Fordmods Logo

falcon 6 in a light waight sports car 

 

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
skidder wrote:
andrich wrote:
P100 Ute wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:
how bout a BA i6 worked in a cortina??


now why hasnt sumone thort of this before ?


coz a 351 C is better lol


cause either you want it for straight lines or not, and if you want straight lines most people would rather an 8....and if not it weighs s**t and your better off with a lighter turbo engine

Explain, using logic, how a Clevo is better at "straight lines" then a turbo DOHC 4L.
Cause I think you are both on crack.


sorry i was assuming if you were going to the trouble of doing engine changes you would also rebuild, which for the clevo would mean a blower (if it was me)...if your comparing stock clevo to stock turbo i6 then the i6 is better.

i think personally the i6 for pure performance on the track however would be too heavy.

as an example sr20det weight=149kg....guessing i6 would be around 40kg more? Now if a cortina weighs around 1000kg, 40kg on the front would take the weight ratio from 51:49 to 53:47, or 50:50 to 52:48....you could accomodate for this in suspension (but not completely) and argue that it would be worth it having the i6 for power etc...all comes down to personal choice

i know that i have driven 240z's (one with an sr20, one with an rb25....grandfather is a 240z fiend) and that while the 25 was more impressive in straight line speed you could notice it wasn't as well balanced as the one with the sr20

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Sat May 03, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 357

Joined: 7th Jun 2006

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

thats what i meant by my comment, that a worked clevo is better. though you can get an I6 turbo just as quick and even quicker, it has no chance in hell of matching the sound of a big V8, making the V8 better

 

_________________

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 10826

Joined: 17th Apr 2005

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

Location: glenwood/sydney
NSW, Australia

andrich wrote:
thats what i meant by my comment, that a worked clevo is better. though you can get an I6 turbo just as quick and even quicker, it has no chance in hell of matching the sound of a big V8, making the V8 better
but SOUNDING better does not make your car handle better or faster down the quater mile..

 

_________________

Todd: Nurse, suction.
Nurse: The patient's not even here yet.
Todd: I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQpRYRcAiA

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 357

Joined: 7th Jun 2006

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
andrich wrote:
thats what i meant by my comment, that a worked clevo is better. though you can get an I6 turbo just as quick and even quicker, it has no chance in hell of matching the sound of a big V8, making the V8 better
but SOUNDING better does not make your car handle better or faster down the quater mile..

yeh but a worked/blown clevo can be just as quick, if not quicker then an I6 turbo, and sounds heaps better in doing so

 

_________________

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:02 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

andrich wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:
andrich wrote:
thats what i meant by my comment, that a worked clevo is better. though you can get an I6 turbo just as quick and even quicker, it has no chance in hell of matching the sound of a big V8, making the V8 better
but SOUNDING better does not make your car handle better or faster down the quater mile..

yeh but a worked/blown clevo can be just as quick, if not quicker then an I6 turbo, and sounds heaps better in doing so

So you'd rather spend more money on making the clevo quick, because it sounds better?
Personally I'd rather spend less on the turbo DOHC 4L and go just as quick for less cash.
Plus I don't have to get my hands dirty, seeing as I wont even have to open the motor or change the turbo.
How far is 400rwkw gonna get a Corty?
9s in a well setup car?
How much have you spent on the clevo to get that?
And how many blocks have you had to have sonic tested to find one with enough bore left to fix the coreshift :P

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

Exactly Steedy. To get a clevo to reliabilly produce that sort of power is going to cost a mint no matter which way you try and tackle the problem.

Turbo 6 hands down.

But whilst on topic of I6 engines and drag racing. Why on earth is it that I see more and more VL turbo's these days running deep into the 8's (on a 10.5" tire and stock rear suspension) and our 4litre motors seem to be only good for a high 9. I know of one case of a 3.3 xflow turbo pulling a mid 8 in a TD cortina (with a competition 4 link rear end and 11" rubber) but I'm yet to see similar performance from the mighty 4.0 even though on paper the 4.0 craps all over the tiny little 3.3. Both in torque and HP. Is this where a target rpm range comes into play or something?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Weight, and no one has gotten as serious as the VL boys.
Mock is probably looking good for it with the EB, running 9.98? (from memory, cant be F**k searching to back that up :p) with the motor from the EF, not in kill mode.
From memory he was going 9" cause he keeps twisting axle tubes with the borgy.
That should go deep 9s at least when he turns the wick up, hopefully.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 1538

Joined: 4th May 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Exactly Steedy. To get a clevo to reliabilly produce that sort of power is going to cost a mint no matter which way you try and tackle the problem.

Turbo 6 hands down.

But whilst on topic of I6 engines and drag racing. Why on earth is it that I see more and more VL turbo's these days running deep into the 8's (on a 10.5" tire and stock rear suspension) and our 4litre motors seem to be only good for a high 9. I know of one case of a 3.3 xflow turbo pulling a mid 8 in a TD cortina (with a competition 4 link rear end and 11" rubber) but I'm yet to see similar performance from the mighty 4.0 even though on paper the 4.0 craps all over the tiny little 3.3. Both in torque and HP. Is this where a target rpm range comes into play or something?


less weight = more traction
less weight + traction = quicker acceleration
less weight + traction + quick acceleration = good times

it really comes down to drive ability, lets just say the xr6 turbos running 9's arent the most powerful

 

_________________

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 357

Joined: 7th Jun 2006

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
andrich wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:
andrich wrote:
thats what i meant by my comment, that a worked clevo is better. though you can get an I6 turbo just as quick and even quicker, it has no chance in hell of matching the sound of a big V8, making the V8 better
but SOUNDING better does not make your car handle better or faster down the quater mile..

yeh but a worked/blown clevo can be just as quick, if not quicker then an I6 turbo, and sounds heaps better in doing so

So you'd rather spend more money on making the clevo quick, because it sounds better?
Personally I'd rather spend less on the turbo DOHC 4L and go just as quick for less cash.
Plus I don't have to get my hands dirty, seeing as I wont even have to open the motor or change the turbo.
How far is 400rwkw gonna get a Corty?
9s in a well setup car?
How much have you spent on the clevo to get that?
And how many blocks have you had to have sonic tested to find one with enough bore left to fix the coreshift :P


well yes, your either in the V8 or turbo person. why do ppl buy FPV GT's over the F6 when the F6 is easily faster, because they like the sound and what a V8 brings. So really if u want a V8 u want a V8 and wouldnt go for the I6 Turbo

 

_________________

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Weight, and no one has gotten as serious as the VL boys.
Mock is probably looking good for it with the EB, running 9.98? (from memory, cant be F**k searching to back that up :p) with the motor from the EF, not in kill mode.
From memory he was going 9" cause he keeps twisting axle tubes with the borgy.
That should go deep 9s at least when he turns the wick up, hopefully.


The only SOHC falcons into the 9's belong to Mock, Mikes Dyno and Jason Ghiller (Ghiller pulled it off on LPG). Don't know what sort of power the Mock and Mikes dyno cars are making but Ghiller was making 550hp at the wheels when he was pulling wheelspinning 10.20's 5 years ago.

That sort of power in a VL is good to go deep into the 9's. Ghiller has since improved to a 9.87 (IIRC) in his XE (quickest and fastest LPG car in AUs) which only weighs between 150 and 200kg more than a VL. Weight aint that much of an issue.

Me thinks its more to do with the power delivery and torque converter development. The VL guys spend top dollar on their converters and transmissions. Looking at what most ford guys have at the track it all seems to be of the near enough off the shell solutions. Although a dominator 2000 or 3000rpm converter is better than stock its still far from optimal. I think the ford guys are too scared of letting the bottom end torque the mighty 4.0 is renowned for go to waste with a big converter.

But if they want to chase records and serve it up to the VL brigade then they will have to bite the bullet and forget about the 0-2500+rpm range.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 156

Joined: 19th Sep 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

sorry about pic size its straight from the guys photobucket page.

as you can see changing spark plugs would be a mission :lol:

oh yeah was RWD too

Image

Image

Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 265

Joined: 2nd Jun 2007

Ride: DF LTD

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

why so far back into the chassis?
im thinking too tall to clear the steering rack maybe? or weight distribution?
lol now that i think about it there're a few reasons for doing it, but still there's a lot of empty space to fill there

 

_________________

DF LTD 4L

Pacemaker Extractors, BA cat, 2.5" Lukey single muffler sports exhaust
K&N panel filter, custom 3" piping
Factory 3.23 LSD
5 Spd Conversion, EA Box, shortened shifter, heavy duty clutch.
Lowered with Pedders
J3 Chip on the go..

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 4285

Joined: 8th Dec 2004

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

Location: ** In the Shed! **
VIC, Australia

That's amazing! :D /me drulin'

Cheers

ToranaGuy

 

_________________

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 302

Joined: 5th Sep 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

Location: Wallerawang
NSW, Australia

nah i would like to see a rear wheel drive small block v8 mid mounted in a focus coupe that would be sweet to drive oh and with hicas 4 wheel steer too hehe

 

_________________

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Steady ED wrote:
And how many blocks have you had to have sonic tested to find one with enough bore left to fix the coreshift :P


the 3rd block took a 40thou over bore and has done 35 odd passes with nitroused 500hp. it was the C4 that let go on the weekend.

you can't 'fix' core shift. you can only find a block with enough metal to take the bore you want.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names