Fordmods Logo

extra powerfull spark 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: extra powerfull spark
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

hi guys is there anything i can buy that will boost the spark from standed for an ef fairmont 6 cheers

Post subject: Re: extra powerfull spark
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2003 BA Falcon XR6

SA, Australia

spinner1987 wrote:
hi guys is there anything i can buy that will boost the spark from standed for an ef fairmont 6 cheers

Hi mate,

Some high performance coil packs claim to boost the spark from the plugs, but the NGK iridium platinum spark plugs apparently make a significantly bigger spark and apparently affect performance.
I'm not sure about the actual benefits these items claim to have but it makes sense in theory.

Hope this helped :)

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I've fitted AU3 coil to my EF - was simple job of cutting off the EF coilpack connector and splicing the wires onto AU3 coilpack plug - just match up colours - they will all be the same except one of them might be plain yellow coming from the AU3 connector and yellow/white in the EF loom - the rest are straight same - ie. the overall matchup is yellow/green to same; yellow/red to same; yellow/black to same; and yellow/white to yellow.

The AU3 coil doesn't mount straight onto the same holes (ie. the ones on the eng mount web) - so you also need to organise mounting - either into the same location with an adapter plate or wherever else takes your fancy (and leads can reach from).

You of course then also need AU3 leads and AU3 1.3mm plugs - preferably Ford/Motorcraft Irridium or Denso Irridium (same thing rebadged?).

For what it's worth I didn't actually notice any difference by going to the AU3 coil (and I'm running a fairly big cam - ie. wont idle on unchipped ECU) - but the AU3 coil is supposed to be more reliable.

Previously I've tried running PS91 coil on my ED - with no noticeable difference in performance, but the plugs used to wear out pretty quick!

When I was just outta high school a mate with an old Monaro and worked 308 fitted a HUGE coil (was about the size of a 2L milk bottle I s**t you not! - we had trouble just physically fitting it under the bonnet somewhere - and I was terrified one of us could be killed outright if we ever took a shock from it) along with twin points dizzy plate - and after that it would light up the rears just by pressing the accelerator even in 3rd gear (previously you were lucky to manage a bit of spin in second). I understand that in theory only a real high revving and/or boosted engine should need stronger than stock ignition but it was based on that Monaro experience (ie. single biggest IMMEDIATE boost in performance I have ever seen even to this day) that I subsequently tried beefing up the ED ignition and then also my EF - but in both cases haven't noticed much if any difference. Maybe that Monaro had severe fuel issues or something that the boosted ignition overcame (perhaps he even had the timing stuffed until we fitted that setup and corrected it).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

ok cool thanks guys

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

hey I doing some book reading and come across this http://www.iceignition.com/voltage-boos ... DI-booster what do you guys think for $462 and would it be worth it or has anyone got one of these on there cars

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have a ICE 7100E Ignition module and a ICE 4200 coil. It gave a nice increase in bottom end power and made it rev smoother.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have a ICE 7100E Ignition module and a ICE 4200 coil. It gave a nice increase in bottom end power and made it rev smoother.

There you go! - that sounds to be in line with what we saw with that Monaro. &^%$# pisses me off that there's so much crap around about "more powerful ignition is pointless for NA" etc. - much like the crap about 3 inch exhaust - I've SEEN definite results from both - nice that others are seeing the same things at last :)

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

spinner1987 wrote:
hey I doing some book reading and come across this http://www.iceignition.com/voltage-boos ... DI-booster what do you guys think for $462 and would it be worth it or has anyone got one of these on there cars

That CDI booster setup is for SINGLE coil setup - ie. EA/EB/ED and EL

There are "performance" EDIS coilpacks available from the states but I'm not sure if they're good enough to do the job - and there's fiddling about with custom leads involved. My whole reason for fitting up AU3 coilpack was to have compatibility (or so I thought) with those US coilpacks - but then I discovered all the confusing stuff about leads - so have just left mine with AU3 coilpack and leads/plugs.

EDIT - Looks like MSD DIS4 or DIS4/Plus is the go for really having a go at gee-ing up coilpack ignition. My plan now is to eventually get a DIS4 unit (with the appropriate "tach/coil adapter" harness) and screamin demon coilpack. Not cheap tho at close to $700

I have searched before extensively for this stuff but foolishly used EDIS rather than just DIS as my search term - aargh!!

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

post some links up so I can have a look please

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

K - near as I can figure, Screamin Demon 31737 Coilpack (DUI-31737) is straight fit to AU2/3 - that's direct drop in replacement for the factory coilpack (as Tickford6 has indicated). MSD-5529 is the MSD alternative.

For EF/AU1 there appears to be no coilpack that has both connector and plug lead compatibility. There's coilpacks that have EF/AU1 style connectors but they need V8 style plug lead ends - ie. require custom leads to be sourced. Easiest option is grab AU3 coilpack connector with few inches of wire from wrecker and take 10 minutes to splice it on to replace the EF connector (same colours to same colours) and use one of the coilpacks above and AU2/3 leads and plugs.

I got terribly confused by all the gobbledygook that's gone on with people determined to fit hipo coilpacks with EF/AU1 connectors instead of just SIMPLY fitting AU2/3 connector - but info as I have it above I'm fairly certain is final and accurate.

Also it looks like Motorcraft WPT-1009 is the correct type of connector same/same as AU2/3 coilpack connector if people want to buy a new one rather than get one from a wrecker - or need to replace factory AU2/3 connector for some reason. WPT-1009 is the connector with few (maybe even several) inches of wire attached.

MSD DIS4 looks to be a usable system for boosting the factory EDIS ignition system (EF/AU1/AU2/AU3). I'm REAL interested in trying one of these with a 31737 coil - but they're $600-ish bucks (+$100-ish for the coil).

It comes with wiring loom that looks extremely simple to fit up - ie. you just cut the 4 wires to the coilpack connector a few inches up the loom and series connect the DIS4 wires with supplied terminals and that's it. For example, on my EF I have the AU3 coilpack connector spliced in with blade connectors on the 4 wires already - so I could have a DIS4 hooked up and ready to run in about 10 minutes flat (more time would be required to properly actually mount the DIS4 box etc. but you get what I mean).

Only thing I'm not sure about with that DIS4 setup is apparently some OEM management systems then also require some sort of extra gizmo to feedback required signals to keep the ECU happy else nothing will run. I think the only way we'll ever figure out if our Falcons will work just straight up or with one of those extra gizmos is when/if someone actually tries it. Still poking about - perhaps info on DIS4 on 2001-2005 Taurus might indicate if the DIS4 setup will need that extra gizmo (tach/fuel adapter http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=4713 ).

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 NC II FAIRLANE

NSW, Australia

What about a procomp pc91 coil and a cdi box for an nc fairlane anyone done something similar to this .what about just the coil in place of original? and a procomp coil is $35 so fairly cheap too.

If life was easy we would all be living

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

As far as single coil setups go - I ran a Crane Fireball PS91 Coil and HI6 in my ED for several months before disconnecting it all because I got no performance increase but it used to eat spark plugs.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]