Fordmods Logo

Fitted 4480's gives EF a hideous exhaust note! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitted 4480's gives EF a hideous exhaust note!
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, I have had a 2.5'' cat back on my car for several years and it sounded good, not too loud. It has one centre muffler and the rear section just straight through. I fitted 4480's and 100cpi cat and it now sounds like a loud Hyundai with a cannon rear muffler at idle moving onto an aeroplane or some sort of jap import when accelerating. Has anyone found a combo that sounds nice, but not too loud using 4480's? I am leaning toward a rear section with a hot dog resonator welded in or a rear section with a sports muffler welded in? I guess it's the whole tuned length thing of the 4480's. I will sell them and get the 4490 if the s**t exhaust note can't be fixed.

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Post subject: Re: Fitted 4480's gives EF a hideous exhaust note!
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have 4480s, high flow cat and a 2.5" cat back exhaust (Lukey). My cat back has 2 mufflers though, it is quiet but definitely louder than stock.

Who fitted the exhaust? Might want to see if they used a new gasket at the head...a leaking exhaust can make the car sound like s**t.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

yes i have a leak between the cat and the exhaust, it makes the car sound crappy, other than that im running lukey headers and it didnt change the sound of the car at all, just a slightly deeper idle, i also had my cat colapse on me a week after fitting the extractors so i punched it out so i could drive the car and it didnt change the sound of the car, apart from having a leaky exhaust gasget none of it changed the sound very much if at all.
check your flange bolts are tight between the cat and the exhaust and replace the gasget if you didnt, also the header bolts need to be checked at the motor as they are probably loose now that youve ran the car and need to be rechecked

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Ghia '03

I have found that pacemaker 4499 a high flow cat, and a 2.5" zorst with a centre muffler and a hotdog sounds good with minimal to no droning. It's definitely not your 4480's, it's the fact you've got a straight pipe after the muffler. Either add a hotdog or a reso and she'll be good!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

ive got pacemakers, no idea which ones, pretty sure their 4480's. and a 2.5" system with no hot dogs or resonators and it sounds good... normal cat still in it, im getting a new system from high flow cat back. mines a bolt in one you buy and it doesnt fit proeprly, hits the diff and towbar and stuff under the car. dodgy previous home job, cant expect too much.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I think I'll try the hotdog. There's no leaks it's just that it has a bad note where as before the note was good. Thanks for the replies.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

As people have said already, it shouldn't be the paceys. What it might be though is your high flow cat. You said yours is 100 CPSI yea? I'v heard that 100's can make your exhaust note sound tinny, and because your lacking a rear resonator/muffler or whatever, the tinny sound would be louder than usual equaling the ricer sound you're talking about.
Get a rear hot dog/resonator, a 200 CPSI cat and it should be right. That's similar to my system and she gives a decent note. :)
Just a suggestion anyway..

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TheELghia wrote:
As people have said already, it shouldn't be the paceys. What it might be though is your high flow cat. You said yours is 100 CPSI yea? I'v heard that 100's can make your exhaust note sound tinny, and because your lacking a rear resonator/muffler or whatever, the tinny sound would be louder than usual equaling the ricer sound you're talking about.
Get a rear hot dog/resonator, a 200 CPSI cat and it should be right. That's similar to my system and she gives a decent note. :)
Just a suggestion anyway..

thanks mate, that may well be it. I'll see how the hotdog goes and take it from there lol. cheers

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

By hotdog do you mean a resonator or a glasspack muffler? I would try a resonator as it should help more with the droning (if that is the problem) than a glasspack.

Out of curiousity what muffler is on it at the moment? Also any reason for going 100cpi cat? I think you will find the cat will be to blame - very difficult to compare different mufflers but I have 4480's/2.5" standard metalcore cat/hooker aerochamber/12" glasspack set up on my car and there is minimal drone (although is louder than I would prefer).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Different fitters know different tricks to make the notes different on each car. I've got 4480's on my car & I'm not happy with the sound but its as the engine is a little rough right now.

Ive got a friend whos fit exhausts for years & he spends a fair bit of time on each car when the owners what a specific sound. He's also stated that big exhausts on VE 6's will be few & far between as they sound horrid no matter what you do. reason being? firing order '1-2-3-4-5-6'

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

If you have a decent sound system on your PC...this isn't too bad to hear.....sounds like crap on my PC ( no decent sound system ) but on a mates PC, it sounded pretty good.
http://youtu.be/Yd_teH6NP_I
And at full noise....... http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
If you have a decent sound system on your PC...this isn't too bad to hear.....sounds like crap on my PC ( no decent sound system ) but on a mates PC, it sounded pretty good.
http://youtu.be/Yd_teH6NP_I
And at full noise....... http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

We need a sticky thread about your exhaust.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]