Fordmods Logo

exhaust system! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: exhaust system!
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hey ive just been gettin qoutes together for my exhaust im gonna get and its a bit more pricey than i thought...
ive got a 6 cylinder EB, ive ony done slight intake mods and am soon gonna get cam...

just want to get ur opinions.. the BEST quote i got was $1340 for pacemaker headers, 2.5 in hi flow cat and a 2.5 in lukey exhaust with one muffler an resonater..
this is all labour included.. it was 600 for the headers, 450 for the exhaust an 350 for the cat.... the rest of the money was discounted..

i only know general knowledge when it comes to this stuff but i dunno what to think of this guys offer cuz he said the exhaust was not mandrel bent but custom made cuz it gives a better sound if he does it that way and the pacemaker headers were named something which ive just forgotten and am not familiar with. eg.. not 4480 an 4499, but he said they were shorter or somethin which makes them better for street and gives more low end power which i want... this is a 'custom, place' but i wanna if this guy is pulling my leg to sell his product or do u guys agree???

i was also wondering if it is really worth it gettin a high flow cat cuz damn they are expensive but so is everythin else here i guess...
i live in sydney an if u guys know of anyone better or any other ideas please help us out!!

Cheers

at the bottom of the chain

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

the thing about the mandrel and custom seems a bit weird!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

so he wants 450 for a press bent cat back system? thats about $200 over priced. you can get of the shelf mendral bent system for $250

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yea thats fittment as well.. i asked him isnt the mandrel bent supposed to be better an he said that his custom to suit the car sounds better!!??!! i would have thought that all the lukeys came mandrel bent,,..

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I paid $440.00 for Pacey comps
$200.00 for hi flow cat converter
and $300 for my Lukey 2 1/2" mandrell bent exhaust with resinator, all new gasket, rubbers and that
$25.00 for my tip

Now those prices all include the labour

Is it worth getting a hi flow cat converter? Depends really. Chances are since your cars old, your cat converters gunna be stuffed. Now a new genuine Ford one is probably gunna be more expensive than a hi flow aftermarket one ($200), so yes it is, unless you don't mind using a dodgy broken old cat converter - or if your factory one is still in good condition.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

DAMN they wanted 900 for the pacey comps alone without fittment

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EBmate wrote:
yea thats fittment as well.. i asked him isnt the mandrel bent supposed to be better an he said that his custom to suit the car sounds better!!??!! i would have thought that all the lukeys came mandrel bent,,..

All off the shelf Lukey systems won't be mandrell bent. THere standard replacement systems are generally press bent.
However, your looking at there sports systems, which are mandrell bent

As for a noise difference between his custom system, that would more be due to the different mufflers used than the different bend typres! As for his sounding better, personally all the best exhausts I've heard are Lukeys!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EBmate wrote:
DAMN they wanted 900 for the pacey comps alone without fittment

That's just ridiculous. That's far above Pacemakers recomended retail price! There mark up must be about 500%!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

Yeah deffinatley overpriced. Can order a whole JMM exhaust for around $900. They are supposed to be pretty good.

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

high flow cat is a waste of money i think.
Its what I was told when I got my exhaust done and that guy doesnt lie to me cause I get alot of business for him.

Unless its worked hard a high flow cat wont make any difference.
As for him having a nicer sounding press bent system, i say hes pulling your leg...
The first exhaust I got was press bent custom made, I was SPEWING, same car with no headers and a lukey sport exhaust was louder and deeper then mine....

Go a Lukey or a Redback system, you wont regret it :)

Also I paid $650 for my paceys, I think they are 4499's.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

At a local exhaust shop (Tuff Muff) I was quoted $750 for a set of 4480 pacies and 2.5 inch redback exhaust fully fitted. Also at a Carline for the pacies and a 2.5 lukey system $800 fitted. There was another exhaust shop that offers "berekly"??? exhausts but never heard 'em b4 for $850, but dismissd them for the unknown factor.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

unfitted, i got quoted around $285 brand new for a set of pacemaker extractors(non competition), and should be able to pick up an exhaust for around 300. Fit it myself, and it comes out fairly cheap. From what i hear, the falcon cats seem fairly well, so i probably wouldnt bother myself

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Time to find another exhuast shop!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

80crm wrote:
At a local exhaust shop (Tuff Muff) I was quoted $750 for a set of 4480 pacies and 2.5 inch redback exhaust fully fitted. Also at a Carline for the pacies and a 2.5 lukey system $800 fitted. There was another exhaust shop that offers "berekly"??? exhausts but never heard 'em b4 for $850, but dismissd them for the unknown factor.

Yeah had tuff muff do mine. They do really good work in there. Car line charge way to much for most of what they do but are good for cold air induction fitted. Did you get the redback system?

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Ace wrote:
high flow cat is a waste of money i think.
Its what I was told when I got my exhaust done and that guy doesnt lie to me cause I get alot of business for him.

Like I said it depends! Went I got my exhaust inititally, I found out the previous car owner had gutted my cat. No one quoted me less than $200 for a universal cat converter. Later on when I changed to pacies and decided to get the cat converter done, hi flows were selling for $200, I didn't see the point in buying a universal one that doesn't flow aswell. Also if you actually look around you'll find that not all normal cat converters are the same, e.g. Ford ones have always been proven (ever since they first came on the cars) to flow extremely well for a cat converter. But the problem is by the time that the car is 10 years old there stuffed and need replacement, theres no point going second hand, and a new aftermarket hi flow is cheaper than a new genuine ford one! so in that way they are definately not a waste of money! but if your ford one is still in good condition, they changing to a hi flow is a waste

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next