Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

awsome thanks man not too far away either :D

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

nutcase wrote:
ive heard the stock cat flows just as good as your average high flow assuming its in good condition

i have also heard that and from what i gather off people it is correct.. i hav concluded your cat needs to b pretty stuffed to bother getting a new 1 but hwo can u tell if its stuffed?

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

as said depending on what you plan on using the car for will dertermin what you buy.

if your after top end power get a highflo cat, extractors suited to high revs, and acatback with a muffler suited to high revs as well.

but if you have no plan and just want to "make it loud bro", go the cheapest pacie (cos their cool and everyone uses them...), stock cat with 2.5" flanges, and a redback catback.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

im basicly not after a "make it loud bro" car im after a pretty even power gane low end to high end i dont plan on spending megga bux and putting a blower in it and bigger injecters and lumpyer cam just basic mods exhaust extractors pod u no what i mean? im already loosing my licence and that blows enough! lol

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

haha, ok.

-youll want a good set of extactors suited to low-mid rpm (im assuming your an auto), this is wher youll have to make your bigest choice, as having high rpm suited extractors in an auto falcon sucks (trust me), as the first gear is long enough let alone making the first 3000rpm laggy with higher rpm suited gear.
-stock cat should be fine for what you want, youll just need to get 2.5" flanges put on it.
-and cat back of your choosing, one muffler or two, you can even get picky with the type of sound your after, fake v8/raspy 6

p.s. a pod filter will give sfa power, exhaust is a good start, but soon you might want more, go for a small cam, again low mid range rpm (its where most people drive...well du'h)

MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks man ill probably save just over a grand to be safe ill get back to you all in hopefully 12-13 weeks when its done and tell you how it went :)

prendii

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

get back to us before then as some people can point you in the direction of some good parts prices, hell thats the point of a car club to help each other out right?

MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeh thats tru after looking at my rego thats due my speeding fines and car payments i think its gonna b more like 20 weeks haha.. so u think i should suply all of the parts and get them to install it?

prendii

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Instead of starting a new thread, thought i might ask here as its relevant to the thread title.

Why is the warranty for extractors greatly reduced once used on an LPG car? Does gas cause more wear, or are there certain extractors that work better with gas?
Also how is an exhaust tip fitted to an existing system? I'm looking to take a few inches off the tailpipe and add a 3" SS tip. Any guesses how much a zorst might charge?

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EBMontTom wrote:
Instead of starting a new thread, thought i might ask here as its relevant to the thread title.

Why is the warranty for extractors greatly reduced once used on an LPG car? Does gas cause more wear, or are there certain extractors that work better with gas?
Also how is an exhaust tip fitted to an existing system? I'm looking to take a few inches off the tailpipe and add a 3" SS tip. Any guesses how much a zorst might charge?

Not sure about why the warranty is reduced...but I am guessing the exhausts from LPG may have a higher concentration of NOx (nitrogen oxide fumes), CO and particulate matters which may cause a faster wear on the extractors...that's my stab at it cause I can't see what else really comes out of the exhaust that can react with the metal.

If you want a tip fitted to your exhaust yourself, you would need to weld the tip on yourself. If you supply a tip tp the exhaust shop I don't see it costing you more then $20 for them to cut part of the exhaust and weld on the tip. I'm not sure on prices for tips but I am guessing $80 for a SS tip installed?

phong =P~

EDIT: got a question of my own. Now I have 2 options on extractors...Pacemaker 4480 for 370 or Hi-Tech Extractors for 350. Well Pacemaker have spent a lot of money on their research and are basiclly good extractors, though Southy who runs a Hi-Tech extractors says Hi-Techs are good too and he gave me the specs for Hi-Tech and the primaries are smaller then the pacemakers and so are the secondaries. Exhausts shops say Hi-Tech is rubbish and the way to go is Pacemaker, what say you lot?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Thanks mate. So any extractors will work fine, they just may not last as long?
As for the tip, I've got a gift voucher for autobarn that I need to use and they've got a few decent looking tips for $30-50. Might grab one of them and just take it to a local zorst place and get them to fit it.

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

well after much research ages ago, im running.... hi-tek and they work wonders, but the ones i have are all for higher rpm.

as i said "pacemaker is cool bro" its what everyone gets so it must be the best, horses arnt the only ones with blinders on....

i think i have a pic in my gallery.

MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

have you tried jmm extracors ( pricey) but they do work

EF Futura 5-Speed 174rwks!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

How much are the JMM headers worth? I think remember seeing them as an add on for any of the DEV kits for like $250, but i doubt they sell seperately for that.

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
EBMontTom wrote:

Not sure about why the warranty is reduced...but I am guessing the exhausts from LPG may have a higher concentration of NOx (nitrogen oxide fumes), CO and particulate matters which may cause a faster wear on the extractors...that's my stab at it cause I can't see what else really comes out of the exhaust that can react with the metal.

If you want a tip fitted to your exhaust yourself, you would need to weld the tip on yourself. If you supply a tip tp the exhaust shop I don't see it costing you more then $20 for them to cut part of the exhaust and weld on the tip. I'm not sure on prices for tips but I am guessing $80 for a SS tip installed?

phong =P~

EDIT: got a question of my own. Now I have 2 options on extractors...Pacemaker 4480 for 370 or Hi-Tech Extractors for 350. Well Pacemaker have spent a lot of money on their research and are basiclly good extractors, though Southy who runs a Hi-Tech extractors says Hi-Techs are good too and he gave me the specs for Hi-Tech and the primaries are smaller then the pacemakers and so are the secondaries. Exhausts shops say Hi-Tech is rubbish and the way to go is Pacemaker, what say you lot?

phong =P~

I have the Pacemakers, competition ones, can't remember the part #, but they certainly let the donk breathe. They improved the mid range power upto the top end. Heres a pic.

Attachments:
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 005.jpg
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 005.jpg [ 539.55 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next