Fordmods Logo

fg xr8 air box into fg xr6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: fg xr8 air box into fg xr6
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford FG XR6

SA, Australia

Does anyone know the part numbers for an fg xr8 lower airbox assembly and intake snorkel?

Post subject: Re: fg xr8 air box into fg xr6
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Does anyone know the part numbers for an fg xr8 lower airbox assembly and intake snorkel?

You can't buy the lower part of the Air Cleaner but the part number for the whole Air Cleaner is
BG 9600 B $89.00 and the one listed for High Performance is BG 9600 E $284.00.
The Inlet Tube (snorkel) BG 9A624 B and costs $60.00.

I was going to try and fit one of these to my AU but just gave up. The opening is about 75-80mm and the Inlet Tube has a rectangular opening in it about 60mm long with a mesh over it.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
nitrofgxr6 wrote:

You can't buy the lower part of the Air Cleaner but the part number for the whole Air Cleaner is

I was going to try and fit one of these to my AU but just gave up. The opening is about 75-80mm and the Inlet Tube has a rectangular opening in it about 60mm long with a mesh over it.

Whats so high performance about the high performance box(difference i mean to the other)?

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
nitrofgxr6 wrote:

Whats so high performance about the high performance box(difference i mean to the other)?

anyone?

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

nitrofgxr6 wrote:
nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:
nitrofgxr6 wrote:

anyone?

so no one knows?

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There can't be THAT much of a difference. Same Cleaner element is used and I don't believe it will make a HUGE change for you. I have looked at a few FG's and haven't seen one yet, they are only fitted to HP 32V V8's.
It may be something so esoteric that it isn't worth worrying about. The inlet is the same for the V8's but the tube from the Throttle body is different, I can only guess that is where the difference is.

I have been told that people who do this change of an XR8 A/Cleaner and Inlet tube are wasting their money but I don't think so.
We have a sponsor on the site, FTG Auto Salvage who does a KIT for this exact thing. Might be an idea to drop him a line and ask his advice. He is close to you, in Victoria. Sorry I haven't answered before. :)

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

will the v8 snorkle fit straight onto the box of a g6e? or does it have a different end diameter? so i can buy the whole v8 box and snorkle new for $149, will it connect up on a g6e with no hassles? is it really worth the cash?

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The inlet snorkel is a LARGER diameter and if you can buy for that much, it is worth it. It is said that this is a great performance mod for an FG 6 and worth the effort. :)

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

I only this week went to FTG Auto Salvage who fitted the FG V8 Snorkel and lower box to my 6cyl FG and took all of 5min. And there is quite a noticble difference in performance

FG XR6 (NA) 4495 PACEMAKER EXTRACTORS, HI FLOW CAT, 2 1/2 CAT BACK EXHAUST, VG V8 SNORKEL AND AIR BOX. Custom Tune (Herrod Motors) 166rwkw, 518NM

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,
So am I right in thinking I can buy the v8 box and snorkel from ford and fit them up myself? I have a K & N filter, it will fit the V8 box no problem right? The FTG Auto Salvage ebay listing says it is modified V8 box, does anyone know what mods they do? Would I retain the top section of the 6 box and just use the bottom V8 section and snorkel. I have read that sometimes the snorkel needs to be heated and reshaped a little to stop it rubbing on the engine somewhere but if I can buy the parts from ford cheaper it would be a better option.

Jeffro73 - Just wondered how much difference you found with the headers and catback? Did you do them at the same time? I am thinking of doing the same but will prob have to do one then the other, which would you guys do first?

Cheers for help.

**EDIT**
I think the mod that FTG do is to the inlet lip of the snorkel to allow the bonnet to close as the V8 and I6 bonnet shells are different. Read that on another forum somewhere. i fitted the SS big mouth kit and found the bonnet was a little difficult to close. Just rang my ford dealer and he wants $166 for the two parts. Would have to trim the snorkel myself but saves $25 postage I suppose

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

im pretty sure they make a small indentation about half way down the snorkle so it can clear some pipes or something. they had a thread on here about it when it first came up as an idea. pretty sure ftg sells them for $165 plus post already modified too.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]