Fordmods Logo

exhaust valves hitting pistons in what looks like new head, 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: exhaust valves hitting pistons in what looks like new head,
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Ok guys, new to Ford, looking at my head which looks like it has recently been re-built due to cleanliness, inlets 2.2 inch inlet and 1.8 inch exhausts. Do not look stock , esp compared to old red motor But all the exhausts are denting the pistons, miss timed valves? to much lift from cam .interior of head spot less, may been on gas? dont wanna stuff this up, although the previosedude didn't get water gallery welded near cylinder on number 6 may have caused gasket blow, otherwise deck / bores/ head very neat. have twin injector throttle body, large bore exhaust, well 2.25 id any way. Yeah I'm dribbling, but you dont get handed goodies like this all the time, but i need to know about the valves hitting pistons, all of them, all rockers and hydraulics are free, maybe de-grind cam or advance valve timing a bit. possibly losing some low down torque? ps, aircon rads from in the car make great converted transmission coolers, bit of tube and solder, works great, suits up to 351ci

Best Regards,
HANNIBAL :? :? :? :? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Just got an old EB, but engine odd, specs match stage 2 of crow cams specs?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Got any photos?

Post subject: danseddgli
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

[quoofte="Dansedgli"]Got any photos?[/quote] of air box or head? digi cam back soon, will post both

Post subject: Re: danseddgli
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

hannibal wrote:
[quoofte="Dansedgli"]Got any photos?
of air box or head? digi cam back soon, will post both[/quote] new to forums, forgive me if i stuffed up, jimrichards1964@westnet.com.au

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Of the pistons where the damage is.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Of the pistons where the damage is.
all of therm exactly the same, like small cut out as if you fitted high kickers, ( now theres a 70 term) thye looklike the inlet ones but abut 12mm ny 2mm wide bu no more than 1mm deep, wa thinkin, tell me if wrong, possiblible valve bouncing rom some overzealous rev head,or oil far too heavy not bleeding out fom hydraulic tappets/, looks exactly like you cut ya nails, the but that came off looks like the bit missing from the piston, no scores, no lateral play in guides, no marks on valves, only polished area where hitting pistons, I've seen aircraft pistons with very deep cut outs for valves, but never this, unless its over reving abuse. looks like this smilies mouth :lol: , are you able to email me, as i got a lot i want to do to this project and need real info, Torana's, Vl's ectronic probs thats me, but never been Forded before, all my mates now happy, said my nappies off.
Regards,
Hannibal.
JIMMY

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:07 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

They come stock with valve reliefs cut in the piston, you'd know if valves were hitting, usually a lot of carnage!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Post subject: EXHAUST VALVES
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:19 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
They come stock with valve reliefs cut in the piston, you'd know if valves were hitting, usually a lot of carnage!
BUT ONLY FOR INLEY LIKE MOST SLUGS, THIS IS FINE CREDENT SHAPED MARKS, NO CHIPS, VALVES IN PERFECT NICK, ROTATED WITH DIAL GAUGE, PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, ( STEP DAD ENGINEER) BUT HAS NOT SEEN THIS EITHER, NOT SMALL SCRAPES LIKES THIS, WE ALL SEEN BLOWN/WELDED PISTONS FROM HAVING TOO MUCH FUN AND HE RATHER NOT TOUCH ANYTHING NOT STOCK, MY HEAD GUYS IN ARMADALE/KELMSCOTT ARE GREAT, GIVE ME CREDIT AND ONLY FIX WHAT NEEDS DONE, UNLESS I ASK FOR HIGH PERF STUFF LIKE THE MAZDA I DID FOR FRIEND, HAD TO, I SAY HAD TO RUN ON BP ULTIMATE OR RON 106 AVGAS.
THANKS FOR REPLY
GUESS I'M GETTING THIS FORUM THING RIGHT, HOLDEN WOULD'NT LET ME JOIN CAUSE OF MY NAME.........JIM RICHARDS, IT REALLY IS

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

sounds like the cam gear was out a few teeth.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: CAM TEETH
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
sounds like the cam gear was out a few teeth.
THANKYOU, CHEAPEST THING TO CORRECT, GOOD MAN.
SURFING THE NET, TO COMPENSATE FOR WORN CHAIN AND TO MAKE SURE OF GOOD LOW TORQUE, COULDNT SLEEP THIS THING WAS BUGGING ME, SO PULLED OFF TIMING GEAR, AND STUFF ME THE ALIGNING PIN HAD WORN A GROOVE ABOUT 3MM LONG, ALMOST 5-7 DEGREES I GUESS, THATS WAY TO MUCH RETARD, NO WONDER VALVES HITTING, GOT SPARE CAM BETTER THAN STOCK LOWER THAN GO FAST THAT HAS A CLEAN SLOT FOR PIN WHICH ON OTHER CAM IS A1. . tHE IDIOT WHO FITTED SPROCKET COULD NOT OF TORQUED IT UP ENOUGH TO STOP GEAR SLOPPING AROUND, NOW VERY HAPPY CHAPPY, LESS COST AT AK HEADS NEXT WEEK. THE THINGS YOU LEARN JUST BY ASKING, TOP JOB ALL YA FORD ADDICTS.

KINDEST REGARDS,
FORD NEWBEE,
HANNIBAL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]