fitting low water warning light 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting low water warning light
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

so today the radiator split an end tank and lucky I was driving instead of the missus else the car would be totally dead now..

so ive fitted a new radiator and all seems good..

i want to upgrade to the fairmont style low water level indicator thing on the dash...ive got a EF gli wagon...what i wanted to know is, is the wiring already in place...i realise ill need a new water bottle and xr6 dash but will i need to run additional wires in the engine bay?

I thought it might not need any extra wiring because the car already has cruise but no abs..

anyone done this before?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

also do u guys reckon it would be possible to add some sort of warning buzzer that sounds when the level goes low?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_103140/article.html

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

can't help with your question, but i gotta say the warning light saved my a** twice in last few months!

I think it would of been to late by the time the temp gauge went high..

bloody heater taps and old heater hoses :evil:

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

seen a few motors die a very sudden death from split radiators and blown hoses...know this guy that spent $4500 on a rebuild and 1 month later it died while he sat on 100kmh not realising he was suddenly out of water...holes in 4 pistons was the result

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Adding the Low Coolant sensor

This is a worthwhile modification that can be made to the EF and EL Series model Falcons, as it is relatively inexpensive to do, and it can be added to ALL Instrument clusters, (low, Mid, and High Series).
Considering the number of cases of Head Gasket Problems with the EF and EL, this modification could save you a lot of money !
The only models that do not have the low Coolant Sensor are Unfortunately, the GLi models.
The Low Coolant Sensor is integrated in to the Plastic coolant Bottle, but can be added to an existing coolant bottle.
The part you will require is 10K888-AA, the low coolant level sensor.
This part simply screws in to the existing Coolant Overflow Bottle, but you will need to remove the blanking plug first.
Once this part has been fitted, you will then need to wire it up to the Instrument cluster
One wire is Black, and is connected directly to ground.
The other wire colour, Yellow/Red, should be connected directly to the Instrument Cluster, low coolant lamp, On the Right Hand Side connector, Pin Number 3.
Finally, you will need to add the Low coolant sensor Bulb to the Instrument Cluster.
This Bulb is located right next to the LCD Panel, on the Right Hand Side (With the Back of the Instrument Cluster facing towards you). The socket for this bulb may be blanked out by a round paper sticker, simply remove this sticker, and fit a new Bulb and Bulb Holder.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

I think its in the tech Doc. :)

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Any tips on removing the blanking plug from an overflow bottle without the sensor, and is it possible to remove a sensor from a bottle to then install on another? I cant seem to do either without destroying it.
The one on my Fairmont split and the spare I had didnt have the sensor and now the warning on the dash always flashes.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

Not sure about how to remove it but you could remove the bulb from the Cluster.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I have done this swap and replace a few times so I can tell you it's a piece of cake.

The best and safest way to remove the blank (and install sender) is to use a pair of long nose pliers. I have a Sidchrome set and some older electrical sets that all work, not too thick up front.
Use this to unscrew the blank or sender from the overflow. Once out you need to grab the sender/sensor with either the same long nose or similar and pull out with an up and down motion to break the rubber grommet free.

The thread that holds in the sensor is external so you don't have to worry about that side of it when grabbing the sensor..

The sensor will no doubt be full of brown rusty residue and slime so give it a good hot water and soap scrub , check the grommet etc

Make sure the little bugger has no holes in it either if its a second hand unit, if it does it will sink and give a "low fluid" level all the times..

Hope this helps!

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

You can also buy the float separately. AU part number for this one.
You will always need a new grommet as they harden in place.

I had the tank split on me and blew a head gasket as I was on the highway and the temperature guage never moved as it needs water to show the temperature.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I think if you have factory cruise you have the high-series bonnet loom, which has the wiring for cruise, abs and the coolant level sensor. Mine is the same, I have factory ABS but not cruise. I had a fairmont bottle in with the sensor, had runa wire to the cluster, and ground. Worked fine, except the bottle started leaking. I took the wiring ang globe out, I threw the bottle and kept the sensor, I will buy a new grommet and add it to my bottle.

The problem is that The plug is there for the sensor, and the wires go back into the loom. However the wire doesnt make it all the way to the cluster. Anybody know where it ends up? Im assuming the ground for the sensor plug, which goes back into the loom, is connected. Want to connect it as factory as possible.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]