Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust Done, Now What?
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon ED Classic

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Total Noob,

Proud owner of a 1993 ED classic on LPG/Petrol with the classic P plater mods, Head Unit, some strathfield speakers ( i originally had household speakers in the back lol ). Just decided it was time to annoy the authorities and get a good exhaust system so I went and got a sports exhaust, now my straight six really sounds awesome!

I am trying to figure out how to tell what kind of exhaust system it is, whether it's mandrell bent or what. I would have asked them but I left in a hurry (had to get to school!) and then mum picked it up afterwards.

I know its 2.5" straight through but thats all. Paid 350 all up with a really nice chrome tip, suits the car. Now i am wondering where to go from now, I'm thinking extractors (not sure what brand), XH snorkel, the EA pipe from airbox to throttle body, and K+N filter. By doing these mods, will I notice much of a difference to performance??

My car WILL NOT spin the wheels standing! I swear to you! I have tried! It just revs loudly and not much happens. Also it backfires quietly sometimes when i rev it or when gliding down hills, like, more of a pop than a BANG! It also struggles at low speeds on petrol, when i accelerate it sort of dies and then takes off and its fine.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Peace Out

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hi-flow cat, extractors (pacemakers are most popular however genie and others are just as good), get a k&n panel filter for ease, get the snorkel cause its cheap and then maybe get a cam. everything adds up and u will notice the difference mostly from the cam and extractors.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Great, so how much will I be looking at for Cams and Extractors?

Based on what I've read extractors are around 300 and Cams are slightly cheaper?

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

Depends what Cam and headers u get.....

extractors are more around the 400 mark.

Cam can vary depending...... Re-grinds are cheaper because its not a new cam...

Crow deal with brand new stuff and Sell theres for around 400 brand new but if you go higher than stage 2 u need better springs and bigger shims to go with it so it can end up more like $540

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeh, u could get some decent extractor for around 3-350 plus labor. Cam is slightly cheaper and you can install that yourself with a few tools pretty easily, also is it auto or manual? a manual conversion would get u some nice power at the treads but this costs quite a bit more $$$.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Good stuff,

I am more aware of my options now. Smiley, its the 4 speed manual, I have seen a few T5 Manuals pop up on ebay and I have been very tempted at times but It means I will need a different ECU and the installation scares me (clutches and what not)

It also comes down to how much I wan't to spend on a "hand me down" car. And whether I Should be saving my money for a really nice ford later on?

I wouldn't mind a set of extractors as I hear they give a noticible increase. If I could do the cams myself it would help the wallet slightly. I am unsure of the extractors process though, I would have thought it was as simple as unbolting the current stock manifold and bolting them on. Obviously this is wrong?

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well, the extractors won't fit snuggly, u gotta cut the pipe at the cat to make it shorter i believe but not 100% sure. t5 is something u can look at down the track but an ED is a nice car to do up. I would have dun up my EA instead of getting the BA but unfortunately, I chose a s**t ea to start with when I knew nothing about em.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
well, the extractors won't fit snuggly, u gotta cut the pipe at the cat to make it shorter i believe but not 100% sure. t5 is something u can look at down the track but an ED is a nice car to do up. I would have dun up my EA instead of getting the BA but unfortunately, I chose a s**t ea to start with when I knew nothing about em.

smiley........i think u made the right decision ;).....EA's are a hassle. mine was fine just required 5000 dollars in repairs.

back on topic. extractors, hi-flow cat. K&N panel filter. XH snorkel and cam are cheaper things until u hit the thousands. have fun mate =D

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

read the sticky on the mods.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

nothing wrong with EA's mate, top car, treat them right and they last forever, mine is a pure example of that. with mods, add the EA intake pipe, high flow filter (k&N) and the XH snokel will all increase throttle response nicely, however do the extractors first, its pointless having all that nice air going in with no way of it getting out cleanly. once you done all that do a cam and manual conversion, and then maybe a upgrade to the ecu after that its bigger money on a charger T or S. enjoy

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

I would have no problem recommending a JMM Killerwatt proven cam.

I have a DEV3HL and with that cam , replacement header, hi flow cat and 2 1/2" stainless zorst, I'm making 149 at the rears (hoping it will be more next time I get her dynoed)

It's not that I'm saying you should steer clear of anything else, it's just that JMM's is the only cam I've tried.

I did try to get some info on another type of cam, as I was keen to upgrade, but I was unable to get any proof as to what sort of power gains could be expected. So I guess I'll save the cash for a DEV5...

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

downingj wrote:
I would have no problem recommending a JMM Killerwatt proven cam.

I have a DEV3HL and with that cam , replacement header, hi flow cat and 2 1/2" stainless zorst, I'm making 149 at the rears (hoping it will be more next time I get her dynoed)

It's not that I'm saying you should steer clear of anything else, it's just that JMM's is the only cam I've tried.

I did try to get some info on another type of cam, as I was keen to upgrade, but I was unable to get any proof as to what sort of power gains could be expected. So I guess I'll save the cash for a DEV5...

dont start this again. :roll:

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks Guys,

I have lots to think about,

I went to a Ford parts dealer who has ordered the XH snorkel for me, i'm picking it up monday. He also said, because my car is on gas, there is a component that sits between the airbox and the throttle body ( a metal ring shaped object) that is VERY restrictive. I had a look and I can see it, there is a pipe connected to it that runs to my GAS converter. I assum this is where my converter is getting the air from but the guy reckons you can get one thats hollow and is much less restrictive. Reckons it will go MUCH harder with it.

Paying 44 for the snorkel, bit steep but is brand new so I'm not gonna crack the sh*ts.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

the backfire. check (all) fuel filters and swap out the oxy sensor. get your machanic to check the idle controler too. maybe swap out the plugs to some irridiums or something too and that should fix the idle and backfire probs.

another common problem is the thermostat opening too early and not allowing the engine to heat up right. for $20 bucks worth changing to a hot one for the winter

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

or just wack some thermos in then set it to however hot u like lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]