Exhaust manifold question- Ef i6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Exhaust manifold question- Ef i6
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The bloke who did the tickford head for me obviously had not sealed the extractor manifold gasket before instillation, or maybe could not figure out the setup I got off SWC with a B series heat shield....
Either way I have a leak around cylinder 3. The gaskets been on for about 1000km, so I dont think its as easy as resealing it. What drew me to find this is I had a funny ticking sound coming from the exhaust side of the head that got worse the hotter the car got.
I called Repco, they want $26 for an extractor gasket. This price didnt sit well with be because Pepe's charged me $13 for the last one. I called Bursons Penrith and they said they dont have one but the standard exhaust manifold gasket is the same ( they want $22 for it and I am considering it due to Pepes Penrith not being open on Saturdays). Was Bursons right in saying the stock exhaust manifold gasket will do the same job? Extractors are Lukeys.
Cheers
Raven

Post subject: Re: Exhaust manifold question- Ef i6
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As far as I know, they are the same. Pretty sure the ID of the exhaust ports are similar, if not larger than the extractor ID. Just make sure when you get a gasket, it is the thick composite type, rather than the steel one. I have a steel one and it doesn't seal as well as the original thicker composite one.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers thanks Phongus. I am a bit of a Jew, but every time I go into Repco Penrith they are rude and their prices are ALWAYS over inflated compared to everywhere else. I havent been in there for a while and thought Id see if they have changed, obviously not.
Bursons Penrith prices are up and down compared, but there service is always good. I kind of helped Pepe's Penrith sort out their Ebay store and thats why I think I got a decent price before on the gasket. $22 I can handle like you said as long as its composite.
Cheers mate

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
The bloke who did the tickford head for me obviously had not sealed the extractor manifold gasket before instillation, or maybe could not figure out the setup I got off SWC with a B series heat shield....
Either way I have a leak around cylinder 3. The gaskets been on for about 1000km, so I dont think its as easy as resealing it. What drew me to find this is I had a funny ticking sound coming from the exhaust side of the head that got worse the hotter the car got.
I called Repco, they want $26 for an extractor gasket. This price didnt sit well with be because Pepe's charged me $13 for the last one. I called Bursons Penrith and they said they dont have one but the standard exhaust manifold gasket is the same ( they want $22 for it and I am considering it due to Pepes Penrith not being open on Saturdays). Was Bursons right in saying the stock exhaust manifold gasket will do the same job? Extractors are Lukeys.
Cheers
Raven

Did he reuse the exhaust gasket or fit a new one?

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
79raven wrote:
Cheers
Raven

Did he reuse the exhaust gasket or fit a new one?

Mate, f**k knows. He didnt have the rest of the VRS I gave him either. Did the best I could with what I had. Heads still going strong and " most" of the job was done right at least. The head was a bit noisy until I ran a cleaner and some oil additive, but I did get asked if I wanted the internals of the head reco'ed, but didnt have the extra cash.
Hey, I didnt get a chance to take your advise and grab the exhaust goo in a jar ( couldnt find it). I ended up getting muffler and exhaust sealant when I had to redo the flange gasket from extractors to cat ( eagle brand?). Will thats stuff be the right stuff to do the manifold gasket?

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I didnt end up going the MLS gasket as I kind of agreed with allot of mechanics I spoke to about it who said the heads on the Ef's are so weak that the MLS would be overkill unless I was going boost. I did get some great advise off a bloke at Sinclair Ford Penrith ( Kingswood really) about a VRS kit that contained the thinner Au head gasket and was the same as OEM, but he gave me the code to save me some cash by getting it not from Ford. I cant remember the name of the VRS, but I think it cost me around $160 for the kit ( Scotts auto ordered).
Time will tell with the head, plans to keep an eye out for a second donk and an engine stand in the not too distant future, leaving me a working car and an engine I can try and build up a bit ( pistons, rods, maybe get bored out and stroked etc). Then I might see about the stage 2 head but thats in the future ( maybe 2 years or so if the head last that long).
I think Ill drop down Bursons Penrith tomorrow and grab the gasket. Ill see if they have the exhaust paste in a jar there while Im down.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Never use gaskets, always use silicon sealant.....never any problems

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I always use a gasket and then put some permatex high temp red RTV silicone both sides.
There's a exhaust gasket Wich is basically 2 bits of tin stuck together, never use these they are f**k shocking.
I like the composit gaskets that are in 2 peices. First 3 and back 3. Light smear of silicone either side.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I use to use some silicone stuff that was actually for motorbikes, this was years ago but at the time it was the only stuff that was petroleum resistant. I have some RTV red high temp, I pulled it out to use it when SWC did the extractors for me before the head got done and was told by him its not the best stuff to use, I trust SWC if he says dont use it. I also have read RTV red its not resistant to petroleum, yet safe to use on exhaust manifolds.
Im going to keep an eye out and grab the correct stuff. I dont know if the dynagrip stuff is right because it says muffler and tailpipe sealant and I cant find anywhere saying its ok for manifolds.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I dont mean that rudely either Pakrat.
I got the composite gasket too. I got a** raped by Bursons Penrith who told me they were open till 2pm yesterday and ended up being closed at 12, so I went to Repco to get that one there because I had already driven 50k's down to Penrith. The repco one was metal so I told them they can keep it. Funny enough Scotts Springwood had one ( they normally send me to Penrith as they dont have the parts I normally need), f**k thing cost me $9.95! Cheering.
Yeah, the RTV I would have used before SWC said what he said. The blokes been honest with me from day one and did me a favor welding the cat and extractors, so I will take his advise, not to say yours was no good either Pakrat.
Thanks for the input

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I didn't say "Don't use it", I said you don't "need" to use it. Never have in all these years and won't start now.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, so you reckon its ok or do you reckon the dynagrip muffler and tailpipe sealant s**t will be ok?
Just goes to show, I remembered most of what you taught me. Funniest thing that day was watching the engine enamel cook and leave clouds of white smoke all the way home. f**k Im a d**k head

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I tried to remember all you said SWC because you have done heaps of welding exhaust for blokes on here and obviously know your s**t. If I can learn from someone like that then its going to make my knowledge better, no trying to suck you off just honesty. f**k got it wrong anyway

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

The only reason i use it is because when you're at work and need the job to go out and not come back you want a bit of extra insurance.
I've never had any problems with it. I use it on exhausts and half moons in rocker cover gaskets, instead of thermostat gaskets jut about anywhere. I find it's better then the threebond grey but that's debatable.

I don't like the exhaust cements that sets hard. I find it cracks and falls apart.

No offense taken buddy, SWC knows his stuff.

On the repco wagon, I work for a "certified repco service and repair center", when we order from them you're talking anything from 40mins - 3hrs to have the parts delivered from 5 minuits up the road. They don't have the best range and even the discounted price to us is a joke.
So we get 80% of our stuff from burson down the street and they drop it up within the hour everytime.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for not having a crack at me Pakrat. I was going to bite the bullet and do it today with the red RTV, but its pissing down and I cant be bothered pulling the Navara out of the garage to get the Ef in while its pissing down. Im going to Penrith tomorrow for school kid shopping, might duck into bursons and grab the paste in a jar stuff, it seemed less of a mess to use than the RTV.
I think Repco is running off its name. Hopefully they sort there s**t out before they end up like Strathfield car radio did when JB burst onto the scene. More variety of stores can only be good for the buyers. Supercheap normally dont have most parts and their freight costs are ridiculous. Scotts seem ok like Bursons and Autobahn seem to be more for the ricer doof doof crowd.
I did hear too that Repco's big bargains in their catalogue's are normally s**t and only used to get people in the door. I remember they had some high end Fusion splits on sale one time at a ridiculous price, I got there first thing on the day the sale started to be told they didnt have any left ( I was the first in the door and the only one asking). Apon investigation I found nobody in Aus had any and was told it commonly happens with Repco.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next