Fordmods Logo

ford el airbag problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ford el airbag problems
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ive got a el that comes up with code 34 which is Airbag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
went to ford got code reset but it keeps coming back ford want to try different things to repair it, first they said to do the clockspring because that usually fixes it, i put a secondhand one ,2 actually to make sure it wasnt stuffed, tried another airbag
went to a auto elec who tried to clear it, then it came up with code 24 System Disarm Failure or Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
so now im going to change the airbag module control box under the dash, i got it out but what i want to know is are they all the same from the ef el series or will any of them work, mine is a dual airbag car
thanks
just wondering if i can put a ef module in my el so at least i can clear codes, i cant with the el one

Post subject: Re: ford el airbag problems
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

onlinejames1 wrote:
ive got a el that comes up with code 34 which is Airbag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
went to ford got code reset but it keeps coming back ford want to try different things to repair it, first they said to do the clockspring because that usually fixes it, i put a secondhand one ,2 actually to make sure it wasnt stuffed, tried another airbag
went to a auto elec who tried to clear it, then it came up with code 24 System Disarm Failure or Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
so now im going to change the airbag module control box under the dash, i got it out but what i want to know is are they all the same from the ef el series or will any of them work, mine is a dual airbag car
thanks
just wondering if i can put a ef module in my el so at least i can clear codes, i cant with the el one

there are 2 sensors,1 front radiator support and 2 under the dash,as for theparts being the same ask papa smurf,if the part numbers matchl

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

after a little more testing im now getting a error code 13 airbag circuit shorted to ground , it only shows that when the airbag is connected to the clockspring, if i remove the airbag totally it comes up error 34 which is low resistance or shorted
im think both my airbags are no good, one is from wreckers other is original, both say shorted to ground

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yes you can use an earlier module - all modules support dual airbags.

All the other info you need is here:
ford-interior-f14/ef-el-airbag-system-ready-reference-t57569.html

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ive got hold of a el module just waiting to get it back from the panel shop, getting some rust removed
thanks for all the advice been up all night reading everything i could
im still not sure if either of the air bags is actually creating a short to ground, i dont think they would be the problem ( i might be wrong )
if im getting a error code 34 when this all started then a code 23 when they tried resetting at the auto elecs
after pulling all the plugs apart and rechecking them and testing again i got a error code 13 which is short to ground, i just unplug the airbag and i got the code 34 again, the clockspring seems ok, i believe its the module
i got a 2.2 ohm resister from jaycar today so ill test without the airbag and the resister and see what happens then ill just replace the module
certainly makes for a interesting problem finding exercise
just a couple of quick questions
1. is it possible for the airbag to short to ground
2. should there be any noises from the airbags,mine sound like there is a small stone in them if the are tipped side to side
3. if i remove the little joiner clips in the plugs just to make sure they arent a problem at all, will this be ok for a quick check, the only plug i cant check is the one that plugs into the module i cant see any joiner in it,i know its there though, when i tested the wiring from the module to the bottom of the steering plug it showed a short between the wires, when i plugged it into the module the short was gone
4. if i assume the clock spring, airbag and the wiring is all good, the only other problem must be in the module with the safing sensor, is there any other possible place that these codes could be referring too

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

installed secondhand airbag module, everything worked perfectly, very happy, no error codes at all
BIG THANKS FOR THE HELP, great documents
thank you

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]