Fordmods Logo

Extractors and Cats. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Extractors and Cats.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

I have a question for you's people with pacemaker 4499 and/or 4480 with the ending\outlet that 2.5inchs on the extractors, what is the maximum size cat can you get so the cat fits nicely between the extractors and the exhaust? (size being length)
i checked out fitting instructions and says 105mm pipe to the old cat, but i dont know what the old cat size is and im not taking my old heat shield crap off lol. So people that already have modifed stuff will be able to help me out.
thanks.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

you cant change the length of the extractors. the only way to make em fit is have the oem cat cut to size and weld new new flanges so it bolts up. any competent exhaust shop will be able to do it

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have the 4480's, and I modified a Zuna-Starker CAT to fit. I know its really long, but thats what you gotta do to get good flow.

Attachments:
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 009.jpg
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 009.jpg [ 485.85 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

^ hehe, seen this exhaust 99 times now!

best pic for the info requested tho.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

locknut wrote:

Sorry about posting it ( the pic), so much, but it gets the point across.
I reckon the std Ford CAT has a better cone/s on them than most of the aftermarket ones out there.
The thing is, if it can't begot, make it yourself ( if you have the tools, knowhow, and materials).

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

All good mate, just an observation. Here's another one, happy birthday :D

cjh, I know you've said that sys is off a BMW, is it twin 2" or twin 2.25"? For the Falcon, and the BMW (mate has a 325i that hammers with that stock sys, K&N and PowerChip) I would've thought that collectively that pipe would be too big.. Obviously it works, but have you ever had it dyno'd?

Back on track, while we're talking about cats, I got my highflo fitted with my own supplied 4499's and Lukey sys, and the shop suggested the cat be fitted further down the pipe; ie the further away, the less initial restriction. My cat sits almost in the middle of the chassis. Will get pics up soon..

I'd say it's not a bad idea, I gained 13kw at the wheels with the full sys fitted.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ok a few of you's guys didn't get the point, i know you can mod the cat back (instead of the extractors) so a large cat can fit. But what i wanted to know with a catback and pacy extractors (not cut) whats the max size of the cat so it can fit nicely. AND a*** any exhaust place can do it, anyone that can weld can fabricate this up, even i can, though i dont have welder and i found cheap exhaust place to fit them on, $490 for 4480 fitted, cant go wrong with that.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
you cant change the length of the extractors. the only way to make em fit is have the oem cat cut to size and weld new new flanges so it bolts up. any competent exhaust shop will be able to do it

Who wanted to cut the extractors.. i dont want to cut extractors or catback, just wanted to know the max size of the cat (between cat back flange and extractor flang)

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

locknut wrote:

yeah i seen it about 50 times lol

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

locknut wrote:
All good mate, just an observation. Here's another one, happy birthday :D

cjh, I know you've said that sys is off a BMW, is it twin 2" or twin 2.25"? For the Falcon, and the BMW (mate has a 325i that hammers with that stock sys, K&N and PowerChip) I would've thought that collectively that pipe would be too big.. Obviously it works, but have you ever had it dyno'd?

Back on track, while we're talking about cats, I got my highflo fitted with my own supplied 4499's and Lukey sys, and the shop suggested the cat be fitted further down the pipe; ie the further away, the less initial restriction. My cat sits almost in the middle of the chassis. Will get pics up soon..

I'd say it's not a bad idea, I gained 13kw at the wheels with the full sys fitted.

Just the CAT is off a BMW ( can't remember what model). I cut the ends off the CAT, and made my own cones for each end, and the twin system bit is 2.25".
I haven't had it on a dyno yet. I'd like to, see what its got.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

pauly_el_01 wrote:
ok a few of you's guys didn't get the point, i know you can mod the cat back (instead of the extractors) so a large cat can fit. But what i wanted to know with a catback and pacy extractors (not cut) whats the max size of the cat so it can fit nicely. AND a*** any exhaust place can do it, anyone that can weld can fabricate this up, even i can, though i dont have welder and i found cheap exhaust place to fit them on, $490 for 4480 fitted, cant go wrong with that.

Im moving to melb in 3 weeks you will have to let me know where that shop is :) Im looking to get the 4480"s fitted as soon as the money is available.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]