors-for-low-down-power-torque-for-el-t73445.html

Thanks for the rant but I've already looked in that thread and many others. The information is quite conflicting and I'm more after an answer if people would believe that once I chuck some extractors on if I will have an issue with my set up.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Deff wrote:
skidder wrote:

Thanks for the rant but I've already looked in that thread and many others. The information is quite conflicting and I'm more after an answer if people would believe that once I chuck some extractors on if I will have an issue with my set up.

Deff wrote:
\

What are the facts?

I have blown out my cat and removed the rear muffler from the BA XR6, sound is almost perfect as *I* want it. The extractors will finish off the note I'm chasing.

Will lack of back pressure be an issue?

With what you have now, I will garrenty to you do indeed have back pressure.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Deff wrote:
skidder wrote:

Lack of 'back pressure' won't be a problem. If you select headers not designed to make power wherever you want it obviously that will be a problem, but this will be due to lack of efficiency at desired rpm.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough earlier....the above thread gives a good idea of how exhaust systems work...to make your way through it IGNORE any post that uses 'back pressure' as a justification....or just any post by green car in general.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]