extra air into airbox.. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: extra air into airbox..
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I was talking to a mate about putting a 2 inch pool hose into the airbox from the vents on a fairmont front bar (the same holes where you can fit the fairlane driving lights)

Will I gain anything by doing this? Extra air I know, but is it a waste of time and effort? This along with the AU XR8 snorkel...

Thanks

fast1

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

It's been done. There used to be a really good thread on it with pictures and all that. Someone might have a copy...

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Didnt the ABS module get in the way? someone said i think.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Didnt the ABS module get in the way? someone said i think.

Correct, gotta either remove/relocate the abs module or think of a different pipe location.. :o

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

different pipe location is easy!
and i think in FM! somoen was able to put a 2" pipe down through the guard with the abs in it normal spot.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
different pipe location is easy!
and i think in FM! somoen was able to put a 2" pipe down through the guard with the abs in it normal spot.
Oh yer, thats right - rings a bell or 2 now!
So, sorry, you ca ndo it without moving the abs module and can relocate the pipe easy enough..
Only i dunno where about on the gaurd he cut thru.
There was pics, did anyone happen to save em?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

its not worth the effort. I have done this and I found no benifit to doing it and in testing it showed that the ducts to the side of the fairmont bumpers actually draw the air out rather than push it in. I tested it by blockin off both my std intake and the 3" poly pipe individually and measuring the airbox vacuume under similar load conditions. with the std EF intake snorkel there was nearly no restriction at all but when running just the ducting the vacuume in the airbox went through the roof under hard acceleration.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mmm what were the vaccum readings? at WOT the vaccum should be 0 basically..
the benifit comes fromt he fact that the engine has more air to take in

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I remember when I very first got onto fordmods (about 6 months ago), someone was making a bonnet vent a little like the XR'S had. It was in the for sale section. They were only making them for the left hand side. Instead of the slots in the top of them, (like the XR'S) they had a raised, semicircular section to catch the air with some alloy mesh. This sat over a hole in the bonnet wich was almost over the air box. They were selling top airbox sections for the EA-D wich had a duct to meet up to the vent in the bonnet. The EF-L had a different air box to meet up with it. I think the fiberglass vent was about $125. Dose anyone else remember these? They looked like a great idea and I want one?

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

e-falcon wrote:
I remember when I very first got onto fordmods (about 6 months ago), someone was making a bonnet vent a little like the XR'S had. It was in the for sale section. They were only making them for the left hand side. Instead of the slots in the top of them, (like the XR'S) they had a raised, semicircular section to catch the air with some alloy mesh. This sat over a hole in the bonnet wich was almost over the air box. They were selling top airbox sections for the EA-D wich had a duct to meet up to the vent in the bonnet. The EF-L had a different air box to meet up with it. I think the fiberglass vent was about $125. Dose anyone else remember these? They looked like a great idea and I want one?

yep - the sequential scoops. not too sure what has really happened with those - there are some around that people have about. have a search in the 'exterior mods' section - you should find something a bit more there :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

sounds good....i wouldn't mind one of them either

fast1

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

fast1 wrote:
sounds good....i wouldn't mind one of them either

I've got one on my xr8.. 8-) :P

Edit: Will post up some pics when i get a chance.. have to wash the car first also.. damn rain!! :?

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

I dont remember exactly the vacuume readings however it was in inces of water but the principle is identical. I did it with a 1/2 filled coke bottle, a peice of 3/8 hose with texta marked on it and I submersed the hose in to the bottle up to a common mark. I read how much the water level rose or fell in the tube relative to the bottle and judged my results that way. from what I remember the std duct drew up about 4"where as the bumper duct had about 15" of vacuume at WOT from a standing start. This is where the most noticable vaccuume difference was. Im aware of the facts regarding manifold vacuume being at zero @ WOT however when the trottle is depressed from standing idle to max load the vacuume then extends all the way along the intake pipe and past the air filter untill it reaches equalibrium after about a second.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

If it doesn't work then it's damn shame.
I was actually planning to get some of the 100mm foil ducting hose from Bunnings, and anchoring one end to the passenger side brake duct or even to the gap in the bumper in the middle of the brake ducts, and working it up through the space between radiator and front bumper, ending with a 100mm drilled hole in the plastic cover right in front of the mouth of the existing snorkel. Just to bring additional air up from below to enging bay and snorkel.

I was hoping that might do something.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I've got prolly 4" tubing going through the inner guard from where the airbox used to live to a pod mounted under the passenger side headlight. Now, the ABS module waws kinda in the way but by no means did it make the project undoable.

The hole i created was basically 'around' the hole which takes the rear bolt on the airbox, the plumbing comfortably goes over the top of ABS module. Dunno, can prolly get an idea from pics in gallery.

BTW i have the pics from the other guy who did the CAI - anyone wants em just pop ur email addy up and i'll flick em over.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next