Extractor install 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Extractor install
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
And as for a test pipe, go for it if you want, but there's really no need if your cat is in good nick. It's just risking a fine, plus the exhaust fumes stink pretty badly. When I installed my Pacemakers it was kind of tricky to get all the angles lined up. Make sure your catback isn't pushed backwards or to the side, or it can rattle on things/contact the diff when you go over a speedbump.

ok , also would any more pictures explain my situation ?

Nah, it should be alright unless you run into any difficulty. My 'cat' was about an inch too long, so it pushed my whole exhaust back about 25mm, which made it rattle on the diff on startup. Very annoying. Then I readjusted the cat and chopped 25mm out of the back pipe of it and it was fine. I can chuck a picture up of my cat if I have one on my phone if it will help, I think I took one while it was out.

Phongus covered it pretty well, unfortunately it's really a thing you have to do by eye depending on your extractors and the rest of your exhaust. If I redid mine I'd go with 3 bolt flanges, as they have a lot better chance of sealing than the 2 bolt ones.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Benno The Viking wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
And as for a test pipe, go for it if you want, but there's really no need if your cat is in good nick. It's just risking a fine, plus the exhaust fumes stink pretty badly. When I installed my Pacemakers it was kind of tricky to get all the angles lined up. Make sure your catback isn't pushed backwards or to the side, or it can rattle on things/contact the diff when you go over a speedbump.

Nah, it should be alright unless you run into any difficulty. My 'cat' was about an inch too long, so it pushed my whole exhaust back about 25mm, which made it rattle on the diff on startup. Very annoying. Then I readjusted the cat and chopped 25mm out of the back pipe of it and it was fine. I can chuck a picture up of my cat if I have one on my phone if it will help, I think I took one while it was out.

Phongus covered it pretty well, unfortunately it's really a thing you have to do by eye depending on your extractors and the rest of your exhaust. If I redid mine I'd go with 3 bolt flanges, as they have a lot better chance of sealing than the 2 bolt ones.

to late for me

tomorrow i got an appointment for a few hours if weather permits i will be welding it on tacking it fitting then removing and welding it all up

also my cat was screwed it just came apart so i just continued it on cheap high flow cat FTW i just hope it doesn't stink to bad

so with my extractors they look quite short , would that be for low end torque ?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

to late for me

tomorrow i got an appointment for a few hours if weather permits i will be welding it on tacking it fitting then removing and welding it all up

also my cat was screwed it just came apart so i just continued it on cheap high flow cat FTW i just hope it doesn't stink to bad

so with my extractors they look quite short , would that be for low end torque ?

Thats why they call them short runners, low down torque, long runners are for top end.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
Benno The Viking wrote:

to late for me

Thats why they call them short runners, low down torque, long runners are for top end.

exactly what i am looking for :)

just need a cam next

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2