Fordmods Logo

ford fairmont ghia (duel fuel) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ford fairmont ghia (duel fuel)
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon 2001

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1997 ford fairmont ghia (dual fuel) from a dealer. Odometer reading was 190k when i bought the car. It was converted to LPG last year and dealer gave me 1 year nationwide warranty. I dont have much knowledge on cars. I got following questions....

1. Car costs me 5500. Is it right price for that model ??

2. I cant start the car when it is on "P". I have to take it down to neutral to start ?? I thought its the immobilizer....even though immobilizer is off.....still i have to put gear to neutral to start the car...

3. when switch the fuel option from "Petrol to GAS" car does not start straight away....I have to accelerate for a bit to start the engine.....is it bad for engine.....??? what is best way to run a duel fuel car.....

4. I heard that EFI engine starts on petrol and automatically switch to GAS later.....but on my car I have to manually switch to either Petrol or GAS option for start..........

Post subject: Re: ford fairmont ghia (duel fuel)
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

not being able to start in P is a bit strange....i find switching to gas from petrol..you have to be moving and foot slightly on the accelerator, i could be wrong but my car's engine stops occasionally if i dont.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

mazedau wrote:
1. Car costs me 5500. Is it right price for that model ??

From a dealer, sounds reasonable. If its in good condition then it sounds good!

mazedau wrote:
2. I cant start the car when it is on "P". I have to take it down to neutral to start ?? I thought its the immobilizer....even though immobilizer is off.....still i have to put gear to neutral to start the car...

I'd look at the inhibitor switch on the transmission, easy as to change and should be able to get one cheap from a wrecker. They do play up sometimes.

mazedau wrote:
3. when switch the fuel option from "Petrol to GAS" car does not start straight away....I have to accelerate for a bit to start the engine.....is it bad for engine.....??? what is best way to run a duel fuel car.....

A lot of LPG cars are hard to start, generally depending on the setup and if it primes the converter/vapour etc.
Pressing on the accelerator while trying to start may also cause a backfire so just be aware, this is why most setups will start on ULP and switch to LPG.
might be worth starting the car on petrol then manually switching it.
or just put up with the difficult starting :P

mazedau wrote:
4. I heard that EFI engine starts on petrol and automatically switch to GAS later.....but on my car I have to manually switch to either Petrol or GAS option for start..........

basically depends on the LPG setup, sometimes the switch setup will have a 3rd position which will force it to start on LPG.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon 2001

NSW, Australia

what is backfire....???....
I am able to start the car on GAS, however car stops soon after engine starts moving.... I have to accelerate a bit keep thing going otherwise it stops.......

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

first thing i would do is rip off all that gas s**t on your car, and then you will notice half the headaches :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

your engine stops because the gas pressure might not be up to scratch but more likley is that your engine is cold and has trouble with the has because it requires a higher temperature to vapourise the gas. start it on pertol then switch to gas while moving and when your engine has warmed up a bit....rookie mistake :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]