Fordmods Logo

FG Cluster In BA? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: FG Cluster In BA?
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

As the title says would a Fg cluster fit straight in a BA and plug straight up and work?

Post subject: Re: FG Cluster In BA?
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

94edfutura wrote:
As the title says would a Fg cluster fit straight in a BA and plug straight up and work?

no

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You would have to fiddle around alot and probably get an FG ecu? so interested to see what others say :-)

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

I also think sizing would be a problem.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

well considering its a different shape for a start. then on an fg cluster you have an entirely different setup. the middle screen tells you a myriad of info, from what cd track or radio station your on, to your inst economy, to a digital speed out put plus more. im guessing it could be done with a hell of a lot of stuffing around just to get the speedo to work, if you want the other stuff to work im guessing you need the parts that read the data, then wire them to an fg ecu, then to the cluster. dont know how compatible any of the icc data reading stuff would be, plus you would also have to reshape the dash to get it to fit. also if you get a high series cluster theres other goodies on it like oil pressure, turbo and stuff to deal with. unless you have about 5 years spare to figure out the wiring and part compatability, i would suggest just buying a ba/bf fpv cluster.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phatba wrote:
well considering its a different shape for a start. then on an fg cluster you have an entirely different setup. the middle screen tells you a myriad of info, from what cd track or radio station your on, to your inst economy, to a digital speed out put plus more. im guessing it could be done with a hell of a lot of stuffing around just to get the speedo to work, if you want the other stuff to work im guessing you need the parts that read the data, then wire them to an fg ecu, then to the cluster. dont know how compatible any of the icc data reading stuff would be, plus you would also have to reshape the dash to get it to fit. also if you get a high series cluster theres other goodies on it like oil pressure, turbo and stuff to deal with. unless you have about 5 years spare to figure out the wiring and part compatability, i would suggest just buying a ba/bf fpv cluster.

All the information you have listed is available as part of the CAN bus. An assumption is that the cluster just picks what it needs and displays it.

I know someone who knows these clusters intimately that's working on it. The biggest problem hes found (apart from the size and shape issue) is that FG's use the cluster as part of the CAN bus (not just a reader picking certain information) and the cluster is a bus terminator. He thinks its something that can be gotten around, its just a matter of time and work.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

if its a bus terminator, then it would be simplified. from my personal ideas, id suggest the canbus feeds to a central location, and the cluster merely is a presenter of information if you will. kind of like a power point presentation. my thinking is that all the info is relayed to a central area for collation, and other parts of the can bus work off this common collated data. otherwise the cluster becomes a processor which complicates things. thats just my thoughts though and i have no actuallity to back this up, and im interested to hear of advances in this area. no doubt it is a possibility to upgrade, but whats the overall win for the effort? i know this is fordmods and all but seems like a hell of alot of effort to me.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

I've plugged in a FG Cluster into a BA. The plugs are identical, here were my results:

- Tacho works
- Temperature Gauge works
- Odometer visible
- With car off, headlight icon on dash works
- Indicators don't work
- Will blank out ICC screen (premium sound BA), but radio works normally
- Speedo doesn't work
- Fuel Gauge stuck on zero

It seems that nothing works because when car is switched on, the airbag light is constantly flickering at a very fast rate, along with all the LED's on the cluster. Maybe the dash has been security locked to the original car, or it doesn't like the fact that it's found an incompatible airbag control module?

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba xr6t ute

WA, Australia

chainsaw,duct tape and super glue. hey presto!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]