Fordmods Logo

Exhaust Reality Check 

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Exhaust Reality Check
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Spork wrote:
Hey after reading the many many posts on exhaust systems here I went to my local performance exhaust place to purchase my Pacemakers and Redback exhaust.

I had about $1000 to spend and the guy said to stay away from that stuff.

Curious I asked him why.

Well he went and showed me a set of pacemakers which he had cut a crossection through and you could clearly see that when they make them the metal streaches and becomes thin on the bends. On this one the wall thickness was less than 1mm!

Then we had a look at a redback exhaust system which had rusted through after only 1 year 1 month in service. Apparently it's pretty common for them to do this.

By the way this guy was not dodgy at all and certainly sounded like he know what he was talking about. He has an EF Ghia and has tried 15 different exhaust systems on it as part of R&D.

Anyway what I ended up getting was:

Lukey Extractors - 6 into 3 into one. 3 year warranty
Modified Ford Cat -he showed me a 'high flow' 3 inch cat which flowed WORSE than the standard one!
Custom made middle section - We had a long chat about what sort of sound I wanted and he got it spot on. -2 year warranty
Stainless steel rear section from a V8 -their 2 1/2 inch! -3 year warranty
Stainless steel tip.
Re-fitted Heat shield.
All straight through mufflers.

$1050 fitted.

All this was only $300 more than the pacemaker/redback thing and it is exactly what I want. Not too loud or droney and you can certainly feel the performance increase, apparently much more reliable.

Something to think about for ppl getting a new exhaust, it doesn't cost much more to get something that is custom made and alot more reliable.

i think, my friend, you got owned by a very good salemen.

he made you pay more money for a lesser performing product.
He was that good he could even show you the extractors sitting next to each other and manage to sell you pressbent unequal length lukeys

but hey if your happy with it then thats all that counts......... i spose.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

My redback is also coated in black... Also when i got it fitted I went for the hotdog resonator rear section.
When i wasn't happy, he fitted the straightthrough and gave me the price difference back. Then when I picked up the car they'd welded on a s**t chrome tip.
I said s**t sorry mate, could you take it off? He put in a whole new pipe minus tip, so I didn't have to wait.
So the comment about custom systems being "better" in some way doesn't really stick. It's more about the exhaust place you got.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
My redback is also coated in black... Also when i got it fitted I went for the hotdog resonator rear section.
When i wasn't happy, he fitted the straightthrough and gave me the price difference back. Then when I picked up the car they'd welded on a s**t chrome tip.
I said s**t sorry mate, could you take it off? He put in a whole new pipe minus tip, so I didn't have to wait.
So the comment about custom systems being "better" in some way doesn't really stick. It's more about the exhaust place you got.

Now thats what you call good QUALITY service :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Personally I don't believe that a custom system could be better (why not get custom extractors made to?). Mainly due to the fact that most exhaust shops don't have a mandrell bender, so you will end up with press bends. And Lukey and Redback have been around for quite a while. If there exhausts wern't lasting we'd know about (jsut look how many happy customers are on this site!).

That 5 door XC ute (that has been seen on here) has had the same two Lukey stainless steel mufflers on for over 15 years and they havn't rusted through yet (were the body has due to being kept at a beach house and only used to launch a boat! Now that is quality!).

As for the exhaust having to get hot enough for the water. Water boils at 100*C, so that about how hot your exhaust'd have to get to turn it into steam, but on top of that you've got the flow pushing it out, so the even on a fairly short trip it shouldn't be a problem!

As for the black coating on the exhaust, most Redback and Lukey exhausts can get it, I think Redbacks generally come standard with it now, while Lukey often is an option. But the exhaust rusts from the inside, so the coating doesn't do a huge amount!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3