Fordmods Logo

Found this in my exhaust? Help? 

Page 4 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Found this in my exhaust? Help?
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Oh, you will definitely get done for it too, in the stock falcon and all.
How many people have been EPA'd on the spot?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Oh, you will definitely get done for it too, in the stock falcon and all.
How many people have been EPA'd on the spot?

no body getting caught ,

its just wear and tear the cat must have fallen to pieces over the years its an old car after all even a BA

they will get a heat gun to the cat to see the operating temperatures something i use to cheek how the engine is running cylinder temps lol

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Cheers guys for all the help and info, much appreciated. Will check out ebay.. This redback cat has a OEM grade ceramic honeycomb substrate. Not sure what that means, is it best just to avoid that one because of the ceramic substrate? is that the same as a ceramic core?

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:
Cheers guys for all the help and info, much appreciated. Will check out ebay.. This redback cat has a OEM grade ceramic honeycomb substrate. Not sure what that means, is it best just to avoid that one because of the ceramic substrate? is that the same as a ceramic core?

Yep

Reason why ceramic is best to avoid, is because its brittle.

EG, on lowered cars the cat or exhaust can get bumped and the jarring effect can stuff the cat and break the internals.

On a metal core cat, its more duable being metal of course but cheap ones are known to fail under heavy loads (turbos etc)

So a decent metal core cat, 2.5 inch 200 cell should suit you fine.

Yeah i'm planning on getting it lowered eventually. Cheers for helping mate.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:

Yep

EG, on lowered cars the cat or exhaust can get bumped and the jarring effect can stuff the cat and break the internals.

On a metal core cat, its more duable being metal of course but cheap ones are known to fail under heavy loads (turbos etc)

Something like this will suffice
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Flow-2- ... 415e2b94c5

Never heard anything bad bout the brand so must be ok

Yeah looks good but will it need welding? Got no mates that weld and i have a budget of about $400
So might just have to go with standard :( as much as i'd love to get that one..

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thteddieboii wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:

Yep

Something like this will suffice
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Flow-2- ... 415e2b94c5

Never heard anything bad bout the brand so must be ok

Yeah looks good but will it need welding? Got no mates that weld and i have a budget of about $400
So might just have to go with standard :( as much as i'd love to get that one..

a budget of $400 ?

am i seeing things from the oxy or did you say $400 ?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

epic four page long post and nothing has even happened yet...

I've got one of those loboka cats, they look shiny when they're new, seem to work fine but they do smell in 100cell. I believe the factory spec is 250.
yes it will need welding, I would suggest, if you already have a 'cat back' then invest in a set of extractors & a cat, take them to the local exhaust shop and say "flange this cat one end to match extractors, install extractors & do one single weld back into the original system". Then you're away with more power than ever.

I give this advice as a professional welder/fabricator: exhausts suck balls. Exhaust places are set up for that kind of stuff and if you find the right one it's only a matter of a cheap cashy. Don't stuff around trying to save money with second hand shyte, in most cases it will cost you more in the long run.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

UPDATE: Got a 2nd hand cat from the wreckers. The plan is to get a new set of extractors and high flow cat when i have the cash to spare. Installed the new cat yesterday only to have a look over everything with a flashlight and discover its leaking where the cat connects to the extractors so gonna pull it all out today and try again.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Yeah i thought i used the same gasket, didn't come off when i took the old cat off.. Didn't even know i needed one haha. So where does the gasket go? Just inbetween the cat and the flange? Sorry about the questions, bit of a newbie haha. But felt pretty good being able to do it myself haha.

Yeah i have the same set up, lukey 2.5 cat back but found a small hole so looks like that will be the next thing that gets replaced. And thanks for that buddy, ill grab the WRX gasket and should be cheering.

Yeah i rang on friday and got quoted $180 for it rang a different one and got it for $90 so was pretty happy with that.

Is the car ok to be driven the way it is? Just say dad wanted to take me out for a lesson for an hour or so?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Take the old gasket off if you can, or do what i did, took it off and drew a outline of it on a piece of paper to show the size i was after and resealed it up and went shopping for a proper gasket

Gasket goo does work, but best to get a new gasket. Cost me like $5.75 or soemthing like that from Auto One Carlton. Was cheap.

Can use car, in fact be a good chance to get under it, do the drawing/outline and put it back together and go for a drive to numerous shops. If on L's, will chew up some time for your hours.

As far as the hole in exhaust, can get below stuff
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription

Yeah will jump under her and see how i go. Good idea cheers mate.

Looks like ill be off to super cheap auto when i can get into town :)

Awesome, Absolutely love driving haha especially that car.. so ill see how i go getting this gasket out. :D Hahahaha awesome :)

Yeah see how we go, muffler seems to be making a weird noise and its like there isnt enough smoke coming out the back end. So not sure but think she might be cactus. Was also sitting for a while and had a bit of water come out the back end on cold mornings.

Thanks for all the help & advice mate. :D

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Yeh easiest way i found when reusing gasket was to just draw the outline of what i needed on paper, and get a store to look into their stock. Hence WRX was best for me.

Water in exhaust is normal. once warm should be right. As long as it isnt blowing white smoke then you are ok which means headgasket leak. Blue smoke is valve rings and black smoke is rich but under WOT(wide open throttle) thats normal

If gasket isnt sealing, the gases will try to leave via less restrictive point in the exhaust, hence leaking gasket and hence not much gases coming from exhaust at the rear.

My exhaust leaked from the joins, you know where the muffler meets the rear and cos was slightly rusted together and couldnt be stuffed taking it off, used the exhaust leak stuff. Is weird fibro kinda stuff and you need to secure it with wire until it gets to temp and melts into the holes/leaks etc.

Works a treat, smoked a bit though and smelt until it sorted itself out but follow instructions.

Just got under the car undid this cat from the extractors and theres no gasket in there! Also had a look on the old cat and nothing! So im thinking it was a dodgy job to begin with, looked everywhere and cannot find the gasket.

Yeah wasn't sure if it was normal, but also sitting there with the water in the exhaust would have contributed to the rusting and that would be why i have a hole now.

Think ill need to use the exhaust leak stuff too, noticed where the cat joins to the muffler shes leaking a little. Thanks for getting me onto it :D

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

alot of the time with 2 bolt flanges, particularly the thin ones on factory cats, the 'ears' end up bending forward over time, leaving a gap in the two quarters where the bolts aren't (top and bottom), if that makes sense.
you can check this by putting a straight edge on the flange, then band aid by tapping the flanges back a bit past straight so they have a bit more clamp when tightened.
permatex make a propper exhaust flange sealant, it's your friend on second hand systems, still need new gaskets though. I also found commodore gaskets fit my 2.5 inch 2 bolt flanges. Always best to take a sample in like uniacidz said though.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
alot of the time with 2 bolt flanges, particularly the thin ones on factory cats, the 'ears' end up bending forward over time, leaving a gap in the two quarters where the bolts aren't (top and bottom), if that makes sense.
you can check this by putting a straight edge on the flange, then band aid by tapping the flanges back a bit past straight so they have a bit more clamp when tightened.
permatex make a propper exhaust flange sealant, it's your friend on second hand systems, still need new gaskets though. I also found commodore gaskets fit my 2.5 inch 2 bolt flanges. Always best to take a sample in like uniacidz said though.

Yeah that makes sense i know what you mean.
Cheers buddy. Yeah i was thinking of just taking the old cat in with me when looking for a new gasket? Just to give me an idea sorta thing.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Most certainly can do that if you can.

Yeah best way to go i reckon.. i have no idea if the old gasket simply corroded and fell apart or what happenned but looking at the cat i pulled off bosal aftermarket piece of s**t looks dodgy which is surprising as the previous owner was a mechanic at kmart tyre and auto :?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Lol

Kmart Hurstville wanted to charge me $1600 or so to do the ball joints on my ED Falcon which is excessive, and only issue is that they didn't need to be done.

:roll: Idiots. Bottom line, Don't trust Kmart haha. Atleast now this xr will get the love that she needs looks like i saved her just in time then haha. :D

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next