Fordmods Logo

fitting a larger diameter throttle body on a EF I6?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting a larger diameter throttle body on a EF I6??
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Wagon

SA, Australia

Hi,
just wanted to know if any one has fitted a larger diameter throttle body, also wanted to know if you can modify the standard throttle body eg increasing diameter, fabricating new butterfly valve. If any has done this are there reasonable results????

cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

yeah you can - i *think* the AU XR ones can fit on? 73mm aren't they? tickford_6 also looked into cleaning up the existing one to get it flowing better.

the question is why though - those TB's are built to handle a fair bit of power, so unless you're really looking at putting out some serious power figures, the time & effort would prolly be better spent elsewhere...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
yeah you can - i *think* the AU XR ones can fit on? 73mm aren't they? tickford_6 also looked into cleaning up the existing one to get it flowing better.

the question is why though - those TB's are built to handle a fair bit of power, so unless you're really looking at putting out some serious power figures, the time & effort would prolly be better spent elsewhere...

yeah, like stickers on yer front fenders!!! heehee

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

I have heard that a modded throttle body does not do very much, indeed none of the tuning houses suggest to improve the throttle body.

There is always the SS inductions one though.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

the diamter of the throttle body if large enough the money would be better spent on ducting to the TB..... trying to create something alot better than the original intake design..... i.e. mandrel bent pipe intake, K&N filter, XRAU or ELGT snorkel....

BA XR8 manual ute black

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I can assure you that the stock TB is good for more than 180RWKW. But seriously, if you need to ask that sort of question, you're better of going and spending some money on real performance upgrades - cam, extractors, head work, bottom end, engine managment, fuel system.

Bigger TB doesnt always mean better. The 5.0 Mustang boys are getting 200RWKW on reasonably stock HO engines w/ 55mm throttle bodies while the guys here in Australia are busy fitting 75mm TB's and huge MAF's and not getting the same sort of power. Go figure.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Something I have been thinking about is that I need to get a pressure gauge. The type that reads a differential pressure. Then questions like the above are really easy to answer. Just measure the pressure drop and if it's too much then think about modifying it.

Does anyone know of a place or a means to get a pressure gauge. Could it be possible to build one out of an old MAP sensor?

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Spork wrote:
Something I have been thinking about is that I need to get a pressure gauge. The type that reads a differential pressure. Then questions like the above are really easy to answer. Just measure the pressure drop and if it's too much then think about modifying it.

Does anyone know of a place or a means to get a pressure gauge. Could it be possible to build one out of an old MAP sensor?

u want a vaccum gauge :) basically and u measure teh vacum at different points along the intake track.....

ohh fitting a bigger throttle body to the i6 will increase fuel eccon without increase in power and a aftermarket ecu is required.

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]