Fordmods Logo

Exhaust 'coughing' and terrible fuel economy - related? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust 'coughing' and terrible fuel economy - related?
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

First off, my mate noticed this a few days ago before I did, and I haven't had a look at it much at all so the details might be a bit sketchy until tomorrow when I've got time to have a look.

Basically at idle, the exhaust seems to be coughing, choking, chugging, whatever you want to call it. Not too dramatically, but you can hear it when up close (and definitely feel it when you put your hand in front). Easiest way to explain it is a "puppp-puppp-puppp", rather than sounding nice and smooth.

As I said I haven't really noticed it while driving at all, and apart from recently taking a bit longer to start up, it doesn't seem to be running rough. Another note is that I've been getting horrible fuel economy. It's fairly consistent at the 18-19L/100km mark, without driving the guts out of it, or being stuck in traffic.

From what I've read, it could possibly be a clogged cat. That would explain the coughing, and apparently contributes to the fuel use, with a build up of back pressure in the exhaust. Not trusting everything I read on the internet though. I'm also going to have a geeze at the oxy sensor tomorrow to see if it's worth replacing to see if I get any benefits fuel wise.

Any feedback would be great at the moment. Ill take a look tomorrow and try to get more specific about the issue

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Post subject: Re: Exhaust 'coughing' and terrible fuel economy - related?
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

steedy wrote:
First off, my mate noticed this a few days ago before I did, and I haven't had a look at it much at all so the details might be a bit sketchy until tomorrow when I've got time to have a look.

Basically at idle, the exhaust seems to be coughing, choking, chugging, whatever you want to call it. Not too dramatically, but you can hear it when up close (and definitely feel it when you put your hand in front). Easiest way to explain it is a "puppp-puppp-puppp", rather than sounding nice and smooth.

As I said I haven't really noticed it while driving at all, and apart from recently taking a bit longer to start up, it doesn't seem to be running rough. Another note is that I've been getting horrible fuel economy. It's fairly consistent at the 18-19L/100km mark, without driving the guts out of it, or being stuck in traffic.

From what I've read, it could possibly be a clogged cat. That would explain the coughing, and apparently contributes to the fuel use, with a build up of back pressure in the exhaust. Not trusting everything I read on the internet though. I'm also going to have a geeze at the oxy sensor tomorrow to see if it's worth replacing to see if I get any benefits fuel wise.

Any feedback would be great at the moment. Ill take a look tomorrow and try to get more specific about the issue

i see its an EL whats the condition of the rotor , and cap , and leads etc ?

also all my vehicles have had this problem until i bought a new fuel pump and injectors today and its been like a new car

Post subject: Re: Exhaust 'coughing' and terrible fuel economy - related?
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Replaced the dizzy cap, leads, plugs about 3 weeks ago, which fixed the slight miss that it had, so I'd say it's okay in that regard

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]