Fordmods Logo

Flat spot after new cat 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Flat spot after new cat
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

Bout 2 weeks ago i had some pacemaker 4480's and a hiflow cat fitted and now when accellerating i have a bit of a flat spot between 2k and 3.5k rpm
it never did it before. but the guy at the exhaust place said he's seen it before and resetting the computer fixes it, which it didnt.

has anyone had this before, or know whats causing it and knows how to fix it?

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check 02 senser?? Did they silicone sealant ??

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

and have u reset the ecu correctly?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

there no silicon on the o2 sensor.... how long do those sensors last???

yeah i reset the ecu correctly

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

yeah i know exactly what your talking about, after i put on my 4480's i had that flat spot. ive reset the ecu and changed the oxy sensor and its still there.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

02 sensors can last a very long time. but usually after 80,000km or so they start to get a little "lazy" and take longer to react to a change. but usually ur ecu adapts to this, (adaptions) but replacing it can help.
as u canged ur exhaust this would have changed ur back pressure and this could have upset the motor, to cause the flat spot ur getting.
or it could be something unrelated to the exhaust

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

fordgt290 wrote:
02 sensors can last a very long time. but usually after 80,000km or so they start to get a little "lazy" and take longer to react to a change. but usually ur ecu adapts to this, (adaptions) but replacing it can help.
as u canged ur exhaust this would have changed ur back pressure and this could have upset the motor, to cause the flat spot ur getting.

hows the back pressure effect the motor? i mean when the valves open the motor'll be running more efficently as the increased flow will be helping to draw the gases out of the cylinder head, and when the valves closed the back pressure won't make any difference as the valves closed.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
fordgt290 wrote:

hows the back pressure effect the motor? i mean when the valves open the motor'll be running more efficently as the increased flow will be helping to draw the gases out of the cylinder head, and when the valves closed the back pressure won't make any difference as the valves closed.

yes it will effect it because all cylinder exhaust port dont open and close at the same time the lack of pressure has freed the motor up alowing it to work easier but if your fuel is still the same as when it had more back pressure you will get flat spots were the fuel is to rich or lean and you notice it because you are gettin more fuel else were say higher in rev range were there is more fuel , and this is cause these motors run rich

or it could be other problem but yes i have flat spot too after new system, nothing a turbo wont fix lol

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

hrmmm well at least im not the only one with the prob, ill have a look round on the weekend and check over everything.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

left a hole so big the exhaust isn't moving fast enough out the tips, those big bore cats all useful for blown engines or only good at higher rev range.

eg: think of it as a veccum cleaner, attach a large diameter hose and it won't suck.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Thats the problem I got now with too much flow now with Extractors, Cat and exhaust and I only notice any power gains above 3000Rpm like you said

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Thats the problem I got now with too much flow now with Extractors, Cat and exhaust and I only notice any power gains above 3000Rpm like you said
Have you got your old cat? I'll bet you when you weld it back on you'll claim back what you've lost between 2000-3000rpm.

you'll need to balance whats coming in throu CAI to creat vacum. and whats going out the rear, like a vortex effect.

I too came across some flat spots back then, I worked it out by keeping everything in proportion with the engine capacity.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

put a restrictor plate in between the cat and the exhuast at the oulet end, you what 2.5" so make a plate with a 2.25" hole in it, bolt it in-line and test the power.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

When I put in my zorst, headers and cat I never had that problem. Although the cam went in about 2 weeks later...

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Post subject: flat spot.
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

I seem to remember Jim Mock saying you had to use smaller diam extractors to get the correct effect on these engines. And he has done a lot of diagnostic and developement work on the I6.
Not all extractors work well and some people would not know if the power was up or not they just think it is because they have extractors.
When you change one thing you have to change others to compensate for the original change you made.
Thats y not everybody can get power out of thier engines, its more complicated than most think. Extra power costs money, wether u like it or not u cannot get something for nothing

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next