Fordmods Logo

Ford EF Fairmont - 290,000kms - Oil to use? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ford EF Fairmont - 290,000kms - Oil to use?
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Hey all, has some of you may of read I have a EF Fairmont with noisy lifters, tried lifter free to no go, and I was wondering if I used a heavier weight of Engine oil would it stop it until I get the money next month, currently has Shell Helix in it but not sure on what weight and stuff, would 20/50w be ok to use with this much mileage and stop lifter noise temporarily?

Thanks, oze-ford car noobie!

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Post subject: Re: Ford EF Fairmont - 290,000kms - Oil to use?
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
Hey all, has some of you may of read I have a EF Fairmont with noisy lifters, tried lifter free to no go, and I was wondering if I used a heavier weight of Engine oil would it stop it until I get the money next month, currently has Shell Helix in it but not sure on what weight and stuff, would 20/50w be ok to use with this much mileage and stop lifter noise temporarily?

Thicker oil would take longer to warm up and work it's way to the lifters after startup which would probably make your lifter sound worse... I stick to Penrite 15w-40 and have never had a drama however my EL Futura only has 110,000km... I'm not sure if different oil would be better in your mont seeings as it has 290,000km

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

What's the oil pressure like with the current oil? Do you have a gauge on the dash to see what it's doing? If it has correct oil pressure, thicker oil may not help, it might be time to replace the lifters.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

oze-ford wrote:

20W50 will be fine in a high mileage engine.....and, it's summer now anyway.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

We always use 20-50 in a car that has more than 200 000 on the clock.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks guys, might just replace the lifters rattles to help and don't like it car is off the road for now since Reno expired etc, anyone on here in Adelaide that is willing to help change them, will pay ya either or a 6 pack of cans etc :)

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh and toranaguy oil pressure is half way on the gauge, then slightly over the half way but thats all.

Sounds like lifter in the middle of engine thats making the noise.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
Oh and toranaguy oil pressure is half way on the gauge, then slightly over the half way but thats all.

Sounds like lifter in the middle of engine thats making the noise.

That seems like a fair bit of oil pressure, I would change the noisy lifter/lifters, instead of going to thicker oil.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh ok whats the best place for it to be at under or something?

cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'd be using Valvoline dura blend 15w 60

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Valvoline Durablend is a great oil - hard to beat for the money. But isn't 60 weight a little thick, even for a 290k engine?

My EF XR6 has just over 290k, I'm using 20W50 Royal Purple synthetic, and it works great. Occasional lifter ticking for a second or so on startup, and excellent oil pressure - with original oil pump and three year old lifters.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I use it my 180,xxx EF XR6 with no issues

I'm a Valvoline supporter as they produce fine oils and there is some documents I've read that proves there a really good product.

Give it a go and see what u think, and let us know...

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Put a Valvoline Max Life oil in it, and change the lifters too.

Gab

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Check out this oil test. Valvoline Durablend is the best value out there:
http://www.mamut.net/rettedal/STREETCOMMODORES.PDF

In this test, it out-performed many "premium" (read: expensive) synthetic blends and full synthetics (incl Mobil 1).

If you can spare a little extra cash, go for Royal Purple (also in the above test) - it's like liquid insurance. It doesn't cost any more in the long run, as you can extend oil change intervals safely to 10,000km at least. But use a top of the line oil filter, and change it at normal intervals.

Look for oil filters with an ABSOLUTE efficiency (not "nominal") of 25 microns or less, eg: Ford Racing Performance Parts 20 micron, Amsoil 15 micron, Royal Purple 25 micron, Donaldson High-Efficiency 22 micron, Purolator PureOne <15 micron, etc. A typical oil filter (Ryco, Fram, etc) has an absolute efficiency of 30-50 microns. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) tested this and found that a 15 micron filter reduces wear by about 70%(!) compared to an average 40 micron filter; a 25 micron filter gets you about 60% reduction, and 30 micron 50%. If the filter manufacturer won't publish their absolute efficiency ratings, there's probably a reason - so don't buy the filter. Ryco appears to be the best of the common oil filters at 30 microns absolute.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Check out this oil test. Valvoline Durablend is the best value out there:
http://www.mamut.net/rettedal/STREETCOMMODORES.PDF

In this test, it out-performed many "premium" (read: expensive) synthetic blends and full synthetics (incl Mobil 1).

If you can spare a little extra cash, go for Royal Purple (also in the above test) - it's like liquid insurance. It doesn't cost any more in the long run, as you can extend oil change intervals safely to 10,000km at least. But use a top of the line oil filter, and change it at normal intervals.

Look for oil filters with an ABSOLUTE efficiency (not "nominal") of 25 microns or less, eg: Ford Racing Performance Parts 20 micron, Amsoil 15 micron, Royal Purple 25 micron, Donaldson High-Efficiency 22 micron, Purolator PureOne <15 micron, etc. A typical oil filter (Ryco, Fram, etc) has an absolute efficiency of 30-50 microns. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) tested this and found that a 15 micron filter reduces wear by about 70%(!) compared to an average 40 micron filter; a 25 micron filter gets you about 60% reduction, and 30 micron 50%. If the filter manufacturer won't publish their absolute efficiency ratings, there's probably a reason - so don't buy the filter. Ryco appears to be the best of the common oil filters at 30 microns absolute.

Need to be careful about some Absolute filters......we found one at work that stripped the additives out of the oil..... :shock:
I use Motorcraft oil filters with the orange rubber visible at the top.....coz they have bigger holes for more flow......compared to Ryco.......your choice.

Attachments:
IMGP3191.JPG
IMGP3191.JPG [ 290.5 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]
IMGP3190.JPG
IMGP3190.JPG [ 400.92 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next