Fordmods Logo

FORD EF XR6 HEAD REMOVAL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: FORD EF XR6 HEAD REMOVAL
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford ef xr6

NSW, Australia

Im romoving the head off my ef xr falcon just wondering what fuel lines will i need to disconect to get the inlet manifold off? to scared to touch anything incase fuel starts pissing out everywhere? can i leave the injects and that in while taking off the inlet manifold?

Post subject: Re: FORD EF XR6 HEAD REMOVAL
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you can leave the intake manifold in the car, just undo it from the head and you should have enough room to lift the head out still. if you are really worried about fuel, remove the fuel pump relay, (2nd one in under the coolant reservoir IIRC) and start the car until it stalls.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah i might leave it on the and just unbolt it from the head, yeah its to late to start the car ive got abit pulled apart now, im just going off the gregorys workshop book i think it is, so you it should be right without doing that to the fuel system?

thanks

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you unbolt the manifold off the head, you wont need to touch the fuel lines.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

alright no worries, thanks

i got another question to, is there much headwork i can get done, shaved,porting bigger valves etc if the car is runs duel fuel? or is there not much you can do cause of the lpg?

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As far as I know you can still do whatever you want, but im not sure what it would run like without a tune.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

You can still do the same amount of porting etc for gas. If anything it will benefit the gas combustion more than petrol. BUT if you have an venturi style mixer, your power gains on petrol and gas will be less than they would be on straight petrol.

I wouldn' worry about it to much. I got a CMS stage 3 head, 2A Cam, High comp motor, and ran it on dual fuel for ages. I didn't even notice a difference when I removed the gas mixer in the end. But I didn't drive the car back to back, it was a couple of weekend apart. But it was no big shock, indicating gas mixer won't be holding you back too much. The gas system actually coped better with the setup than the petrol system did.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

rainoffire wrote:
You can still do the same amount of porting etc for gas. If anything it will benefit the gas combustion more than petrol. BUT if you have an venturi style mixer, your power gains on petrol and gas will be less than they would be on straight petrol.

I wouldn' worry about it to much. I got a CMS stage 3 head, 2A Cam, High comp motor, and ran it on dual fuel for ages. I didn't even notice a difference when I removed the gas mixer in the end. But I didn't drive the car back to back, it was a couple of weekend apart. But it was no big shock, indicating gas mixer won't be holding you back too much. The gas system actually coped better with the setup than the petrol system did.

yeah thats what i was planning on doing gettint the stage 3 head kit, but minus cam and ive already got the springs and was gonna get them to put them in, whats the go with vernier gear to, do they need the car for that or what? hows that work? is it easy to do at home if i was to do it? cause ive heard you can f**k the timing up if done wrong?

Thanks

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When removing the head, be very careful not to snap the upper chain guide off.....it's on the right of picture ( head is removed ) right next to the cam sprocket.

Attachments:
IMGP0718_resize.JPG
IMGP0718_resize.JPG [ 88.01 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
When removing the head, be very careful not to snap the upper chain guide off.....it's on the right of picture ( head is removed ) right next to the cam sprocket.

Is that the one that a bolt holds it on the front of the head if that's it I left in still bolted on, went to undo it felt abit dodgy so just left it. Do you know much about changing vernier cam sprocket I think it's called that. I thought I had it at TDC but looking it up on here I dont think I have. I got cuclinder 1 and 6 nearly at the top but the notch on the cam sprocket is at about 1 o clock, but my balancer mark is in the centre. Does that mean my balancer is out?

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

falcon_91 wrote:
cjh wrote:

Is that the one that a bolt holds it on the front of the head if that's it I left in still bolted on, went to undo it felt abit dodgy so just left it. Do you know much about changing vernier cam sprocket I think it's called that. I thought I had it at TDC but looking it up on here I dont think I have. I got cuclinder 1 and 6 nearly at the top but the notch on the cam sprocket is at about 1 o clock, but my balancer mark is in the centre. Does that mean my balancer is out?

Possibly......the timing mark on the original cam sprocket (when #1 is at TDC ) should be approx. 3mm ABOVE the cylinder head where the rocker cover bolts on to.

As for that bolt, it will be very tight due to it being covered in the sealant from factory.
Have you used a zip-tie to hold the cam sprocket in place ???
Have you removed the cam chain tensioner assembly ???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
falcon_91 wrote:
cjh wrote:

Possibly......the timing mark on the original cam sprocket (when #1 is at TDC ) should be approx. 3mm ABOVE the cylinder head where the rocker cover bolts on to.

As for that bolt, it will be very tight due to it being covered in the sealant from factory.
Have you used a zip-tie to hold the cam sprocket in place ???
Have you removed the cam chain tensioner assembly ???

yeah ive zipp tied the cam sprocket on and yeah ive got the head off and that all good, im gonna get the head all done, but wanted to put a vernier gear on it to, cause with the cms stage 3 package i get they supply one but i cant give them the car as all the head pulled off it so ill have to do the verner gear myself. can i turn the motor abit more with the head off without doing damage cause i think my balancer must be out then because the marks at 12 o clock but the mark on the sprocket isnt in the right position and i needed to know and it just needs a bit mor of a turn to be tdc i think cause both number 1 and 6 cylinder are close to the top???

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 EL EX6

VIC, Australia

hi here, new to the forum,,,really need help.
I changed head gasket and machined and put all the bits back/ EL FALXON XR6.
But cannot start the engine, it sounds no spark.
I am pretty sure I did every step according to the book. Any idea anything wrong?
thanks heaps

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]