Fordmods Logo

fitting EL/AU engine mounts to EF supposed to be cheaper? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting EL/AU engine mounts to EF supposed to be cheaper?
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys,

Ive just picked up an EF Fairmont '94 model to use as a cheap daily driver... My major concern at the moment is both front engine mounts are sagged, causing some pretty bad vibrations when idling in gear and foot on the brake - apparently a common problem with these models.

Now I have seen some posts on here to the effect that the hydraulic/oil filled mounts from the EF cost an arm and a leg, and a cheaper option is to fit EL/AU square mounts, which involves also fitting the 45 degree angled mounting bracket onto the subframe.

My problem is, after dropping into Ford parts counter, im not seeing how this is a much cheaper option... The EF mounts were quoted at $293.90 each and the later mounts were quoted at $204.10 each, plus $43.20 each for the brackets!!!

Now the brackets could probably be sourced from a wrecker for cheaper, but the mounts themselves still seem very expensive... From the other posts I read, I was expecting them to be only around $30 - $50 each.

I read that with engine mounts you have to go genuine ford spares, as aftermarket ones just dont hold up well... or was that only when talking about the the oil filled ones, and there are good square type ones available for the cheaper prices mentioned? Otherwise i fail to see how people have been getting the mounts replaced for $100 - $200 all up.

Would appreciate any guidance, as i really dont want to spend $600+ to fix up the mounts!

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

they are very rare to do an engine mount in a ef.... may be common in the ea-eds but not ef/els just goto the wreckers and get second hand ones. save you 400 bucks

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods,
I'm with efgiar, wreckers!
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thats strange yo usay that though, as there are plenty of posts from people with vibrations etc, and engine mounts are often suggested as the cause. My mechanic told me the mounts typically go after 200Ks, and this fairmont has done 288K. There was also mention that lots of cab companies used to convert EFs to EL/AU style ones, as the EF ones were so expensive to replace. Ill try a wreckers i suppose, but if im going to the trouble of replacing the mounts id want to put good ones in there, dont want to have to deal with them again!

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

I was referring to going to the wreckers to get the mounts and brackets of your choice. There are plenty of ELs in my local wreckers so I would imagine there'd be plenty of choice in Brisbane as well. Pick the best of the mounts and brackets, they should be pretty cheap. I can't comment on fitting EL brackets to an EF as I've never done it myself, if cabbies are fitting them, it's probably the most cost effective solution.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I don't see why you need different brackets, I have AU mounts in my EF with the EF brackets. The only thing I needed to do was put a thinner nut in the lower end so it cleared the EF bracket.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]