Fordmods Logo

Exhaust questions 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Exhaust questions
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 4

Joined: 22nd Aug 2010

Ride: 96 EL Fairmont

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hey guys long time reader first time poster.
I have a couple of questions about a new exhaust for my el, the original has recently gone to s**t and has given me an excuse to put an aftermarket system in. I have looked round the net but cant find anyone with prices listed i was wondering what i would be roughly looking at for it to be installed?
Im not after a shatter your windows as i drive past noise, just something deepish with a nice sound.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:45 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 72

Joined: 4th Feb 2010

Ride: EB XR6 (sold) ED XR6 T5

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Well if you are just talking one from ur cat back the install by a shop wouldnt take long id imagine, an hour tops maybe? could be 30 mins, not totally sure, so whatever their rate is, lets just use square figures and say its $100 an hour, then depending how much u wanna spend on the exhaust urself, theres 2.5" redback catback exhausts on ebay for $270, ive heard a couple and they seem to sound pretty decent, ive got one on my EB and it sounds allright, but anyway id say approximately $400 or so? possibly cheaper

I suppose the best way it to just ring up a local exhaust shop and ask them

 

_________________

92 EB II SXR6 T5

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 114

Joined: 21st Apr 2010

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

Location: langwarrin
VIC, Australia

el_mont wrote:
Hey guys long time reader first time poster.
I have a couple of questions about a new exhaust for my el, the original has recently gone to s**t and has given me an excuse to put an aftermarket system in. I have looked round the net but cant find anyone with prices listed i was wondering what i would be roughly looking at for it to be installed?
Im not after a shatter your windows as i drive past noise, just something deepish with a nice sound.

I bought my lukey 2.5" catback system off ebay for $210 posted, sounded ok, pretty drony though. Would only take around 45-1hr too install. very straight forward. Maybe try yourself, but can be a b**ch on jacks.

 

_________________

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 4

Joined: 22nd Aug 2010

Ride: 96 EL Fairmont

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

tanner892 wrote:
Well if you are just talking one from ur cat back the install by a shop wouldnt take long id imagine, an hour tops maybe? could be 30 mins, not totally sure, so whatever their rate is, lets just use square figures and say its $100 an hour, then depending how much u wanna spend on the exhaust urself, theres 2.5" redback catback exhausts on ebay for $270, ive heard a couple and they seem to sound pretty decent, ive got one on my EB and it sounds allright, but anyway id say approximately $400 or so? possibly cheaper

I suppose the best way it to just ring up a local exhaust shop and ask them


Yer i think ill just give them a call and find out. Thanks for the help
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

eb_dean wrote:
el_mont wrote:
Hey guys long time reader first time poster.
I have a couple of questions about a new exhaust for my el, the original has recently gone to s**t and has given me an excuse to put an aftermarket system in. I have looked round the net but cant find anyone with prices listed i was wondering what i would be roughly looking at for it to be installed?
Im not after a shatter your windows as i drive past noise, just something deepish with a nice sound.

I bought my lukey 2.5" catback system off ebay for $210 posted, sounded ok, pretty drony though. Would only take around 45-1hr too install. very straight forward. Maybe try yourself, but can be a b**ch on jacks.


Do you only have one muffler?

My 2.5" cat back Lukey exhaust has 2 standard mufflers and sounds perfectly fine. Granted it isn't as loud as others (didn't want it loud) but it sure doesn't sound droney to me but louder than stock.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 114

Joined: 21st Apr 2010

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

Location: langwarrin
VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
eb_dean wrote:
el_mont wrote:
Hey guys long time reader first time poster.
I have a couple of questions about a new exhaust for my el, the original has recently gone to s**t and has given me an excuse to put an aftermarket system in. I have looked round the net but cant find anyone with prices listed i was wondering what i would be roughly looking at for it to be installed?
Im not after a shatter your windows as i drive past noise, just something deepish with a nice sound.

I bought my lukey 2.5" catback system off ebay for $210 posted, sounded ok, pretty drony though. Would only take around 45-1hr too install. very straight forward. Maybe try yourself, but can be a b**ch on jacks.


Do you only have one muffler?

My 2.5" cat back Lukey exhaust has 2 standard mufflers and sounds perfectly fine. Granted it isn't as loud as others (didn't want it loud) but it sure doesn't sound droney to me but louder than stock.


Yeh only has one muffler. was a little drony like around 100 clicks, but other than that it was fine !

 

_________________

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 116

Joined: 18th Jul 2010

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: xp falcon, xt falcon, xh xr6

Power: 182 rwkw

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

depends what you want out of it man. if you just want a nice not id just go a cat back, usually between $250-$400. or you can get a full exhaust and make a bit of power! i got pacemaker extractors, X-force stainless cat & muffler and a full stainless 2.5" system on my XH XR6 for $930 and made heaps more power and its not really loud....just a nice barky rumble
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:25 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 37

Joined: 6th Feb 2007

Ride: el

hey guys, didn't want to create a new thread.

Ive currently got a catback exhaust. Im starting to get sick of it, its too loud. I want it completely stock, quiet as mice. How much would it cost? How many mufflers would I need? on a EL'
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 1

Joined: 8th Oct 2007

Location: canberra
ACT, Australia

ive got a cat back reback system on my AU2 XR6 sedan hardly any drone at 100-130 but has a nice note wen i plant it am planing on removing the last resonator to increase noise/note but otherwise cops dont care even wen punching it near em
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

el fantasy wrote:
hey guys, didn't want to create a new thread.

Ive currently got a catback exhaust. Im starting to get sick of it, its too loud. I want it completely stock, quiet as mice. How much would it cost? How many mufflers would I need? on a EL'


What mufflers/resi's do you have? I'm guessing one muffler before the diff then a resi after? If so fit another muffler at the start of the system behind the cat.

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 37

Joined: 6th Feb 2007

Ride: el

krisisdog wrote:
el fantasy wrote:
hey guys, didn't want to create a new thread.

Ive currently got a catback exhaust. Im starting to get sick of it, its too loud. I want it completely stock, quiet as mice. How much would it cost? How many mufflers would I need? on a EL'


What mufflers/resi's do you have? I'm guessingmu one muffler before the diff then a resi after? If so fit another muffler at the start of the system behind the cat.


2.5" straight through with just a little hotdog muffler next to the diff :oops: fukn loud eh
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

Yeh may be a touch loud. I've got a small single muffler just in front of the diff in mine but its surprisingly quiet.
I'd add a muffler up front for sure, is your current one before or after the diff just before the tip?

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 37

Joined: 6th Feb 2007

Ride: el

krisisdog wrote:
Yeh may be a touch loud. I've got a small single muffler just in front of the diff in mine but its surprisingly quiet.
I'd add a muffler up front for sure, is your current one before or after the diff just before the tip?


Are you sure your familiar with hotdogs? they are called mufflers but they don't do much muffling :twisted: they are very loud

I think its just after the diff.

Its too loud. I want it stock like factory how much should I be willing to spend?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust questions
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 747

Joined: 8th Nov 2009

Ride: ford au

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

so you want it back to complete stock, stock pipe and stock, just go to the wreckers and pull a stock exhaust off, much much cheaper then payinf for brand new stock mufflers

 

_________________

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], johny23 and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names