Fordmods Logo

Ford au mods ? 

Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Ford au mods ?
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford falcon classic 99

NSW, Australia

Hows it going guys, just after some ideas on what to do to my car next.

I own a 1999 ford falcon au classic and it runs like a dream and is in great condition, i recently just got a 2.5" exhaust from the catback and i dont know what to do next ( engine wise ofcourse ).

So whats some ideas to gain little bits of power or even to make it more responsive ?

Cheers guys hopefully talk to you all soon

Post subject: Re: Ford au mods ?
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i would recommend a set of extractor's

and a cam , in which ever order you would like

extractors would probably set you back $300-500 , and a cam regrind i believe $200-250

i think i have heard of people using XR6T snorkels for more air intake just need somebody to confirm

then once you got the cam and extractor's i would probably look for a diff change XR something with a higher ratio then a J3 chip + tune

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:

extractors would probably set you back $300-500 , and a cam regrind i believe $200-250

i think i have heard of people using XR6T snorkels for more air intake just need somebody to confirm

then once you got the cam and extractor's i would probably look for a diff change XR something with a higher ratio then a J3 chip + tune

Thanks heaps mate , i already planned on extractors. would a high flow cat make a difference ?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Dylan Au wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

Thanks heaps mate , i already planned on extractors. would a high flow cat make a difference ?

A complete cat back system will get better gains. a 2 1/2 system with a hi flow cat will suit nice, give a better note as well over the stock item.

A manual conversion will wake it up as well.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

3.45:1 lsd diff gears from an Xr6 will be the best bang-for-your-buck mod, make sure you get the speed sender for the gearbox and you won't have any speedo issues. You could get 3.7/3.89/4.11:1 ratio gears from r31 series nissan skylines and they will fit the ford diff centre. They are a better ratio IMHO, but require extra work to get the speedo corrected.

Other than that a nice set of tuned length extractors, high flow cat and 2.5 inch catback will help the old 4.0 breath.

A set of low/superlow springs and shocks will help it corner, and some slotted rotors will help it stop the extra punt.

If you really feel the need for more power after that, an aftermarket cam and tune should be the next box to tick.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Dylan Au wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

A complete cat back system will get better gains. a 2 1/2 system with a hi flow cat will suit nice, give a better note as well over the stock item.

A manual conversion will wake it up as well.

wait so the cat back will give better gains vs just the extractor's?

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
3.45:1 lsd diff gears from an Xr6 will be the best bang-for-your-buck mod, make sure you get the speed sender for the gearbox and you won't have any speedo issues. You could get 3.7/3.89/4.11:1 ratio gears from r31 series nissan skylines and they will fit the ford diff centre. They are a better ratio IMHO, but require extra work to get the speedo corrected.

Other than that a nice set of tuned length extractors, high flow cat and 2.5 inch catback will help the old 4.0 breath.

A set of low/superlow springs and shocks will help it corner, and some slotted rotors will help it stop the extra punt.

If you really feel the need for more power after that, an aftermarket cam and tune should be the next box to tick.

Ok cheers heaps mate, gonna look into this.

First priority will be high flow cat and extractors.

Then i'll look into the more intense stuff and im looking around for some super low springs but cant find any and would rather wait until i get my rims then get it lowered so it doesnt look disgusting

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

First, I would get the breathing sorted:
- extractors are a must have
- high-flow cat can't hurt, but many say the stock cat is fine if it's in good condition
- XR6T or XR8 snorkel is a straight bolt-in, it's cheap, and breaths much better
- high-flow panel air filter (K&N, Simota, Airhog, etc)
- BA induction tube and airbox exit mod (see tech docs)

Then:
- cam upgrade, but keep it mild, especially if you are staying with the auto
- get your torque convertor high-stalled to match the cam - a cam one step hotter than the XR6 would respond well to a 2500-2700 rpm stall without messing up driveability
- an XR6 fuel pressure regulator might be a good idea, but will need either an XR6 ECU or a J3 chip
- tie it all together with a custom-programmed J3 chip - a bargain from TI Performance
- definitely 3.45 LSD diff from an XR6 - along with the high-stall, this will really wake up the Falcon's lazy first gear.
- If you have the money, a competent dyno tune would milk the mods for all they're worth

This should give you a decent performance boost without taking the head off the engine. Beyond that, you can get the head shaved, ported and multi-angled, underdrive pulleys, manual conversion, etc.

You've probably already done this, but make sure your ignition and fuel systems are up to the task before you even start: leads, plugs, coilpack, fuel filter, injectors, etc.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Cheers for all the help guys.

Yes i noticed that first gear is abit sluggish and isn't as quick off the start but it gets the job done also when first gear changes to second it like pulls really hard or jolts you could say cant really describe it but its not smooth so would i be due for a timing belt or gearbox ?

and also my car doesn't feel as fast as when i first got it.

I have done a minor service but it hasnt helped much, is it just me getting used to my car or is there any small possible reasons why i've lost small doses of power ?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 99

NSW, Australia

Yep, I own the exact same car 99 falcon au classic (Auto).
Ive just recently added a K&N High flow panel, SS Inductions snorkel, Adjustable shift kit, 2.5 cat-back exhaust and a new blue rocker cover.
Ive got stainless steel headers sitting in my room waiting to be installed. Im just waiting on a new Venom 2.5 100cpsi Cat converter to arrive so i can install both at once.

Out of the mods ive done so far, the 2.5 cat-back exhaust system makes the car sound awesome, and the adjustable shift kit make the car lightning off the lights. The shift kit really puts you back in your seat while changing gears, lots of chirping (wheelspin) going on during the gear change.
The car goes hard. Once ive put in the headers and cat, it should be epic. Also im going to dyno tune it after i install the exhaust parts.

But yeah, i noticed last week, after i installed the K&N panel, the car was rather sluggish and underpowered. I had performed an ECU reset a week prior to installing the new K&N panel.
But now (a week later) the car is back to normal, and pulls really hard! I guess it was just the ECU getting itself worked out.

But yeah attached is just a quick pic of my engine with the new SS inductions snorkel and rocker cover.
Attachment:
File comment: Engine Pic
20120924_144440.jpeg
20120924_144440.jpeg [ 192.04 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

finchy wrote:
Yep, I own the exact same car 99 falcon au classic (Auto).
Ive just recently added a K&N High flow panel, SS Inductions snorkel, Adjustable shift kit, 2.5 cat-back exhaust and a new blue rocker cover.
Ive got stainless steel headers sitting in my room waiting to be installed. Im just waiting on a new Venom 2.5 100cpsi Cat converter to arrive so i can install both at once.

Out of the mods ive done so far, the 2.5 cat-back exhaust system makes the car sound awesome, and the adjustable shift kit make the car lightning off the lights. The shift kit really puts you back in your seat while changing gears, lots of chirping (wheelspin) going on during the gear change.
The car goes hard. Once ive put in the headers and cat, it should be epic. Also im going to dyno tune it after i install the exhaust parts.

But yeah, i noticed last week, after i installed the K&N panel, the car was rather sluggish and underpowered. I had performed an ECU reset a week prior to installing the new K&N panel.
But now (a week later) the car is back to normal, and pulls really hard! I guess it was just the ECU getting itself worked out.

But yeah attached is just a quick pic of my engine with the new SS inductions snorkel and rocker cover.
Attachment:
20120924_144440.jpeg

whats the SS inductions worth just curious ?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

just so you know a shiftkit isn't going to make your car launch harder. Its only going to make the shifts faster.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Um i picked up the SS inductions snorkel already fitted to an airbox (so it was used) off ebay for about $130

But I think brand new they're worth around $250-300, and they require you to mod the airbox.
I definitely gained a bit of power by adding it, along with the high flow air filter.

Yes, i know. The shift kit wont actually increase the power of the engine. It basically stops the 'downtime' between the automatic gear shifts. So its just like flat shifting in a manual, except its easier on the gearbox because the clutch is actually used.
The shift kit in my car makes the shifts extremely firm and definitely jolts you back into your seat.
One of the best mods for your money (if you know how to install it yourself)

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

finchy wrote:
Um i picked up the SS inductions snorkel already fitted to an airbox (so it was used) off ebay for about $130

But I think brand new they're worth around $250-300, and they require you to mod the airbox.
I definitely gained a bit of power by adding it, along with the high flow air filter.

Yes, i know. The shift kit wont actually increase the power of the engine. It basically stops the 'downtime' between the automatic gear shifts. So its just like flat shifting in a manual, except its easier on the gearbox because the clutch is actually used.
The shift kit in my car makes the shifts extremely firm and definitely jolts you back into your seat.
One of the best mods for your money (if you know how to install it yourself)

is this the stage 1 shift kit ?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Unsure. This is what i bought and installed
It fits together with your ECU. A bit of cutting and soldering does the job.
These guys do a really good job, fast postage and great products.

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ppmqs6ofj1

This is what it turned out like: gallery.php?img=23977&mid=-1

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next