Exhuast with a hot dog rather then muffler 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhuast with a hot dog rather then muffler
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

Hi Guys, I currently have an AU falcon with a 2.5 inch exhaust system and a single muffler. What I am wanting to know is if I upgrade to a 3 or 3.5" system with a single hot dog, will it be too loud?

The car has a turbo and atm the piping from the turbo to the cat is 3" however the exhaust is only 2.5 so might be restricting it a bit. Does anyone know how much the bigger exhaust run for? I paid $198 for my 2.5 about 2 years ago (red back)

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

3 inch i think is a bit to big for the 6's,,,a straight through 2 and half system with one muffler should get what you want,,

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

hey dude where abouts did you get your exhaust fitted? I've been looking around for systems but nothing that cheap yet. so far 220 is the cheapest so far but yeah.
cheers sam
and yeah i think 3 inch would be good with the 4 litre turbo setup, but with just a hotdog would be way too loud!
a friend of mine had a 2.6 litre astron turbo engine with a 3 inch pipe, and did that sound wicked ;)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

I got my exhaust from Jack Beedhams at Redcliffe (qld). Id like to go back there but my car is mega low and I doubt I could get up their driveway. Last time when I had the kit on not lowered I couldnt really get out!

Im defiantly going to organize to go for a 3" but I am not sure about the hot dog thing I mean it would sound ok I think? But i dont want it to be so loud that its just a 'pull me over sign'

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah it would be damn loud, however with turbo cars they tend to be a little quieter than say a NA car with the same 3 inch pipe which would be way overkill!

get some sort of free flowing muffler to go in there as well to take the drone away and you should be right. if in doubt talk to some of the turbo guys and even the exhaust shops around the place.
then again you will still get varied and conflicting information.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Go the 3" and stick the hot dog in, if it's too loud change it later.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The 3" pipe will drone like bas7ard, and be too loud, especially with just a hotdog. If you want hotdogs, have 3 of them, a little one at the front just after the CAT, a big one where the main muffler went, then one at the rear where the resonator went.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon

QLD, Australia

yep if u just put a hot dog in, it will really be loud from my experience i rebuilt my exhaust cause it was to quiet even tho it was a redback exhaust.

i tried goin 2.5 inch straight through without even a muffler ran something like 132.5 db no joke. then i put a high flow muffler in and it now reads 105 still and it sounds alot crisper and more hotter. so if ur handy with a welder do it yourself its really not that hard... just be careful of what muffler u buy because it may make it worse then it was to begin with...didnt happen to me but yer

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

If your car is turbo'd go the 3". 2.5 will be restricting it somewhat, also as the turbo takes exhaust gases to run the turbine it will be quieter than your car would be if it was na, so yeah i would be putting the 3" on without the hotdog as that would make it way too loud. When my turbo finally goes on the 1st thing im doing is upgrading my exhaust from 2.5 to 3". I just got an epa letter a week ago saying i need to have mine checked..... Im gonna get a plate made up with a few holes drilled in it that i can put in the exhaust after the cat to make it quieter for the test :) as its the loudest e series ive heard (excepting southys at the last drags with no exhaust on it). So i think id better make it a lil quieter or i will be paying for 2 tests....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]