Fordmods Logo

Finally fitted Hooker Aerochamber muffler and system. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Finally fitted Hooker Aerochamber muffler and system.
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I finally got a Hooker Aerochamber muffler and had it installed with a complete sytem from extractors back (Pacemaker 4480's) - the system is 2.5 inch with a proper 2.5 inch hi flow cat, hot dog between the cat and muffler and a chamber resonator (straight thru) in the tailpipe - all the pipework with resonators already inbuilt is off the shelf mandrel bent stuff - maybe Redback? - didn't ask. The Aerochamber is Part No. 21516 which is a centre in, centre out - ie. you can see clean thru it - no obstructions in the way of the inlet and outlet. Overall if you stretched the pipework out straight you'd be able to see clean thru the whole lot from the cat outlet to the tailpipe.

The note is quite nice - possibly not as deep as I'd like (the JMM cam tends to make the engine sound more like a european sports car than a V8 tho) - but most remarkable is how QUIET the whole thing is!!

It's no louder than the off the shelf Walker system I had before - that system was apparently not truly 2.5 and had a BIG hot dog style thing that looked like something off a tractor at the front AND A STANDARD 2.25 TAILPIPE WITH MUFFLER - NOT RESONATOR - A MUFFLER! - at the rear - and the main muffler itself was a reverse flow type. The cat was one off a V6 commodore.

Most remarkable of all is that this Aerochamber setup is actually quieter at high power/revs than that previous system was - it's overall volume is very even - can get right up it in suburban street at 2 am without feeling like you're disturbing the whole block. Decelleration burble is absolutely gorgeous!

In hindsight I think just the Aerochamber muffler with no resonators would be a perfectly workable setup - would be similar in loudness at lower power than a Redback system with only one resonator but quieter up high.

The Aerochamber muffler itself shocked me when I first opened the box - it is a superficially roughly made looking piece of gear - as if it's been knocked up in someone's back shed - but when you look inside, it's got all the stuff as shown in the cutaways and it's all very nicely finished.

Oh, and of course the car feels like it's got about 20 more HP across the board :-)

It sounds REMARKABLY similar to this Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqBIJLUDXs
- Tho my note is a tad deeper than that, is slightly less raspy and doesn't of course have the Dak-Dak VFT-VFT-VFT-VFT sound at the end of decel - which that Liberty as good as it's zorst is - still suffers from.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

That was a nice sound but no way you could make it sound like a boxer?

Can you post up some pics please. I want my BA sounding like that :P

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Last edited by Slick on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:12 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yeah photos

When the clutch drops the bull s**t stops!!!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No, I don't have the boxer sound - that's the VFT-VFT-VFT sound - which I don't have - mine altho similar to that is actually deeper, slightly more mellow and even - plus it doesn't have that high rev crackle. I found a youtube of a Redback system - mine is definitely meaner tho not as loud at high revs. Off to look at FAQ's to figure out how to get pics / sounds on here. I won't be going to the hassle of establishing an account to upload to a site like youtube tho - so if that's the only way then sorry it ain't gonna happen.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Wait a while after the packing has burnt out a bit, and see how loud it then.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

how much did the new muffler, 4480's and mandrel 2.5 cost you? sounds pretty good performance wise, what about cost? drive in drive out.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

yeah im getting same headers and similar system on the 15th and got quoted $1060 fitted...very interested in price

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The 4480's I already had - I didn't clearly specify: the system I had done was FROM the 4480 extractors back - ie. cat and system. The muffler itself was just over $170 and the rest of the system was about $840 ($340 was just the cat). So $1010 all up for the system and I'm pretty sure the 4480's go for under $400 fitted?

The impressive thing is how well this muffler works considering it's a straight thru design - the cutaways you'll see - I've put one in my member gallery area - are of an offset one - mine is centre/centre - and as well as having a great note the truly amazing thing is how quiet the whole thing is for a 2.5 straight thru system.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
yeah im getting same headers and similar system on the 15th and got quoted $1060 fitted...very interested in price

hey man, where you getting that done, a grand fitted is pretty good price if all the gear is new.

Im in brissy too, so shouldnt be too much hassle finding the joint.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]