Fordmods Logo

Flash Tune - Save Much Fuel? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Flash Tune - Save Much Fuel?
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6 5sp

VIC, Australia

Im looking at buying a capa flash tuner, just wondering how many extra kms ppl are getting from a tank with a tune?...
With petrol hitting $1.60 n all....
also....
Capa Flash Tuner VS Capa Flash Tuner 2.... much difference? worth the extra $100 or whatever it is?
Thanks in Advance...

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Mate the generic tunes will give you a power gain and some extra fuel efficiency,though i don't know how much.
If it's an auto it will help stiffen the shifts.
I have the generic edit with my Supercharger and all is well i haven't tuned it yet and am making good power.
Can't wait to tune it though.
The price of these things has come down a bit so shop around.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeah i was just looking at a generic tune as my car is stock at the moment, then later on down the track i might look at getting a tune, if i get a better exhaust and intake etc...
nah ive got a 5sp manual...
best price i can find is $600 or $700 for the 2nd version from capa, i dont want to buy a 2nd hand one, i dont think it would be worth the hassle...
if you know somewhere cheaper let me know...

Post subject: Re: Flash Tune - Save Much Fuel?
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bradysarlo wrote:
Im looking at buying a capa flash tuner, just wondering how many extra kms ppl are getting from a tank with a tune?...
With petrol hitting $1.60 n all....
also....
Capa Flash Tuner VS Capa Flash Tuner 2.... much difference? worth the extra $100 or whatever it is?
Thanks in Advance...

i think flash 2 just enables you to do the loggin on a laptop in your car with the software... I may be wrong dont know that much about flash 2. could be marketing...

badcooky, didnt know you could firm up shifts from the flash tune!! thats great to hear, wont need a shiftkit now :) money saved for other mods!

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bradysarlo wrote:
Yeah i was just looking at a generic tune as my car is stock at the moment, then later on down the track i might look at getting a tune, if i get a better exhaust and intake etc...
nah ive got a 5sp manual...
best price i can find is $600 or $700 for the 2nd version from capa, i dont want to buy a 2nd hand one, i dont think it would be worth the hassle...
if you know somewhere cheaper let me know...

thats not a bad price mate... I got mine 2nd hand for $400 off a fordmods member. cost $80 to get it VIN unlocked, downside is theres no tunes when it gets unlocked. thats ok though I need it for custom tune when the day comes to put the cam in.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
thats not a bad price mate...

CAPA themselves are selling them on ebay for that...

More Grunt wrote:
downside is theres no tunes when it gets unlocked

ah ok, i didn't realise that, thanks heaps...
also, im prob 3 hours from a dealer who can unlock it...

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

My shifts where much better through the flash box,don't know if all auto's would be the same.
But as i made more power it just confused the auto a bit so i did an auto service and screwed the S5 in 3/4 of a turn and it's way better.I should of gone a full turn so i may go in again.
Short hijack Brady sorry.
There are some great deals on flash boxes at the moment and tell us how ya went OK.

BA XL ute.

Last edited by badcooky on Sat May 31, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba xt

VIC, Australia

i myself spoke to an engineer for fpr he told me for a n/a 6,if your after an increase in power from the flash tuner its not worth the money you are spending on the unit as you will get jack s**t power increase your money is better spent on other power mods

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

s**t if you do other mods you have to tie it together with a tune.
Absolute rubbish.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

starkers06 wrote:
i myself spoke to an engineer for fpr he told me for a n/a 6,if your after an increase in power from the flash tuner its not worth the money you are spending on the unit as you will get jack s**t power increase your money is better spent on other power mods

I second badcooky, thats rubbish. I spoke to Brendan Mock and he garauntees me 10 kw at the wheel on my stock au with a flash tune, possibly 15 rwkw if we tune it solely to 98 ron.

aparently the AU tune is one of the worst factory tunes, and has a bit of room in it even without mods.

but good idea to get exhaust and maybe a cam before flash tune, so you dont have to do it twice.

it cleans up AFR's and spark timing, basically all things ECU contolled.

good units.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:54 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

have you got dyno figures to back your claim? if you paid attention son i said n/a 6 not modded i dont see 600 plus dollars as a worthy investment on a n/a 6 even if you can get the 10kw at the wheels, plus paying for the custom tune
flash tuner is a last resort once you have done all your mods to get a few more extra rwkw's

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

starkers06 wrote:
have you got dyno figures to back your claim? if you paid attention son i said n/a 6 not modded i dont see 600 plus dollars as a worthy investment on a n/a 6 even if you can get the 10kw at the wheels, plus paying for the custom tune
flash tuner is a last resort once you have done all your mods to get a few more extra rwkw's

why isnt it worthy? what if you didnt want as loud exhaust? what if you wanted a stock idle, but a bit more power? what makes a flash tune no good? Thats like saying headwork is no good, coz on its own its not as good as doing the whole job.

What dyno figures would I have? Ive said specifically that this is the word of brendan mock.

If you recall the first post also its with regards to an increase in fuel economy, not power so we are both whistling in the wind matey. So far as I know You can tune for better economy with a flash tuner. I just dont know if an increase in power will come with it or not.

who cares if you dont see it as a worthy mod, no one has asked you if its worthy, just will it get better fuel economy.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

well i stated as being no good for power,just out of interest does brendan mock sell flashtuners?i would actually like to know whether or not flashtuners are any good for fuel economy myself,as any reports i have heard on it are based on power increases.
Also if you are purely after economy and power loss is not an issue,then maybe gas is the way to go, speak to someone about that as with government rebate works out very cheap to get the conversion done also gas isnt that cheap anymore, so find out roughly what you would get out of a tank
and what it would cost to fill and compare the 2 that way.
Finally im pretty sure the flashtuner 2 has the fault code scan tool incorporated into it also you can edit settings of the tune yourself such as:fuel and spark adjustment,adjust rev and cut limit,auto tranny shift firmness adjustment,and idle rpm adjustment too

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]