Fordmods Logo

extractors custom heat shield 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: extractors custom heat shield
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

because i am a P plater i am not aloud to have extractors on my car so i was wanting to know if it is passable to get custom heat shield made up so that they are covered completely.


Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1228

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

the standard heat shield covers all but number six pipe (on an eb anyway) any idiot copper wont know what he's looking at so throw the heat sheild back on (a little bending is required) and dont worry about it.

 

_________________

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED


Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

FLASH wrote:
any idiot copper wont know what he's looking


So true. a mate suggested get some bolts welded on to some extractors and then just bolt the stock one on.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1228

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

with a bit of mussel the stock one will bolt straight up. also when you bolt your extractors on note the three longer bolts that hold the engine lifting plate on to the manifold. if you cant put the plate back on use washers as their longer and wont clamp the manifold properly.

 

_________________

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED


Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: extractors custom heat shield
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:26 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

sunbury23 wrote:
because i am a P plater i am not aloud to have extractors on my car so i was wanting to know if it is passable to get custom heat shield made up so that they are covered completely.


Cheers.


far out man! are extractors ilegal for p platers in your state??

that sucks hard.. its not like they give huge hp...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 18

Joined: 20th Jan 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I fitted extractors and 2 1/2inch exhaust to mine and have driven past many cops (Victorian) and they haven't pulled me over yet.

Anyway i tried putting the original manifold heatshield back over the extractors and i found they kept hitting the extractors (even after bending) which caused smoke to pour out of the engine bay.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1228

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

i ran the heat sheild on mine for about 6 years and never had that issue.^^^^

 

_________________

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED


Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 18

Joined: 20th Jan 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I'll give it another go bending it this weekend and shall see what happens. Its possible it just wasn't bent enough last time.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 524

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Fairlaine XR, ford thunderbird

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

mate i think putting the heat shield on would be the way to go the engine would get too hot anyway unless u have hood scoops on it

 

_________________

Fairlaine XR, it’s the James Bond of Fords

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Guy on here was making stainless steel covers a while back.

I had no dramas fitting the factory heat shield over both a set of Lukeys and Pacey Comps.

Are extractors seruiously illegal? What about vehicles that come factory with them?

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 18

Joined: 20th Jan 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Sorry for taking over your thread mate. But i just fitted the factory heatshied over the extractors and bent them same as i did last time, and no problems what so ever. I don't know what caused the smoke last time.

According to the current Victorian rules a P plater cant drive a vehicle of
# An engine of eight or more cylinders
# A turbocharged or supercharged engine
# An engine that has been modified to improve the vehicle's performance.
And i think police would consider extractors and sports exhaust as a performance modification. I also reckon they will be even stricter on P platers after July 1st.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3737

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

Kronk wrote:
Sorry for taking over your thread mate. But i just fitted the factory heatshied over the extractors and bent them same as i did last time, and no problems what so ever. I don't know what caused the smoke last time.

According to the current Victorian rules a P plater cant drive a vehicle of
# An engine of eight or more cylinders
# A turbocharged or supercharged engine
# An engine that has been modified to improve the vehicle's performance.
And i think police would consider extractors and sports exhaust as a performance modification. I also reckon they will be even stricter on P platers after July 1st.


TURNING 21 BEFORE THEN!!! WOOO!
i doubt they could really say an exhaust would really give earth shattering power. if they ask why you have them, id say 'to get better fuel economy'

and the other thing you could do is chuck in a cam, if they want to pay to have the cam taken out and the thing measured i'd tell them to go right ahead.

 

_________________

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 19

Joined: 16th Feb 2006

Ride: ED XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

if your really worried just fit an AU exhaust manifold heatshield over your extractors, it takes very little modification for it to fit and covers them pretty well
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: extractors custom heat shield
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:01 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
sunbury23 wrote:
because i am a P plater i am not aloud to have extractors on my car so i was wanting to know if it is passable to get custom heat shield made up so that they are covered completely.


Cheers.


far out man! are extractors ilegal for p platers in your state??

that sucks hard.. its not like they give huge hp...


yeah from july 1 07 they said no engine modifications AKA stock.
if ya ask me an exhaust and extractors aint really modification (well not a huge one) but vicroads says other wise.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:04 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 354

Joined: 11th Dec 2007

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

Location: Scummers
VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Guy on here was making stainless steel covers a while back.

I had no dramas fitting the factory heat shield over both a set of Lukeys and Pacey Comps.

Are extractors seruiously illegal? What about vehicles that come factory with them?


no if they are factory that ok. we just cant stick em on if the car didnt some with them.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names