Fordmods Logo

FORD i6 VS HOLDEN V6 

Page 2 of 11 [ 159 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I'm gonna go the other way on the SV6, I drive one occasionally and to be honest I think my car would be quicker, and the steering wheel is yuck, that tacky plastic crap all through the car, but I still havn't driven a BA :(

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

AdamN wrote:
My EL is quicker than my mum's VX... but my mum's VX takes corner's better, but that's only cos mine's a wagon.
The VN-VY commos have a really high first gear ratio in the autos.. so off the line they'll win.. but thats all they got.

Adam If you put EF XR suspension in your wagon you will be surprised at how well it handles. A mate of mine drove mine when I first got it and he recons my wagon felt just like a sedan no body roll. Very impressed!

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

most of my mates have commo's one has a VX and i beat him comfortably, another has a VT he gets flogged another has a VN also gets flogged and one has a VR and we r neck and neck all way...all our cars are mainly stock

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

the sv6 i sometimes drive doesnt hav that gay steering wheel :evil:
as yet i only got my el the other day so i havnt been able to tinker with it yet (but its coming)

just randomly, did anyone see the article in motor where they put the sv6 (3.6L) against the xr6 turbo? the holden six auto can stil beat the falcs auto, shame they didnt show a manual comparison

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ELXR6lookalike wrote:
most of my mates have commo's one has a VX and i beat him comfortably, another has a VT he gets flogged another has a VN also gets flogged and one has a VR and we r neck and neck all way...all our cars are mainly stock

VX stil hav the ectoc engines though.....
...and for anyone thats wondering im not biased to ford or holden, il take what works better at the time :P

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Are you comparing the engines (as in the title of the thread) or the cars (as in the first post in the tread)

If engines, then I think the I6 has a lot going for it. Easy to modify, plenty of torque, smoother, etc. Just about the only thing the V6 has got going for it is package size.

The cars on the other hand is different. IMO the commy has a better auto and it is lighter. The interior of the falcon is MUCH better, and its a more comfortable ride. Manual vs manual, or commy 's' vs XR6 is no comparison IMO.

Once they are modified, well lets just say ive lined up many v6's and none have ever given me any trouble (including the performance SV6 and supercharged models)

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:38 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: svo

VIC, Australia

that artical was actualy an xr6 not a turbo so the xr6 had less power and in the end they said the falc was a better car to drive overal :lol:

black ba xr6 with sunroof = more hot chicks

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Let me be the devils advocate here....

Auto vs Auto the V6 is quicker, many of you agree with this...

The problem is that 90% of Holdens and Fords are sold with the auto. The i6 makes more power and torque but also luggs around approx 100kg per equivalent model car (exec vs GLi). Also We have longer legs which combined with the weight makes us slower initially and we waste a fair amount more fuel.

For some reason though, I still like the fords? I must have rose coloured glasses on when i look at my ford?

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

It's because not everything is about how fast it is to 100.
It's about driveability, smoothness, exhaust note too etc.

That V6 is a horrible, horrible engine lol.

When my car is idling, if I din't look at the tacho sometimes I wouldn't know if it's running.
In a commodore, you can feel it vibrate thorugh the steering wheel, and you can almost always hear that mechanical clanging going on upfront.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thats a little biased.

Im being really fair here. I think that anything with an exhaust that is not a V8 sounds pretty silly.

The i6s and V6s included here, in standard form from VS onwards, the commys are pretty smooth cars.

In all fairness, lets be real, the VN flogged the pants off the EA, the VP and EB 4.0 about even, the VR/VS VS the EF/EL about even and the AU was about even with VT. I reckon we have only edged ahead with the BA

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

My mum's VX is s**t. My dad drove it.. gave it to mum.. mum liked her new magna better. The VX does idle horribly.. you really can feel the engine rattling through the seat and wheel.
It's falcon's all the way.. but I will say that the BA is the most successful falcon and that is because it really is a much better car than the commo.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
Thats a little biased.

Im being really fair here. I think that anything with an exhaust that is not a V8 sounds pretty silly.

The i6s and V6s included here, in standard form from VS onwards, the commys are pretty smooth cars.

In all fairness, lets be real, the VN flogged the pants off the EA, the VP and EB 4.0 about even, the VR/VS VS the EF/EL about even and the AU was about even with VT. I reckon we have only edged ahead with the BA

Dude, I come from an all-Holden family. I was a Holden man all my life until it came time to choose a car. I was not stupid enough to buy a VN V6. I almost bought a VN SS, but the olds had a bit of a problem with the V8 idea dammit.

But you've gone back to all out performance again.
Were not talking about V8's either regarding engine note, and the I6 can often sound quite good really.

Regarding the VN flogging the EA, that's only really the Autos and CFi's. The Multipoint Manual EA's are just as, if not faster than the rest of the E-series - and will take out a VN.

Here's why the V6 is a rattling peice of s**t:
"both 60° or 90° V6s have somewhat end-to-end vibration like 3-cylinder engines, especially is for 90° V6. (sorry, I don’t have the theory) It needs a counter-rotating single balancer shaft, at crank speed, to suppress the vibration"

Here's why our Inline 6 is so smooth:
"Inline-6 is not the only configuration can deliver near perfect refinement, but it is the most compact one among them. All boxer engines are perfectly balanced, but they are two wide and require duplicate of blocks, heads and valve gears. V12 engines also achieve perfect balance, but obviously out of the reach of most mass production cars. Automotive engineers knew that long ago, that’s why you can see most of the best classic engines were inline-6, such as Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, Bentley Speed Six, Mercedes SSK, many Bugattis, Jaguar XK-series and BMW’s various models."

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i raced a VT commo both auto i just had my zorst at that stage and so did it and i raped it of the line all the way till i slowed down.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

VIC, Australia

the holden V6 buzzes too much, and it's very a*** in the upper range.

Compare the holden V6 to the camry or magna and it's like night and day.

Then again, compare the VANOS BMW I6 to a ford, and there's a world of difference again!

Now I'm disgruntled; before this I had been relatively gruntled

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I wonder what the holden engines would be like if they had 4L of displacement, especially the alloytec 190....

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 11  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next