Fordmods Logo

Exhausts. what do you think of them. 

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Exhausts. what do you think of them.
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

hey guys, i have an EF that i have just purchased and i want to turn it into my friday night cruiser.
it has clean paint, i have lowerd it, put a stereo in it, and put a set of 19's on it.
the car came with a 2 and a half inch cat back, without a rear muffler. it is fairly loud, but i have a stock system in my shed that will fit it.
now, in the end i want to maybe tickle the head up a bit, possibly some gears and put the biggest camshaft the stock converter will allow.
so it wont be anything special.
the majority of the miles it will be doing will be on the prinny on a friday night, along side some pretty tuff VL turbo's, V8 commadores and s**t like that. i suppose i just want to ask what your opinion of a loud 6 is?

i personally think loud 6's are a bit wankey, but dont want to take it off if it will help the engine wake up with any future mods.
do you think it will?

Post subject: Re: Exhausts. what do you think of them.
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

gasdea wrote:
79raven wrote:
You hear an 8, your head turns. You hear a 6, even if its got a killer exhaust you think wanker.

i think so too.
which is the reason i do not have an exhaust on my things to do to my car now list

There's your answer.

But you said you didn't have a loud exhaust on your car? :idea:

Also please see this thread in regards to you creating this thread
off-topic-f6/low-quality-of-posts-bannings-t92196.html

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

I really think a 6 is classier with a quiet exhaust - how many times have you seen a nice car, he puts his foot down and you get a big f@rt noise and you think w@nker......when my car was a 6 I refused to put a loud exhaust on it - look instead at stock but hi flowing mufflers, eg off a larger V8 - they flow much better with no yuk noise - late model commodore mufflers flow quite well - you can even get them for next to nothing if you talk to muffler shops who do lots of commo aftermaket exhausts... autospeed did an article years ago where they flowbenched a bunch of stock mufflers, search it out, but I think VR comm mufflers were right up there...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2008 BFII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

i run a 2.5' straight pipe exhaust, its scary loud, people might think im a wanker, but hey, f**k em, im having a blast and i dont give a s**t what people think. plug it in 2nd gear and wind it up hear all the noise echoing of everything around me, all that great runoff, craking poppping snarling etc coming off the throttle and i have a riot.
and on that note, its my licence as well, so if i chose to run no muffler and take the risk, well i make that choice.
if you really want people to think you are something special for the car you drive in, buy a fezza. otherwise, tell em to stick it up there combined assess and get it as loud as you want it and enjoy your car.

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten
RED-JET - BFII Fairmont Ghia - Under Construction...
Rambo - NCII Fairlane Ghia 5.0l - just a daily runaround...

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

A properly done exhaust on a modded 6 (high compression, decent extractors, big cam) can sound awesome, especially above 3,500rpm.

A big exhaust on a non-modified auto 6 can sound ridiculous, manuals can get away with it more as they don't drone as much.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Loud exhausts should be reserved for the cars with the nuts to back up the noise. and in most cases the I6 cannot do that.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hey! i like not having balls to back it up! keeps my licence in one piece. i can sounds loud as hell and only be doing 50 :)

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Mufflers ftw. Cars dont need to be loud to be fast.

All cars should be quiet. Loud cars give me the s**t.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

My XR6 has Pacie comps, h/f cat and 2.5" system with 1 muff, 1 hotdog and sounds awesome, i have many comments about it. Its not loud but when you floor it, hits a nice raspy note. 6's simply dont put a nice note out like the v8's, so id stay on the mild side of loud as it just sounds crap. Dont have to be loud to be fast, my 6 eats holden 5l's all day

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2008 FG XR6

God I hate living in Western Sydney sometimes. I know I need an exhaust, but I'm hesistant about what to get. I refuse to get one that sounds like a V8 like the rest of the losers out my way. If I wanted a V8, I could have bought a BF GT.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hunt3r wrote:
i run a 2.5' straight pipe exhaust, its scary loud, people might think im a wanker, but hey, f**k em, im having a blast and i dont give a s**t what people think. plug it in 2nd gear and wind it up hear all the noise echoing of everything around me, all that great runoff, craking poppping snarling etc coming off the throttle and i have a riot.
and on that note, its my licence as well, so if i chose to run no muffler and take the risk, well i make that choice.
if you really want people to think you are something special for the car you drive in, buy a fezza. otherwise, tell em to stick it up there combined assess and get it as loud as you want it and enjoy your car.

hahaha i had the same thing on my ef once a few years ago, 100db at idle :) sure the car wasnt fast, but man the ef 6 sounds wicked with a straight through no mufflers 2.5" exhaust and standard headers, that character of the car i miss so much :(

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hell yeah tell me about it, nothing like shoving it into 1st adn rolling down the street, ligth come on, dogs go nuts, car alarms hehehe. and great for an early morning wake up call,

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Gee, you guys must be popular with the neighbours... :roll:

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 Ford Falcon GLI Sapphire

NSW, Australia

TIAMO wrote:
My XR6 has Pacie comps, h/f cat and 2.5" system with 1 muff, 1 hotdog and sounds awesome, i have many comments about it. Its not loud but when you floor it, hits a nice raspy note. 6's simply dont put a nice note out like the v8's, so id stay on the mild side of loud as it just sounds crap. Dont have to be loud to be fast, my 6 eats holden 5l's all day

I run the exact same combo, lukey headers, h/f cat and lukey 2.5" with 1 hotdog and 1 muffler. Gives it a nice rumble at idle, well I like it and most others do. My car isn't extremely loud, it starts screaming when I hit high rpm. I do prefer the sound of an 8 but what the heck I can't grab an 8 for 2 more years.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hunt3r wrote:
hell yeah tell me about it, nothing like shoving it into 1st adn rolling down the street, ligth come on, dogs go nuts, car alarms hehehe. and great for an early morning wake up call,

best sound was reving out 1st or 2nd then letting off at 5000rpm! hahaha man made some heads turn it was the most raw sound, louder than wot.. and yes my neighbour hated me.

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next