Ford au mods ? 

Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Ford au mods ?
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford falcon classic 99

NSW, Australia

finchy wrote:
Yep, I own the exact same car 99 falcon au classic (Auto).
Ive just recently added a K&N High flow panel, SS Inductions snorkel, Adjustable shift kit, 2.5 cat-back exhaust and a new blue rocker cover.
Ive got stainless steel headers sitting in my room waiting to be installed. Im just waiting on a new Venom 2.5 100cpsi Cat converter to arrive so i can install both at once.

Out of the mods ive done so far, the 2.5 cat-back exhaust system makes the car sound awesome, and the adjustable shift kit make the car lightning off the lights. The shift kit really puts you back in your seat while changing gears, lots of chirping (wheelspin) going on during the gear change.
The car goes hard. Once ive put in the headers and cat, it should be epic. Also im going to dyno tune it after i install the exhaust parts.

But yeah, i noticed last week, after i installed the K&N panel, the car was rather sluggish and underpowered. I had performed an ECU reset a week prior to installing the new K&N panel.
But now (a week later) the car is back to normal, and pulls really hard! I guess it was just the ECU getting itself worked out.

But yeah attached is just a quick pic of my engine with the new SS inductions snorkel and rocker cover.
Attachment:
20120924_144440.jpeg

Bro the mouth on that snorkel looks soo intimidating haha ! , so with that and the k&n air filter there was an improvement ? because i was thinking about buying a k&n because well its the cheapest mod i could probally do at the moment haha.
How much did the shiftkit put you back ?

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Dont bother with j3 or anything unless ya cam it. Better spending that money on diff gears. Dont go cheap s**t skyline gears though.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 99

NSW, Australia

Dylan Au wrote:
Bro the mouth on that snorkel looks soo intimidating haha ! , so with that and the k&n air filter there was an improvement ? because i was thinking about buying a k&n because well its the cheapest mod i could probally do at the moment haha.

Well, there was a very small improvement with the K&N panel. I really didnt feel any improvement in power at all, to start off with. When i first installed it i lost power, maybe because of the ECU readjusting. But now it feels like i have a slight power gain, still really barely noticeable. I know some people find gains with different air filters, but i was expecting more of a gain.
Still worth the $80 though

Yeah i love the look of the SS inductions snorkel. I can actually shove my arm down it, its that massive!
There was a definite power gain when adding the snorkel to the car, and was very noticeable. Coupled with the K&N and there was a large power gain.

The shift kit was $115 or something. You can buy cheaper versions that arnt adjustable though. But you have to install it yourself. Its a fiddly job, but if your good with your hands youll be alright.
The AU install is a pain in the a**, because of the massive pop-rivet you HAVE to drill out. And the other plastic things that hold it in are pretty annoying aswell.

If you dont have any other intake mods, and your thinking of installing the K&N, i dont think you will find any power gains/maybe a very small one. The stock intake it too small. It will just be for show.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

finchy wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:

Well, there was a very small improvement with the K&N panel. I really didnt feel any improvement in power at all, to start off with. When i first installed it i lost power, maybe because of the ECU readjusting. But now it feels like i have a slight power gain, still really barely noticeable. I know some people find gains with different air filters, but i was expecting more of a gain.

Yeah i love the look of the SS inductions snorkel. I can actually shove my arm down it, its that massive!
There was a definite power gain when adding the snorkel to the car, and was very noticeable. Coupled with the K&N and there was a large power gain.

The shift kit was $115 or something. You can buy cheaper versions that arnt adjustable though. But you have to install it yourself. Its a fiddly job, but if your good with your hands youll be alright.
The AU install is a pain in the a**, because of the massive pop-rivet you HAVE to drill out. And the other plastic things that hold it in are pretty annoying aswell.

If you dont have any other intake mods, and your thinking of installing the K&N, i dont think you will find any power gains/maybe a very small one. The stock intake it too small. It will just be for show.

Very well said

Cant wait till you get the extractors done and cat to review the amount of butt dyno power you get from it

i want to take my car for a spin soooo bad ive done so much to it since ive last driven it cant though no license :(

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:

Very well said

Thankyou, i was still drunk when i posted this. hahaha

EF_wanabe wrote:
Cant wait till you get the extractors done and cat to review the amount of butt dyno power you get from it

Ive got both sitting in my boot ready to be installed. Im booked in on Tuesday to get them put in. Since the extractors are an unknown brand/custom made, the guy can't guarantee that they will actually fit. Probably should have gone with a branded set of extractors, rather than the cheap good looking ones.

EF_wanabe wrote:
i want to take my car for a spin soooo bad ive done so much to it since ive last driven it cant though no license

hahaha dam man, i feel sorry for you. Well i guess when you finally drive it, it will be epic.

On a completely random note, it took me 8 hours to get back to sydney yesterday from bathurst.
The roads were closed due to snow and black ice, so i decided to drive to mudgee then newcastle then back to sydney. Covered like 600km in my AU. It handles speed soo well! At 100km/h it feels a little unstable but once it gets to 110km/h or higher (no i didnt speed... much) it feels so smooth to drive.
But yeah had zero problems with it all the way home! Burnt through a whole tank of fuel though.

Did a couple of laps of mt panorama when i was in bathurst, man, i love my car. Soo much power
It only just got beaten by a tuned s2000 off the lights the other week. Im pretty sure i was spinning the tyres, cos it just went nowhere for a few seconds. But this was when my car had no power due to the new air filter.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dam it you went to Bathurst so not fair my spring and shock combo i bought over a month ago are there.

ahh its ok an S2000 is a quick car hell top gear loved it

there extractors should be fine , exhaust shops just don't like it when people don't buy there stuff and you bring your own in , its so unfair

whats the price to get the cat welded to the extractors and then fitted ?

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The guy couldn't give me a price until he had seen the extractors.
Im planning to flange up the cat to the extractors and then either flange or weld it to the rest of the exhaust.
Im hoping it will cost around $200, but i wont know until the day.

And talking about going to bathurst... I only just realised that the annual cruise to bathurst for fordmods is today. Dam it! I should have just stayed in bathurst a couple more days! I would have driven back to bathurst, but i have work :(

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hopefully it goes well the installation , are these extractors the chrome/really shiny ones on ebay ?

ahhh my EA got taken out on a private road today felt quite good but only took it to 70km and one 1st gear pull then it was time to hide her

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

finchy wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:

Where abouts did you get the ss induction snorkel ? and was it easy to install ?

And witht he shiftkit what do you mean adjustable ?

Your car sounds exactly how i want mine done haha :)

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dylan Au wrote:
finchy wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:

Where abouts did you get the ss induction snorkel ? and was it easy to install ?

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ducts_id=1

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ducts_id=3

pick one :) id rather the $75 one due to im tight

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if your really tight and like doing stuff your self? you can make your own shift kit under $20.
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/shift-kit-do-it-yourself-t2378.html?hilit=shift kit do it your self

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if your really tight and like doing stuff your self? you can make your own shift kit under $20.
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/shift-kit-do-it-yourself-t2378.html?hilit=shift kit do it your self

nice you bet me in being tight

to bad i cant get one of these shift kits in my car its all hydro so unfair

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Dylan Au wrote:

Well, i bought my SS inductions intake off ebay. It was used, but had no cracks or damage. I was really happy that i got it for $130, because brand new they are worth up around $300!!! And i personally dont think they are worth that much.
The brand new ones require you to mod (cut a bigger hole) out of the airbox so that the massive snorkel tube fits into it. Probably wouldnt be that hard, as the airbox plastic isnt stupidly thick.
But the one i bought off ebay was already modded and came with the airbox aswell! So it was a straight swap and go for me!

Well if you check out the photo of mine (gallery.php?img=23977&mid=-1) I bought the adjustable one. As you can see there is a switch (switches the unit on/off) and a turnable nob. When the switch is off, the car changes gear normally, rather slowly. When the switch is on, you can turn the nob to your desired level of shift firmness. (Or as i find it, desired level of chirping).
The kit itself is pretty plain simple. Installation was just annoying... Only because i own an AU. That pop rivet is the worst thing ford have ever done! Purely because i didnt have the tools to remove it. It took me a good two hours getting that rivet out, but after that its just following the instructions that come with the unit, and join up all the wires correctly, and hey! Your car is awesome!

Yay! Im paving the way for someone else! Well, if i run into problems, you'll know how to avoid them!

EF_wanabe wrote:
hopefully it goes well the installation , are these extractors the chrome/really shiny ones on ebay ?

ahhh my EA got taken out on a private road today felt quite good but only took it to 70km and one 1st gear pull then it was time to hide her

These are the ones ive got sitting in my car, waiting to be installed (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EA-EB-E ... 500wt_1180)
The only problem that i have with them at the moment is that the stainless steel seems a little too thin. It looks like its over 1mm thick, but yeah, just have to wait and see how it sounds.
Oh yeah, id better make a comparison video and chuck it up on youtube.

Hahaha dam man, shame you cant drive it freely like the rest of us :(
What mods do you have on yours?

Oh, and question to anybody...
Advantages of installing the Wade Cam AU1645?
What can i expect from installing it? Low or High end power gains?
Will i gain a deeper exhaust note, or will there be no or minor change?
And is it hard to personally install a cam, or a trip to the mechanics shop?
Thanks!

Sooooo much typing...

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:
finchy wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ducts_id=1

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ducts_id=3

pick one :) id rather the $75 one due to im tight

Ok im lost, is this the shiftkit thats like paddleshift and so on ?

Please exlpain sorry man haha relatively new to this type of stuff

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Dylan Au wrote:
Ok im lost, is this the shiftkit thats like paddleshift and so on ?

Please exlpain sorry man haha relatively new to this type of stuff

Ok, so, all you get is a little box, that contains a computer chip, that wires into your ECU of your car. When you turn it on, it makes the automatic shifts firmer, with no 'downtime' or 'lag' between the gear shifts. Its just like driving a manual, with no clutch, and obviously it shifts for you cos its an auto.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next