Fordmods Logo

exhaust selection and questions 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: exhaust selection and questions
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

I have been looking at other posts about exhausts but non of them really told me what i want to know. people asking what note will i get, or what brand will have what note etc...

So more or less i found this clip on youtube of an EF with a Genie 2.5" and it has the note i am looking for. (Well while reving engine...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1s3ZBbgA3U

I have had a redback on my old EF yeah it was nice but had to much of a drone so dont really want to get a redback again. my wagon has a redback has a nice note with very little drone but still not "tough" enough.

So can any one suggest a brand of exhaust and extractors that will give me that sorta noise on the one in the youtube clip.

Also if exhausts make diff notes on diff falcons is a ED,
Also are you able to get twin pipe exhausts for I6 Falcons or is that a custom build job?


Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

twin pipes would need the rear bar altered, affecting your resale etc.. you dont want twinnies, the extra weight will take away a few extra kw's.. effectively..

every kilogram of weight you can lose from your car gives you an effective boost of 1.5kw's performance wise..

The reason why, since the 60's our cars are not getting better mileage..

The engines are 30% more efficient, but our cars are 30% heavier.. Everyone wonders why Excels and VW's are getting such great mileage, lol :P

Back on track.. The exhausts.. Ive got a set of long pacemakers with a 2.5inch exhaust, straight through cat, one muffler and one small cannon, great flow!
Sounds good while i drive it..

I think you will like the note the engine gives out when its breathing better..

Remember you dont need brand name parts, i read here or on fordforums.com.au that the ebay no name extractors were nearly as good as the pacies etc and get yourself a 2.5 exhaust from there aswell, with a single muffler and cannon or someting..

Goodluck mate

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:34 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

yeah i looked at ebay stuff, if this was my old EF thrash pig yeah id just get em there. but this is now my 2nd car so id rather spend some $$$ to get the "Sure Thing" if ya get my drift.

Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

Your running NA right?

Just as i am.. i bought my car supercharged with all the gear fitted to it.. the only reason why its name brand stuff is because of that..

I would not go past ebay for extractors and exhausts.. Save yourself bundles and you wont miss any power on a standard - moderately powered engine in my opinion.

Someone else want to back me up or shed more light?

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
twin pipes would need the rear bar altered, affecting your resale etc.. you dont want twinnies, the extra weight will take away a few extra kw's.. effectively..

every kilogram of weight you can lose from your car gives you an effective boost of 1.5kw's performance wise..

The reason why, since the 60's our cars are not getting better mileage..



so in effect if i shed 100 kgs from my car i will feel what it is like to have 150 more kw??? :shock: bwahaha thats a classic. I wouldnt trust that little gem dude, what a load of BS. Lay off the crack.

also todays cars are getting sh!tloads better fuel economy than those from the 60's. did you hit your head on something?


as for pipe selection, sunbury23, you size the pipe to the motors potential, and where you want it to make power. if its only ever going to have a small set of extractors, use a 2.25 inch mandrel bent pipe with free flowing mufflers and cat. this keeps up low down velocity for torque while freeing up the factory restricted top end. If you are going to do a bit of headwork, and/or get a cam and tune, 2.5 inch is the way to go to maximise the benefits. only ever go a 3 inch if the motor is worked pretty hard, a 3 inch will see a loss of torque down low until around 2500-3000 rpm, as going too big sees the flow velocity slow dramatically, resulting in low rpm restriction.

with the extractors go as far as you can on the budget. if you can afford comp paccies and want them, get them. if you cant, get budget ones off ebay. the difference might be 3kw and 7 nm (give or take with the brands and types). I know which id prefer on my car :wink:

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

More Grunt: dude, i said new cars get better economy.. generally speaking.. sesh.. do you read and not absorb the information ? lol

From a tv doco a month or so ago

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I don't get it either. 1kg less weigh equals 1.5kw more

I dont know if its true but me and some mates got my dads old car we took it for a "drive" then riped out the entire interior and it went a s**t load better. Any way, As for engine work when i get the time and $$$, Extractors = Yes, Cam = Yes, head work = Yes at some point, and yes it will get a turbo/supercharger at some point. may get a turbo set up soon, a mate is selling 2 turbos for $300 so if my mate dont buy em for his EL XR6 ill get em for my ED. Right now the car is 100% stock as a rock, Bar springs.
I went to 2 places today to get quotes and advice.
Quote 1: $540 for redback 2.5" cat back. 1 muffler and 1 hotdog. (2yr warranty)
Quote 2: $300 for the same system. (2yr warranty)

What would you pick :lol:

Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

$300, cheap.. glad you had some experience with weight loss, lol. Its good s**t, same they look s**t without the interior ey?

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

well this car was an old bluebird. went well with interior, after we took it out went even better. then for reason the motor went bang! so now we are sticking a CA18 (i think thats what it is) and a turbo. its gunna be our drift car (not a public drift car)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

motors, im told by my old man, go harder right before they pop.. But the truth is that a lighter car makes it quicker! Sounds like you are having a bit of fun with all this exhaust business. Ask more questions about the $300 job though, thats very reasonable ! I'd expect its no name equipment, but even so its not going to more than 1% worse then a name brand.

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
More Grunt: dude, i said new cars get better economy.. generally speaking.. sesh.. do you read and not absorb the information ? lol

From a tv doco a month or so ago


Im going to say it again... lay off the crack!!!

Quote:
every kilogram of weight you can lose from your car gives you an effective boost of 1.5kw's performance wise..

The reason why,>> since the 60's our cars are not getting better mileage..
<<

you are saying here that because our modern cars are relatively heavier that they arnt getting better fuel economy. You are wrong.

go back to learning from the TV. maybe the next show will tell you you gain an effect of 2 kw for every kilo shed ROFL....

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
Ask more questions about the $300 job though, thats very reasonable ! I'd expect its no name equipment,
you talking about the $300 exhaust or turbo? if exhaust its redback. if turbo. no idea on what brands. he is selling them for $450 to a random person but $300 for mates. he got em cheap and only really wants to recoup his costs.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

ebay extractors from dkne (dumer king n exhaust) are fkn awesome for the $$. I think I'll keep the extra 200 bux I saved, and buy a cam. I think you will gain 2/10ths of fk all with pacies over the copys - all mandrel bent, 3-2-1. I think they are 4480s?

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
-GAS-MAN- wrote:
More Grunt: dude, i said new cars get better economy.. generally speaking.. sesh.. do you read and not absorb the information ? lol

From a tv doco a month or so ago


Im going to say it again... lay off the crack!!!

Quote:
every kilogram of weight you can lose from your car gives you an effective boost of 1.5kw's performance wise..

The reason why,>> since the 60's our cars are not getting better mileage..
<<

you are saying here that because our modern cars are relatively heavier that they arnt getting better fuel economy. You are wrong.

go back to learning from the TV. maybe the next show will tell you you gain an effect of 2 kw for every kilo shed ROFL....

mate, all you have done is criticized what i have said, why dont you try and contribute something, instead of being a heathon.

No one cares for ppl who criticize others and contribute nothing, take your s**t to ebay!

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
mate, all you have done is criticized what i have said, why dont you try and contribute something, instead of being a heathon.

No one cares for ppl who criticize others and contribute nothing, take your s**t to ebay!



you absolute drongo...

Quote:
as for pipe selection, sunbury23, you size the pipe to the motors potential, and where you want it to make power. if its only ever going to have a small set of extractors, use a 2.25 inch mandrel bent pipe with free flowing mufflers and cat. this keeps up low down velocity for torque while freeing up the factory restricted top end. If you are going to do a bit of headwork, and/or get a cam and tune, 2.5 inch is the way to go to maximise the benefits. only ever go a 3 inch if the motor is worked pretty hard, a 3 inch will see a loss of torque down low until around 2500-3000 rpm, as going too big sees the flow velocity slow dramatically, resulting in low rpm restriction.

with the extractors go as far as you can on the budget. if you can afford comp paccies and want them, get them. if you cant, get budget ones off ebay. the difference might be 3kw and 7 nm (give or take with the brands and types). I know which id prefer on my car



theres a saying that goes, "dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience." You are the first idiot ive ever seen loose at thier own level. all hail gas-man, king of the morons LOOOOOL

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names